Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Auto refueling

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Auto refueling

Postby Robertfm » Thu May 23, 2019 8:37 pm

I read somewhere (can't find it now) that there is a setting that can ensure your planes never run out of fuel. I know about the feature in Equipment but it's not there. Does anyone know if there is a short code that can be put in settings in front page to facilitate this.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Re: Auto refueling

Postby enrogue » Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 pm

The command line option is --enable-fuel-freeze

You can add it to the Additional Settings section in the Settings tab of the Launcher
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby Robertfm » Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Brilliant, thank you. Whilst your here any idea why I randomly at night get what looks like thousands of LED lights flashing across scenery and cluster where there are properties.

Robertfm

Postby enrogue » Thu May 23, 2019 11:02 pm

Looks like possibly a GLSL shader effects error - there might be something in the logs

whats the graphics card & driver?
enrogue

Postby Robertfm » Thu May 23, 2019 11:13 pm

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5 Drivers were installed when it was built (custom gaming machine) Nvidia 17/4/2019 26.21.14.30.39
Last edited by Robertfm on Thu May 23, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robertfm

Postby enrogue » Thu May 23, 2019 11:24 pm

Well there might be an error in fgfs.log

I'll be honest I've never been able to get mine to output the GLSL errors to the log even with --log-level=debug in the additional settings, but that may be something to do with my setup

There are meant to be lights visible at night - they look quite good
enrogue

Postby Robertfm » Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 pm

The clusters actually disappear to reveal the buildings as a I get closer to them. The scattered led affect is right across open land.

Thanks anyway.
Robertfm

Postby enrogue » Thu May 23, 2019 11:38 pm

what are your rendering & shader settings?

I often have odd issues with certain graphics cards when some shaders are combined - if you have everything all the way up it may help to take one down a notch one at a time & check if the effect goes away

The Nvidia driver Cg compiler (which compiles the GLSL to something the card can run) has some odd behaviour at times
enrogue

Postby Robertfm » Thu May 23, 2019 11:49 pm

I'll do some checking. I found another thread with mentions issues with water shaders and Model shaders creating lighting anomalies. I had altered them yesterday.

Thanks and goodnight
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 24, 2019 7:12 am

Brilliant, thank you. Whilst your here any idea why I randomly at night get what looks like thousands of LED lights flashing across scenery and cluster where there are properties.

The buildings look like a fogging error of sorts, but the lights in the scenery are... just lights in the scenery. You know - like car headlights, streetlights, lightbulbs in a garden,...

Edit: And... some craft can be rendered unflyable of the fuel level never changes. Airliners and fighter jets might have trouble landing with a full fuel load, the Concorde is impossible to trim properly if tanks never empty, rockets can't reach orbit without the weight reduction. So use that kind of setting at your own risk.
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Fri May 24, 2019 9:33 am

The second screenshot is across open land where there are no roads buildings etc. Obviously I accept the risk re fuel but at the moment I just fly small aircraft. I can always delete the code if issues occur.

What is a 'fogging error'.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 24, 2019 10:37 am

The second screenshot is across open land where there are no roads buildings etc.

Ah, well, the texture shows several farm roads and outside of OSM2City, FG does not try to depict every single building there is in reality, so what exactly do you mean by 'there are no roads, buildings'? In reality, or which you see on screen? Do you expect that there needs to be a 3d object creating a light whenever you see one?

Obviously I accept the risk re fuel but at the moment I just fly small aircraft. I can always delete the code if issues occur.

It's obvious that you can do that easily - the harder problem is to spot when you should. The usual chain of events is

1) hey, great option, I never need to worry about fuel in FG
2) changes into a heavier jet and crashes a few landings
3) writes angry forum post 'this jet is impossible to land'
4) nobody can reproduce the problems
5) general annoyance

(I'm not sure why you feel you need it for small aircraft - single prop planes go quite a while with a normal fuel load...)

What is a 'fogging error'.

An (rgba) value mixed with the base surface color that's inconsistent with the rest of the scene. Feel much wiser now?
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am

You arrogant prick. Please do not respond to any more of my genuine requests for help, having read numerous other threads where you take the same superior attitude it's a wonder anyone ever asks for help.

Superior knowledge on a subject doesn't mean superior intellect.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Mind your manners please.

First, I'm vaguely guessing you haven't been through a handful of frustrating debugging sessions which ultimately discovered that some weird non-default option was checked. I on the other hand have spent a couple of hours of my life trying to wrap my head around such weirdness, and I'm generally trying to pre-empt them - if this annoys you for a few minutes but saves us a few hours of work later, that's a reasonable tradeoff in my book.

Second. when you report an issue, it is completely obvious to you what you expect to see and what it is you see instead, but that doesn't mean it's obvious to anyone else. So when I ask 'what exactly do you mean by...', it's an equally genuine question for your expectations.

Third, when you ask a question like what a 'fogging error' is, I assume you don't want a circular definition like 'an error in the way fogging is done' - so far so good - but it's far from clear what kind of answer you want. So I can offer you the technical one, but I kind of guessed that's not what you want to know.

So please stop acting like you're the only one asking genuine questions here and I am just out to mock you - there's thousands of my coding hours in this simulation you seem to enjoy, if nothing else that might convince any reasonable person that I mean serious business in this forum.
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Fri May 24, 2019 12:42 pm

I have read your engagement with others who appear as knowledgeable as you but you put them down in a similar manner. Yes you are correct I don't want answers in technical language, as my son, who is a computer programming expert says, it's no good him trying to explain things to very senior Navy Officers in technical language if they don't understand, so he adopts a non technical approach that they will.

That is all I seek but you either mock or are condescending. I respect the fact you have dedicated a lot of your time to FG, but don't expect everyone else to be as committed and understand it's intricacies.

As I said in another post, I don't need to know what's under the hood to drive a car. I rely on my garage technicians for that.
Robertfm

Next

Return to Flying