Board index FlightGear Support Flying

F-15c crashes FlightGear when changing views

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

F-15c crashes FlightGear when changing views

Postby cptRon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:38 am

Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum for this.

I downloaded the F15 from the FlightGear QtLauncher.

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing similar problems with the f15c/d. Upon view change or even if the camera is rotated enough in cockpit view to see the wings, FlightGear will crash. I'm using linux, and I believe the current version of FlightGear I'm using is 2018.1.1. I have no problems with any other aircraft. Everything else works fine. Which leads me to believe it's not a version issue, but I could be wrong.

I believe it has something to do with the model, because if I edit the f15c.xml in the Models directory so that the model is not loaded, the view will change as expected. I've been looking through the .xml files and even the .ac file but I can't find any solution that works.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, with this or any other aircraft.
cptRon

Re: F-15c crashes FlightGear when changing views

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:06 am

Does the log/console provide any meaningful error message?
Thorsten

Postby Alex H » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:07 am

Ubuntu 18.0.4
Flightgear 2018.1.1
F15C

The first couple of tries it would not load at all, but 3rd time lucky!

All worked OK - can see all the way round

F15D the same
Regards

Alex
Alex H

Version: 2018.1.1

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:28 am

cptRon wrote in Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:38 am:... I'm using linux, and I believe the current version of FlightGear I'm using is 2018.1.1. I have no problems with any other aircraft.

I'm fairly sure that I tested the F-15 on 2018.1.1 (Windows) and it was fine; however what I'd really need to investigate further is to see the last 20 lines on the console prior to the crash (start with --console), and ideally a stack trace.

My first suspicion of cause would be the graphics card drivers; the F-15 makes use of the advanced ALS cockpit rendering and only a few craft use this - so it could be putting more load on the driver; however this is just a guess as there isn't enough info in the original post (see the red box at the top here viewforum.php?f=17).
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 am

I don't think I've ever seen a non-working shader crash FG - doesn't rule it out of course, but usually the rendering is just off.

But stranger things have happened... I suppose this could be tested by not using ALS at all.
Thorsten

Return to Flying