Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Missing Seaports

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Missing Seaports

Postby Kafovofa » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:45 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:25 pm:Notice we can't do modifications to global apt.dat -- ie this can only be as a custom scenery or local modification. For this to be done as standard for every new download of FlightGear you would want to request the addition of the airport's to the X-Plane gateway and that will mean once world scenery is finally regenerated then this will be included.

Ah, so it's not as easy as just submitting changes on github to the apt.dat. I'm guessing taxidraw might make this easier? I think I got it halfway working so maybe I should take a step back and look at that to make sure I'm not doing twice the work I need to.
-Kafovofa
Kafovofa

Callsign: D-MVXB
Version: Stable

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:01 pm

No - for a start GitHub would be the wrong place since FlightGear doesn't use GitHub.

You would need to use the newer tool - World Editor (WED) - but I think you need to request they add the ICAO first at the gateway:
https://gateway.x-plane.com
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Kafovofa » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:28 am

Excellent, I'll do that.
-Kafovofa
Kafovofa

Callsign: D-MVXB
Version: Stable

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:04 am

while it is not really proper to be editing the default apt.dat.gz, one can easily add fixes or new items by utilizing the your-custom-scenery/NavData/apt directory to contain the needed data in properly formed dat files... you can place one dat file with all additions/fixes or one can use individual dat files for each airport... there is a similar nav directory for navigational data like ILS...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:50 pm

That is correct but I think you missed my point, that will only be able to be used as a custom scenery while if you add it to the Gateway then it can be added to apt.dat.gz in the future AND use the custom scenery method in the present ;)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:12 am

exactly... i was just commenting about not editing the default apt.dat that comes with FG ;) when the scenery is rebuilt and ready for public consumption, then the override file and custom scenery can be removed...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Flying