Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Map Features  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Map Features

Postby RobAndrew » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Hello there,

I have a few questions about the small map dialog that I use when flying. (Not the canvas or MP map) I would like to know how large the squares on the map are. I know that they change size with different zooms and was curious exactly how big these are, so I can potentially measure distances correctly. Maybe this would be better to do on a different map?
secondly, I looked on the map dialog Wiki and was intrigued to find that there is a marker point tool you can use, by ctrl clicking a spot, which will give you a cyan line with bearing and distance from your location to said spot. This would be extremely useful for me, but unfortunately this tool doesn't work for me for some reason. (Probably because the mac I'm using! :P )
I would also Like to know if there is some form of compass type tool I can use on one of the maps? I was looking at practising some CAP and understand that I need a compass to find out where a traveling target will be for me to intercept.

and thats all for now!
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Re: Map Features

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:48 pm

On Mac's, isn't CTRL replaced by something like CMD? Not too certain about that, I did think I heard something about that, but maybe you could try it. Or maybe I am misunderstanding and you are already using that?

Anyway, if you enable the option in the map you can have North replaced by the aircraft heading (map rotated) which also enables an indicator showing your heading. The yellow track line will show your track relative to your heading

Edit:

Yes, looks like Mac's do use command:

Thee Macintosh equivalent of the Windows Ctrl key is the (redacted, as the forum doesn't support the charset that has the symbol in it) key. It’s right next to the space bar. It’s pronounced “command,” although novices can often be heard calling it the “pretzel key,” “Apple key,” or “clover key.”

Most Windows Ctrl-key combos correspond perfectly to command key sequences on the Mac. The Save command is now command-S instead of Ctrl+S, Open is command-O instead of Ctrl+O, and so on.

So if you are trying to use command and it isn't working try control, or vice versa!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: Map Features  

Postby Isaak » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:00 am

I don't have FG at hands here, but if I recall it correctly, I always simply right click on the map to get the cyan line with distance marking from the aircraft.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Return to Flying