Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Pushback?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Pushback?

Postby HFC3 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:24 pm

This may be wrong category, but when I start FG from anything other than a runway, aircraft is in a parking area. How do you start from a terminal? Some of the video's I've seen show this, but I can't tell if the sim is FG or something else. I also saw someone do a preflight outside aircraft?

I'm notoriously bad on internet searches, but I can't find anything in YouTube showing and posts in this forum are more about specific issues while .. rather than how to do it.

Thank in advance.
HFC3

Re: Pushback?

Postby Isaak » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Most aircraft have a pushback feature in their specific aircraft menu or in the equipment menu. You would use that feature (setting a negative speed to be pushed back and release the parking brakes) to get pushed back. Once your engines are running you can then taxi to the active runway. A recent feature is autopush (search the forums for it), where you can even enter a custom pushback route that is afterwards automatically executed.

Regarding the preflight exterior checklist. I know it's implemented in the c172p (default aircraft), but I 'm sure it' s been implemented on other aircraft too. It takes a very good model with highly detailed systems though to make it useful, so I guess only a select number of aircraft are in that level of detail.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Re: Pushback?

Postby tdammers » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am

Starting from a terminal: it depends on the airport, but the larger, well-developed ones all have starting positions at some terminal that you can select, either from the launcher or from the in-sim "Go to airport" menu option. For example, at EDDF, the "A", "B", "C" and "D" startup positions are terminals, whereas the "F" and "V" positions are on open aprons.

When parked at a "nose-in" stand, as is the case with most terminals, you need to use a pushback truck to get out - all the developed airliners have one, and smaller aircraft that don't wouldn't typically park at a nose-in stand IRL, so I suggest starting those on an apron position.

Preflight inspection is something that's only meaningful in a handful of very well-developed aircraft. Off the top of my head, the DHC-6 "Twin Otter" and the Cessna 172p have quite extensive modeling of things like engine covers, tiedowns, chocks, etc., and there's probably half a dozen or so other aircraft that offer some level of detail there, but most focus on the cockpit experience and internal systems.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Return to Flying