Board index FlightGear Support Flying

"Fly" button not available in "Start Flightgear" window

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

"Fly" button not available in "Start Flightgear" window

Postby OldGrantonian2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:51 pm

I used Flightgear at beginner level over 10 years ago. I now want to try again, because my grandson showed interest in the MS Sim demo (with the flour bombs).

I opened it a couple of days ago, and tried to get it started. But it seems that I now need to do a lot of real-life things that a pilot would do. I seem to remember that I only needed to nudge the throttle and it rolled off. I closed the program.

Now, after a couple of days, the "Fly" button at lower left of the window is not available - greyed out. Also, I noticed the mention of "Autostart" a couple of days ago, but I can't find it now.

I tried Tools > Restore defaults to reset anything that I might have done 2 days ago, but the "Fly" button is still not available.

I would be grateful for any info on these two issues.

Thanks.
OldGrantonian2

Re: "Fly" button not available in "Start Flightgear" window

Postby wlbragg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi and welcome back. FG has come a long way since you last used it. I started using FlightGear years ago with my nephew on my lap.

Your version of FlightGear and system specs are always helpful to know for better diagnostics.
If your using a recent version with the built in QT-launcher and your "fly now" is grayed out, it is probably because you don't have all the necessary information selected in the GU needed to launch, like the aircraft. A reset would have wiped out your previous selections and thus you need to set up the launcher information and select everything again.
The default aircraft c172p will have an Autostart in the drop down menu once you start the sim.
The current release candidate 2018.3.1 default aircraft will even autostart in the air "on approach" to the chosen airport if you use the Location choices in the QT-launcher.
Next c172p versions should have more state selections you will be able to choose from such as "autostart on a runway".
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby OldGrantonian2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:45 pm

To add some information. I'm using FG V2018.2.2, Win 10 Pro, Asus ROG Strix.

Cessna 172P.

I managed to activate the "Fly" button by choosing an aircraft.

I still can't find the options "Autostart" or "Start with engine running".

To prove that I've clicked every button in the "Start Flightgear" window.

In the "Summary" option in the left pane, there's a "State" option, with values Automatic, On approach, and Cruise.

Also in the left pane, Aircraft, Location, and Environment contain no options.

In "Settings", left pane I see no mention of "Autostart" and "Start with engine running". Same comment for "Addons".

I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to find these options.

Added: OK - as wlbragg clearly said:

"Autostart" is in the "Cessna C172P dropdown in the simulator window.

"Start with engine running" is in Cessna C172P > Aircraft options.

Thanks.
OldGrantonian2

Postby wlbragg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Glad you figured it out.

The version you have doesn't have any aircraft state options in the launcher (like autostart, on approach, etc.).
The next release, the one coming out right now, has an "on approach" option in the launcher GUI under the location tab that will autostart the aircraft in the air and you start up on approach to a runway.

The next version we are working on should have a full set of state selections in the launcher. States like
Parked, cold, dark, secured
Parked, cold and dark
Parked, running
Runway threshold, running
This should be available in 1-3 months

What you also don't have in your version, that is available in the release coming out now, is the Variant selections where you can select the aircraft configuration like gear selection and engine size. The version you have only allows those selections after you are in the simulator same as the autostart and the start with engine running.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:06 am

Autostart is found in the top menu once you load the simulator itself. If it does not appear, press F10 to toggle it.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby OldGrantonian2 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:36 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:06 am:Autostart is found in the top menu once you load the simulator itself. If it does not appear, press F10 to toggle it.

That's useful information. Thanks.
OldGrantonian2

Return to Flying