Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Pop up messages in scenarios

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Pop up messages in scenarios

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:30 pm

I see no reason why running multiple scripted AI objects should have such an impact, even on a 10-year old computer - if anything, the complexity of the 3D models/textures will have an impact, but not the control logic updating those scripted AI objects at 1-2 hz

As a matter of fact, you can try this for yourself by running the tanker - which is using the same mechanism (AI objects controlled from scripting space). I doubt that you will see memory utilization/frame rate grow significantly. I believe ThomasS created an add-on called "ground services" that is using the same approach to control a handful of vehicles, while those are obviously not moving at 300 kts, this could still be used as a stress-test to see if your system can handle scripted AI objects - but again, I see no reason why this should have much of an impact at all, even on a 10-year old computer.

Tutorials are commonly added to aircraft, i.e. since you will have to load an aircraft anyway, you can simply pick your favorite aircraft (even the ufo or ogel) and add your tutorial to it.

For an example, refer to the c172p which has many tutorials already.

But you can also use a custom PropertyList XML file and load the tutorial stufff via --config.
If you are just starting out, I would suggest to take an existing tutorial (a really simple one) and copy the whole file load that separately. You can then unnecessary remove stuff, so that you end up with a really simple boilerplate piece of XML code.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/PropertyList_XML_File
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Tutorials#Using_tutorials

To learn more about using --config=mytutorial.xml, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Command_line_options
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby RobAndrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Okay, so I'm getting somewhere!

I looked in to the C172p tutorial files and copied a few over to another aircraft and it worked!
I've also figured out how to load a model in to the tutorial. However I have a question about the <set> tags: Can I use this tag inside the <step> tag to determine how fast a preset model is going on a trajectory? Of course I can set the heading in the <model> tag, but I'd like to start the model moving when the step starts. This would of course somehow need to refer to said model outside the <step> tags.
If not this, can I use the tag to start a scenario file? in which a model is given an altitude/speed/heading.

Thanks
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:33 pm

RobAndrew wrote in Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 pm:I have a question about the <set> tags: Can I use this tag inside the <step> tag to determine how fast a preset model is going on a trajectory?

Quoting the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Tutorials#Set

Set

<set> groups can be used in <init>, <step>, and <end>. They set a <property> to a given <value> or to the value that a second <property> points to. They can also reset values that were only temporarily changed for the duration of the tutorial.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby RobAndrew » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Yeeaaah, I did read that. I am still in the process of looking in to it tbf. I think the mistake I've been making has been not adding the "value" tag. Not sure what value you'd give to a Scenario property, being sim/ai/scenario[1]....."true" I guess?

EDIT: SOLVED IT! Thank you so much for the support, I think I've got out of it from here on out. If I have any other issues, I'll start a new thread under "Making Tutorial"

To everyone again, thank you all very much. I'm really looking forward to making this. Hopefully you'll get a go at it to someday!
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Previous

Return to Flying