Board index FlightGear Support Flying

How good is the implementation of the Cessna 182s in FG?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

How good is the implementation of the Cessna 182s in FG?

Postby lalegion » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:06 am

Hello fellow Pilots!

I have a question for those of you who know better. I've been flying around with the official Cessna 172p which I love. Even though I haven't flown it in real life, for what I read and understand the physics and dynamics of the plane are correct. And I must say, it feels real.
Recently I installed from the hangar, the 182s and I noticed some differences which led me to questions that I was unable to answer. For example, the left-pushing tendency is not there, or at least, is almost unnoticeable and that translate into a better control at taking off or landing. Once on the air it is also much easier to control than the 172p.
Now, I know that for some people the left turning of the 172p was a little bit exaggerated so I wonder why would the 182s be easier to fly. Is it because the developer of the model just took it away or lower its influence or is it because the real plane itself was better designed and had no left-pushing?
One last point to consider is that most pilots agree that the 182s is actually harder to fly than the 172p (according to google).
I'm asking because I wouldn't like to fly a plane model that's easier because it has been biased.

Any thoughts?
Cap.HalconFalcon.
"One can not make an omelette without breaking some eggs" ...Cap. HalconFalcon.
lalegion

Callsign: FLKN-01
Version: 2018.3.1

Re: How good is the implementation of the Cessna 182s in FG?

Postby stuart » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Cap.HalconFalcon.

I'm one of those who thinks the left-pushing tendency (P-factor and gyroscopic precession) is exaggerated at low alpha, but that's based on very few hours flying a 172, so I'm not an expert. It's certainly higher than all the light aircraft that I have flown.

I don't think the 182 FDM (which simulates things like P-factor) has had as much development as the 172, so I expect that it is not as accurate, irrespective of the P-factor on the 172. That will contribute to the 182 being easier to fly.

Personally, I really like the 182. There is now a 182T model (search the forum), which includes the FG1000 glass panel display, which I'm developing.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Re: How good is the implementation of the Cessna 182s in FG?

Postby lalegion » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Hej Stuart!

I had the same feeling about the 182S not been developed enough yet. I will definitely take a look at the 182T.

Thanks.
Cap.HalconFalcon.
"One can not make an omelette without breaking some eggs" ...Cap. HalconFalcon.
lalegion

Callsign: FLKN-01
Version: 2018.3.1

Return to Flying