Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Using PHI's Mass and Balance page

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Using PHI's Mass and Balance page

Postby milliman63 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:25 am

Hi, guys. I've been messing around with flightgear for quite a while, though mostly just flying the basic Cessna 172. Recently I've been flying the Boeing 747-400 (or attempting to :lol: ). One of the problems I've been having is the plane becoming unstable after some time in flight. It seems that I've narrowed the problem down to fuel loading. I am sure that the issue is an operator issue not a problem with flightgear or the airplane model...I just don't fully know what I'm doing resulting in an unstable flight profile. I also suspect that if I understood the Mass&Balance page, specifically the envelope graph, I would be able to solve my problems. Is there anyone out there that can give me a quick primer in interpreting this graph?
milliman63

Re: Using PHI's Mass and Balance page

Postby Octal450 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:27 am

The 747-400 has some bizarre balance and FDM issues. Last I heard legoboyvdlp and Gijs were working on it, but its been a while since I heard anything so who knows.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Waste of time. Goodbye forever.
Octal450

Postby Gijs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:36 am

Hi there,

Nice to see you're flying the 744! There were indeed some serious issues with the loading of the aircraft, as well as some pitch problems in the FDM (it's a complex beast). We seem to have fixed most of them in the mean time, so please give the latest version from FGaddon a try and see if that fixes your problem.

Note that the envelope in Phi is very generic and not at all suited for a large aircraft like the 747. One of my current projects is to create a proper envelope in the in-sim Fuel and payload dialog, that should definitely help. I expect to finish it within a week from now.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby milliman63 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks guys. At least I know now that the problem wasn't me. Got other problems now, though. Tried to update FlightGear, and lost the whole system. It's really frustrating, I'm running ArchLinux, at least for now, and the repositories don't have consistent files between flightgear, simgear and the fgdata. I have been unsuccessful at getting it back up from sources from flightgear.org -- either won't compile, or once compiled, crashes on startup. But, I'll get it up and running again if it is the last thing I do! :))
milliman63

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:19 am

if you are using the PPA, use only one of them... do not use two or three of them... generally speaking, use either the regular one or the daily one but if you use the daily one, expect breakage...

regular: FlightGear Flight Simulator
daily: FlightGear Flight Simulator Daily
prerelease: FlightGear Flight Simulator Prerelease
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 pm

wkitty42 :
prerelease FG ppa contains FG version 3.6.0 :wink:

milliman63 :
You can use download and compile script with small modification, for more info check viewtopic.php?p=352578#p352578
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:01 pm

V12 wrote in Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 pm:wkitty42 :
prerelease FG ppa contains FG version 3.6.0 :wink:

probably because that repo hasn't been updated since some time... i was just pointing out that there are three available and that one should choose only one of them to pull and update from...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying