Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Traffic in Equipment/Map Display

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Traffic in Equipment/Map Display

Postby ruhuna » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:27 am

Hi, I am still learning to fly in FG. Under Equipment/Map there is a tick box 'Traffic'. When you tick that box you see squares with a line and flight number moving. I assume those indicate flights. My question is are they FG simulator generated random flights or do they have any relation to actual/real flights? I am using FG 2018.1.1. A clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
ruhuna

Re: Traffic in Equipment/Map Display

Postby Isaak » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:46 am

The map both shows AI traffic (if you have that enabled) and multiplayer traffic (if you're flying online).
Isaak

Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:00 pm

in addition to Isaak's reply, the AI craft you see may or may not be accurate as far as the airline and flight... that depends on how accurate the AI schedules are... there's a team that spends a lot of time updating the AI flight schedules to be as close to reality as possible... however, the AI engine, aka traffic manager, assumes that all craft take off on time once they are commanded to move... with this in mind, the actual flight may be late by some time... another factor is the speed at which the craft fly... some may fly slower/faster than they would in real life... in any case, their movements are fairly decent for the purpose of the simulation ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ruhuna » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:06 am

Thanks a lot Isaak and Wkitty42 for the explanation. That explains the difference in actual flights and what I see in FG..Cheers
ruhuna

Return to Flying