Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Extra 500

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Extra 500

Postby tfreriks » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:39 pm

The Extra 500 looks like a very cool plane, but I can't seem to get it to behave. Is there a tutorial or something?
Last edited by Johan G on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed spelling in topic name, to make it easier to find in the future.
tfreriks

Re: Exrta 500

Postby Alant » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:44 pm

This aircaft is one of the best documented in Flighgear.
See http://wiki.flightgear.org/Extra_EA-500

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby tfreriks » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 pm

I can't get the engine to start. I do 'autostart' and I run through the checklists. No battery. No power. Nada.
tfreriks

Postby dilbert » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:03 pm

You are right. Had a heck of a time, though finally got around the problem.
Initially starter wound up, but got message "N1 is above 15% no light will take place; after which starter wound back down.
Thereafter: dead; dead.

Tried all manner of things: uninstalled; reinstalled; flew different plane and came back. All to no avail.

Here's how finally got it to start and fly:

Uninstalled it.
Deleted C>Users>{user name}>AppData>roaming>flightgear.org>aircraft -data>org.flightgear.fgaddon.stable_2018.extra..
(apparently this leftover file prevented restart)
Reinstalled.
clicked Fly

Unfortunately, had to repeat above procedure for every flight. :(
Made sure throttle was closed.
Clicked autostart.
Waited until engine spooled up before adjusting throttle.
Thereafter everything worked fine. :D
Kind Regards
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby tfreriks » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 pm

That's helpful. I'll try it. Thanks.
tfreriks

Postby tfreriks » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:52 pm

I tried your strategy. It worked. That's a complex and demanding aircraft for sure, but I like technical challenges. But I love the instrumentation. Thanks again. If I figure out a way to change the XML so you don't have to delete each time, I'll let you know. By the way, that file is generated during start up, so you don't have to un- then re-install each time.
tfreriks

Re: Extra 500

Postby dilbert » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Glad you got it working. I uninstall, delete, and reinstall to set everything to original defaults. When just
deleting the file have not gotten a complete autostart without additional intervention (pressing "s" immediately
after clicking autostart causes ignition, but also returns message "congratulations ($ 300,000) overheated
engine", and also results in oil pressure and over torque warnings with increased throttle. Not pressing "s"
results in the " n1 is above 15% no light off" message and eventual starter wind down.
Hopefully, its maintainer(s), who are a lot smarter than I, will have it fixed in the near future.
Kind Regards
dilbert

Postby D-EKEW » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 am

I'll try to shed some light into this issue, I hope I understand the problem correctly...

* If you use 'autostart' everything is taken care off. So don't press 's' or anything else until the engine has run up completely. You are ready to fly when finished.
* In the normal start sequence you must press 's' (move the condition lever forward) with N1 between 12 and 15%. Too early, you get a hot start. To late the engine will not light off. But again, don't touch it if you use autostart!
* In the latter case proceed as follows:
1. Press 's' again, check the condition lever (the one with the red knob) is pulled fully back. This will cut the fuel.
2. Use the 'motoring switch' and set it from NORMAL to ABORT. This will stop the electric engine starter. If you don't do this it will continue turning and drain the battery very fast. Once you are in that situation, nothing will work obviously.
3. Now it is best to attach external power (CRTL-E) and switch it on with the EXT PWR switch in the side console. This will make sure you don't drain the battery.
4. The motoring switch now must be set back to NORMAL else you won't be able to start the engine.
5. Now you are ready to try and start again.

* If you get yourself in the 'battery fully drained / nothing works' situation do the following:
1. Switch the battery ON
2. Attach External Power (CTRL-E) and switch ON. This will charge the battery. On the external power panel you should see 125A. This will take some time. Best you start the engine and fly a bit (make sure the Generator is ON, this will charge the battery as well of course)
3. Some Circuit Breakers might have popped. Change view to the CB panel (5x Shift-v) and make sure all are in. The only exception is the BUS TIE CB, which must stay out.

Hope this helps!
Safe flying, Eric
D-EKEW

Callsign: D-EKEW, ELLX-TWR
Version: git

Postby dilbert » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:04 am

Hi D-EKEW. Thanks for the reply. Yes, autostart should not require any additional intervention. But that's not what I, and apparently tfericks, encountered: the autostart sequence failed to go to completion, instead giving the " n1 is above 15%..." message. After the starter wound down, everything went dead. At that point, in my case, I couldn't even do a manual start-the battery switch was frozen in the off position. Tried CTRL-E, but still failed to get either an auto or a manual start (probably didn't wait long enough to recharge). That's why I went through the monkey motion to get back to square one by uninstalling, deleting the file in roaming, and reinstalling. None of this would have been necessary had autostart gone to completion in the first place. As far as using "s" during autostart is concerned, it was a cheater to get around the n1 problem and subsequent autostart failure, but created other issues. Appreciate the very helpful explanation of a proper starting sequence. Thanks again and best regards. :)

P.S. For me it appears the problem was inadequate hardware-I was using my old Celeron laptop (4 GIG). Just now installed and ran on my I3/Nvidia, 8 GIG. Autostart completed and everything worked perfectly. The older machine
just wasn't up to the task. :(
dilbert

Postby D-EKEW » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:43 am

Okay,
I cannot reproduce that here. Autostart works flawlessly.
However I can remember vaguely there was a problem some versions ago. Maybe an update to current FGFS will do the trick(?).

Cheers,

Eric
D-EKEW

Callsign: D-EKEW, ELLX-TWR
Version: git

Postby dilbert » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:52 am

Was running 2018.3.2 on both machines, so speculate marginal ram was problem on Celeron laptop. Anyway, works perfectly on the I3. Thanks again for the help and Kind Regards..
dilbert

Postby tfreriks » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:20 pm

Try this: rename that ***extra500.xml file to ***extra500_temp.xml. The new extra500.xml file that is generated by loading will allow everything to work properly. I hope.
tfreriks

Postby dilbert » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks. I'll probably stick to running on my I3, where it works fine. Will try it on my AMD 8, on board, 6 GIG laptop, when I have time.
Real nice model. Cheers

P.S. Installed, auto started, and flew fine on my AMD4 R9 4GIG desktop, so appears Ram wasn't the problem.
Perhaps the 500 doesn't like the single core processor on the Celeron. My AMD 8 6 GIG Laptop currently has 2017.1.1 FG version installed, so doesn't compare with other machines, that are running 2018.3.2. On it, an earlier version of the 500 appeared to install. When autostart was clicked, prop didn't rotate, but red fuel control knob flipped forward after a slight delay. Assume problem was with the earlier version of FG.
dilbert

Return to Flying