Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Flying a fixed wing Aircraft Without Keyboard control

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Flying a fixed wing Aircraft Without Keyboard control

Postby Muhammad Ahmad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

I need to start implementing an algo for that Purpose I first need to fly an aircraft without keyboard control rather need to do it by programming can anybody help me to do this.
Muhammad Ahmad

Re: Flying a fixed wing Aircraft Without Keyboard control

Postby curt » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Perhaps you could describe your goals in a bit greater detail. FlightGear already has basic autopilot modes with lots of aircraft specific examples. If you want to do things like hold an altitude, hold an airspeed, hold a heading, or follow a route, FlightGear already has everything you need for that. If you'd like to automate higher level tasks like taking off while managing and sequencing all the systems of a complex aircraft, Nasal scripts have tremendous power and capability. If you'd like to move your coding to an external app (for example a python script), then FlightGear has ample I/O features that allow you to remotely monitor and control just about any aspect of the sim.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Muhammad Ahmad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:49 pm

yeah I can explain the task, I need to write a nasal script or access the code through which I can control the flying of aircraft to follow a route and flying pattern.ineed to fly aircraft from one location to another while during the flight I don't to control movement through keyboard and in between of flying it needs to do some manoeuvre
Muhammad Ahmad

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:18 pm

There are aircraft (airliners mostly I guess)in the repository which can do that - you program the AP/route manager and the aircraft flies from one location to another.

So what specifically is it you need to implement an algorithm to do that for?
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 pm

See:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Route_Manager
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Route_Manager_internals

Obviously, for the route manager to work correctly, the aircraft must come up with a corresponding autopilot first:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Autopilot
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Autopilot_Co ... _Reference
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Autopilot_Tuning_Resources

Note that supporting VNAV properly is a completely separate issue: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Implementing ... FlightGear

That being said, for most aircraft, and under standard circumstances, the default autopilot/route manager will work reasonably well for starters (that is, once you are airborne), including even the ufo and helicopters.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Octal450 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:24 am

Hooray wrote in Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 pm:Note that supporting VNAV properly is a completely separate issue: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Implementing ... FlightGear.

Let me warn you that this is extremely out of date, and is no longer accurate in many cases. Also, I don't think at ALL at running another FDM is a good idea... performance data is all you need, just like the real planes use. With this data, you can calculating it. :mrgreen:

In fact, I have a partially working VNAV simulation for the Airbus already implemented (but disabled until complete), but I need to finish the rest of the FMGC first before I finish simulating it.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:17 pm

it0uchpods wrote in Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:24 am:Let me warn you that this is extremely out of date, and is no longer accurate in many cases. [...]
In fact, I have a partially working VNAV simulation for the Airbus already implemented

I'd suggest to take a close look at the comments from the JSBSim folks who previously discussed this, some of whom actually have a professional background doing this sort of thing ;-)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Octal450 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:45 pm

I already have, which is why I based my judgement. :mrgreen:

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Hooray » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:34 am

There should be a resources/references section at the bottom of the wiki article linking to several PDF files from something called "the aviation handbook", these documents go into excruciating detail on how VNAV actually works and how it is implemented in the real world (not from the POH standpoint, but from an engineering perspective)

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Implementing ... tGear#VNAV
There are typically two loadable databases that support the core flight management functions. These are the navigation database which must be updated on a monthly cycle and the performance database that only gets updated if there's been a change in the aircraft performance characteristics (i.e., engine variants or structural variants affecting the drag of the aircraft).

The performance database contains aircraft/engine model data consisting of drag, thrust, fuel flow, speed/altitude envelope, thrust limits, and a variety of optimized and tactical speed schedules that are unique to the aircraft.

Typically, the performance database contains data sets for

take-off and configuration speeds
approach and landing speeds

In real aircraft, the purpose of the so called "performance database" is to reduce the need for the pilot to refer to a performance manual during flight and to provide the FMC (flight management computer) with data required to transmit pitch and thrust commands to the FCC (flight control computer. The performance database is also used by the FMC to provide detailed predictions along the entire aircraft trajectory. The data stored in the database includes accurate aircraft drag and engine model data, optimal speed data, maximum altitudes, and maximum and minimum speeds. The FMS onboard the aircraft also performs fuel consumption predictions based on a reference model: the FMS performance database. The PERF FACTOR entered in the M/CDU helps to the FMS predictions. Implementing aircraft performance monitoring aims to determine the monitored fuel factor.

The main FMS aircraft performance predictions deal with:

fuel consumption, time,
climb and descent path,
recommended maximum altitude, and
optimization of speeds and cruise altitude taking into account economic criteria

defined by the airline Cost Index.

The PDB is derived from the IFP aircraft databases. Slight simplifications were taken into account because of the limited size of the FMS memory. For example, only one air conditioning setting is available (LO/ECON as appropriate). Per design, the aircraft performance databases are stored in the FMS Perf Data Base (PDB). There is only a single PDB per family of aircraft.

At the center of the FMS functionality is the flight plan construction and subsequent construction of the four-dimensional aircraft trajectory defined by the specified flight plan legs and constraints and the aircraft performance. Flight plan and trajectory prediction work together to produce the four-dimensional trajectory and consolidate all the relevant trajectory information into a flight plan/profile buffer.
http://www.davi.ws/avionics/TheAvionics ... Cap_15.pdf

If you think, that the wiki article is wrong, that would obviously be great - but in that case, it would be interesting if you could document your own work/approach, so that others can take a look, and maybe learn from it. I'd suggest to add a corresponding section to the wiki article describing the aircraft, and adding an "update" linking to that from the VNAV article.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Octal450 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi,
As I said not everything in there is wrong, but quite a few things are.

I may document it when it is complete if I have the time.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Return to Flying