Board index FlightGear Support Flying

How to modify the map keybindings?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

How to modify the map keybindings?

Postby GatoLoco » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I fly using the keyboard and mouse (I have no joystick...bow my head in shame), and use the left and right arrow keys to move the rudder. The problem is that when the map is displayed, the map widget "takes control" of these keys to move the map, so I would like to change these bindings so I will be able to keep the left and right arrow keys for the rudder. I assume that there is a way to change the keybindings of the map widget, correct? Going through the keyboard.xml file I could not find how to do it. Are these keybindings stored in some other file?

Thanks!
GatoLoco

Re: How to modify the map keybindings?

Postby Clive2670 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 pm

I haven't tried to re-map the keyboard with it, but you could try the antimicro program available here: https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro It works very well for a joystick to add keys from the keyboard to the joystick without all the hassle of coding the joystick, So you might be able to re-code and re-order the keyboard layout with it, Hope this helps?
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:21 pm

i always fly with the map open... i assume you are speaking of the CTRL-M map? i have seen something similar to what you describe but not in a long while...

what version of FG are you using? full version, please... no shorthand ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby GatoLoco » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Yes, the Ctrl-M map. I am using FlightGear-2018.2.2-2.fc29.x86_64, on Fedora. This version is the latest available in the repository.
GatoLoco

Postby sim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:37 pm

If you'd like to post the keyboard.xml you are using.(within code markers or it'll be too big)
Than I may be able to re-designate the left/right arrow keys to rudder for you. :wink:
Caution Using the keyboard arrows for rudder is very crude, I cannot take the blame if you crash! :roll:

As for the annoying Map thing we'll put that somewhere else. Speedy just can't be bothered with maps, he does it the old fashioned way just follow the roads! :wink:
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Return to Flying