Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Weird Stuff This Morning

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Weird Stuff This Morning

Postby Robertfm » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:15 pm

As I already said in my previous post to you I do know that, but at least I know why.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Robertfm wrote in Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:03 pm:Well tried it and it worked like a charm. As you said though it took me to the apron in a queue and we just sat there. There was a Virgin jet facing the wrong way on the runway stopping any movement.

excellent!

FWIW: that particular situation is what prompted me to go digging into the core of FG to figure out the problem with the AI doing that... my first step was to try to figure out which craft was the one stuck... with only the callsign available in the CTRL-M map and the property tree having possibly hundreds of craft listed, manually hunting them down was not in the cards... that's when i figured out how to create a python script that queries the FG property tree and pulls information out... once i had that, it was an easy matter for me (on linux) to grep (aka text search) certain things in the output... i now have scripts that will list craft going to/from a specific airport ICAO and with the callsign from the map, i can now also easily find which node in the property tree belongs to the stuck craft... once i know the node, i manually open the property tree, go to that craft's node, into the velocities branch and give the craft a swift kick in the backside by setting its velocity to 15kph... that initially tells me if i have the correct craft because sometimes there is more than one craft with the same callsign due to a bug in the traffic manager... once i have the correct craft, i keep booting it until it is out of the way... sometimes it will go ahead and roll on its own once it is clear of whatever it detected in its proximity that caused it to stop... sometimes it takes a hard kick with a velocity setting higher than 15kph to get it to move on out of the way... sometimes they get stuck waiting to take off and i'll kick them with a 150kph or maybe even 500kph sized boot... then they really roll down the runway into the air and get on out of the way of the others... i've had to do this for upwards of 50+ craft at some busy airports before the AI start moving properly without jamming up... this is how i play ATC with the AI craft :mrgreen:

sometimes the breakage is because of a flawed ground net but the boot generally gets them past the flaw... in some cases, fixing the ground net is undertaken which may or may not be successful... i've worked on the one for KRDU for a while but life rears its ugly head at times...

Robertfm wrote in Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:03 pm:Anyway thanks so much for your patience. At least I know how it works now. Who'd have thought a simple ' was all that was needed.

yup! it works well when it works but there's still work needed to the code to finish it out... unfortunately i doubt that work will ever be done... if it is, it may be for naught if/when the new traffic manager stuff comes around and appears in reality...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Robertfm wrote in Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:15 pm:As I already said in my previous post to you I do know that, but at least I know why.

and knowing is half of solving the problem or at least making it not so much of a problem any more ;)

like explaining to a non-nerd why their computer that spends 99.9% of its time playing mp3s stutters from time to time... teaching them enough about networking and wifi so they can finally grasp the idea that the system is stealing processing cycles in an attempt to force find and connect to a wifi point made all the difference... then it was a matter of ensuring that wifi, bluetooth and similar services were disabled so the stuttering didn't happen any more plus teaching them how to turn them off if they got turned back on for some reason... yeah, i just spent three weeks doing that :?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Flying