Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Flight Recorder max save capacity  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Flight Recorder max save capacity  

Postby ORZMUD » Mon May 06, 2019 5:26 am

Linux / 20190201 Src build in the morning.

I made a flight of about 1hr 55min at the end I saved the Flight Recording tape, then upon resetting and loading the tape I noticed it only properly replays starting in the minute 55:27 sec.
I can click the "<<" button and the timer goes back in before the min 55\, but there is no screen movement/replay, only until it reaches the min 55:27 sec market the screen starts replaying.

How do I increase the record/replay capacity of the tape?

Regards,
ORZMUD

Callsign: ORZMUD
Version: 2019.2.0

Re: Flight Recorder max save capacity

Postby Isaak » Mon May 06, 2019 5:49 am

You can modify the defaults.xml file (in fgdata) to record a larger time frame. Just ctrl + F for replay and it should point itself out. Be aware that this requires exta resources, so don't overdo it.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby ORZMUD » Mon May 06, 2019 5:56 am

Thanks @Isaak for pointing to the defaults.xml file.

Can you provide more insight into what extra resources will be used when increasing the flight record time, or how can I relate the time to record to resources fgfs will use vs what is available?

Regards,
ORZMUD

Callsign: ORZMUD
Version: 2019.2.0

Postby Isaak » Mon May 06, 2019 9:05 am

I think (out of my mind) that the tape is temporary stored in the RAM, but I 'm not sure about that and am not behind my FG pc atm, so if anyone knows for sure, please correct me ;) The wiki suggests that it uses RAM indeed, but there was an idea to write to disk instead, I don't know if that has been carried out.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:02 am

if i might add, once you find the property for the flight recorder length, set it in your startup config and leave the defaults.xml file alone... you should be able to set the property and override what defaults.xml would set... if i'm reading the xml file properly, i think that property would be "/sim/replay/duration" and it would be set like this...
Code: Select all
--prop:double:/sim/replay/duration=90

NOTE: i'm using "double" above because that's what the defaults.xml file has specified the replay duration value to be... "double" may not be the proper thing to use in a "--prop" setting line...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying