Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Fixed Aermacchi-MB-339 hsi

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Fixed Aermacchi-MB-339 hsi

Postby dilbert » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi fellow Aermacchi-MB-339 fans.

The compass card in the Fgaddon version doesn't turn.

Fixed mine as follows.

With Aermacchi-MB-339 installed from addon hangar, I copied it from Documents>FlightGear>Aircraft>org.flightgear.fgaddon>Aircraft to my personal hangar; after which I did an uninstall from the regular hangar.

I modified the copied version in Documents >my hangar> as follows:

In Aermacchi-mb-339\Models\Interior\Panel\Instruments\hsi\hsi.xml I modified line 171 from <property>instrumentation/heading-indicator/indicated-heading-deg</property>

To <property>orientation/heading-degree</property>

Compass card now rotates and indicates correct magnetic heading beneath rhumb line; and all other functions-orange VOR pointer and white Tacan pointer- work correctly, as before.

Halleluja. :D :D

Best Regards
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Re: Fixed Aermacchi-MB-339 hsi

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:10 pm

It's good that you fixed it, but to be honest it's probably better to fix the system behind the heading compass, as the generic instruments / systems tend to be more accurate :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby dilbert » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks. Hsi heading now reads same as the HUD, which is good enough for my needs. First posted "Aermacchi RMI frozen", dated September 13, 2016 . Am just glad to finally have compass card working . Best Regards :)
dilbert

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:38 pm

I have now a little bit played around with the HSI, cleaned up the HSI-model, corrected the animations, the two buttons are usable and it works now with the nav[0].

@legoboyvdlp: do you know who is maintaining this aircraft?
I dont want disturb the maintainer with my commit.

@dilbert: do you also use tacan? Because i'm not familiar with tacan, so the HSI works actualy only with nav[0].
It is possible to extend the HSI to use also nav[1] and tacan, but this is a little bit more work.
Second, i dont know this aircraft. I havo no pictures or descriptions. So i dont know if the aircraft has a second nav radio.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Sorry, I have no idea about that.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby dilbert » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Yes I do frequently, as there is a table on line for converting Vortac frequencies to Tacan frequencies. I have a downloaded
copy on my desktop, easily accessible by toggling view. KBFM Vortac has a frequency of 112.8, which converts to 75X. The
white pointer registers heading to station and can be used in like manner to an ADF. So in addition to VOR and ILS on Nav 1,
where my VOR tunes, Vortacs can be tuned on the Tacan, which comes in handy. All nav radio features currently operate on my hsi, including the orange glideslope bug for the ILS. The Vortacs have TACAN with DME and greater ranges than VORs. Hsi needs to tune on NAV1 radio in Windows-don't know about Debian. If it's NAV (0) just be sure same NAV is cited in the autopilot.

Best Regards :D

P.S. Recently test ran KBFM KPQL@3000 KBIX@4000 KGPT (selecting runway 14, which auto adds pattern way points) in the soup; hands off, except for adjusting speed using throttle, commencing with takeoff run; and save for changing Pitch/Altitude and Heading to NAV 1 for ILS (IGPT@110.9) upon hearing GP Bayou NDB tone; thereafter disengaging Pitch/Altitude at threshold for flare. Monitered final on HSI. All operated well.
The generic autopilot was apparently designed for slower planes. I hold 100 K on the ILS; if much faster, it won't give me a good line-up, as the Flight Director will constantly overshoot.
dilbert

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:50 pm

I changed FG a while back (2018-09-02, i.e. starting from 2018.3) so you can set /instrumentation/tacan/frequencies/selected-mhz to the frequency and it'll lookup the channel providing the frequency is a valid and known TACAN channel. You can also set the TACAN frequency (i.e. for a VORTAC) from the Radio Frequencies dialog

Note that FG simulates TACAN correctly using a separate database for the channel/frequencies so you do have to use a valid frequency (VORTAC). Other sims shortcut this and allow VOR to be used as TACAN which is incorrect as VOR and TACAN use different frequencies and methods. However DME is compatible between the civilian and military.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Octal450 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:22 pm

BTW, it needs to be orientation/heading-deg not heading-degree.

Note that this is true heading, not magnetic. For that, orientation/heading-magnetic-deg

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby dilbert » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks Josh, changed my hsi property to <property>orientation/heading-magnetic-deg</property)

magnetic compass appears to agree with runway; HUD reads about 2 degrees less, which seems to agree with local variation of 2.23 West. So HUD appears to display True Heading.
dilbert

Postby Michat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:35 am

@WoodSTokk

MB 339 PAN was born in Udine university. http://hcilab.uniud.it/pan/downloads.html

We tried to get in contact with the maintainer with no response, as we got an improved update without toxic smoke at here: http://hangarkamus.blogspot.com/p/aerei-elicotteri.html

It was FG2.6.

29.92 and good final 2018.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Octal450 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:00 am

Hi dilbert:
The HUD uses "generic" properties, not property instrumentation, that is why.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:53 pm

dilbert wrote in Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:31 pm:magnetic compass appears to agree with runway; HUD reads about 2 degrees less, which seems to agree with local variation of 2.23 West. So HUD appears to display True Heading.

yes, the green/red HUD that FG overlays on the screen is in true degrees, not magnetic...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Michat wrote in Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:35 am:@WoodSTokk

MB 339 PAN was born in Udine university. http://hcilab.uniud.it/pan/downloads.html

We tried to get in contact with the maintainer with no response, as we got an improved update without toxic smoke at here: http://hangarkamus.blogspot.com/p/aerei-elicotteri.html

It was FG2.6.

FG 2.6 is realy old. I have a look at the MB 339 PAN and the HSI routate only the compass rose. No pointer is working. The DME show a distance, but i dont no to what station.
It doesn't matter what i set in the radio dialog (VOR or TACAN), the HSI doesn't react.

Sorry, but if i send in updates, then only to FGaddon. I have more and other projects where i'm working.
I want only help to fix and improve a little bug. I dont want take over the maintainance of a aircraft.
I see on sourceforge that the last updates came from helijah back in 2017.
If i have time, i will change the HSI so that it works with VOR and TACAN and update the aircraft on FGaddon.

Happy new year 2019 !!!
WoodSTokk

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:45 pm

dilbert wrote in Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:57 pm:Yes I do frequently, as there is a table on line for converting Vortac frequencies to Tacan frequencies. I have a downloaded
copy on my desktop, easily accessible by toggling view. KBFM Vortac has a frequency of 112.8, which converts to 75X. The
white pointer registers heading to station and can be used in like manner to an ADF. So in addition to VOR and ILS on Nav 1,
where my VOR tunes, Vortacs can be tuned on the Tacan, which comes in handy. All nav radio features currently operate on my hsi, including the orange glideslope bug for the ILS. The Vortacs have TACAN with DME and greater ranges than VORs. Hsi needs to tune on NAV1 radio in Windows-don't know about Debian. If it's NAV (0) just be sure same NAV is cited in the autopilot.

As i mentioned in my previous post, i will make the buttons workable so that you can switch between VOR and TACAN.
On my updated version also all pointers working correctly. Only the frequencies must be set in the radio dialog, because the models of the nav and tacan radio are to limited and i have no information how they looks like and work in reality. The radial can be set with the curse knob.

Happy new year 2019 !!!
WoodSTokk

Postby WoodSTokk » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:41 am

@dilbert
Changes pushed to FGaddon!
* compassrose are now working and show magnetic heading
* activated HSI control to switch between VOR and TACAN
* heading needle on HSI points allways to the radial of nav[0] (VOR)
* curse deflection needle on HSI shows allways the deflection of the radial to nav[0] (VOR)
* bearing needle points to the chosen station on HSI control (TACAN or VOR)
* DME shows the distance to the chosen station on HSI control (TACAN or VOR)
* GS indicator works only if nav[0] has a ILS with GS

Happy new year and happy flying !!!
WoodSTokk

Next

Return to Flying