Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Disabling Flight Director  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Disabling Flight Director

Postby tfreriks » Mon May 06, 2019 2:42 pm

After hours and hours of experimentation, I've figured out the AP and FD problems I was having. I can now fly long flights without concern that I'll die on approach. (DH to zero was good, btw). The key is to wait until you're 3000' AGL before clicking on the AP. And be on course! Then make sure you don't engage GS until you're actually AT the point which shows the intercept on the approach plates. Then if the FD clicks on, it won't matter. Thanks, everybody.
tfreriks

Postby Johan G » Tue May 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Feel free to mark the topic solved by clicking the green check mark on your last post. ;)

By the way, is that procedure documented somewhere?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby tfreriks » Thu May 09, 2019 3:54 pm

I figured out the quirks. When I'm manually on course and climbing, I simply unclick the FD box. The AP kicks in at that point. Also, setting the Radio Altitude to zero helps. The FD still turns on before touchdown, but I'm hand-flying by then. Thanks. Oh, one other thing: clicking on the "Low Bank" button between the seats eliminates the sharp banking that causes all sorts of waggling back and forth on approach.
tfreriks

Previous

Return to Flying