Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Not able to fly due to location/scenery?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Not able to fly due to location/scenery?

Postby rmvanderspek » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:02 am

Hello!

I am new to Flight Gear. I have installed it on a Macbook Pro running with Sierra. I thought it would be a good thing to start with the tutorials, but I keep bumping into issues.

At the first tutorial (pre-flight), I did not seem to be able to remove the wheel chocks. This was dus to the plain being partly 'submerged'. The wheel are halfway under the ground. I managed to find a workaround by removing the wheel chocks via the pre-flight check list. After this, I was able to complete this tutorial.

At the second tutorial (Start Up), I don't seem to be able to start the engine. I have followed all steps, but the engine just won't start. I have no idea what might be causing this issue. When I stop the tutorial and follow the steps at the airport EHDR the engine does start. So I am kind of concluding that I am taking all the right steps, but something else is getting in the way...

At the third tutorial (Taxiing), the instructor says she has started the engine, but it does not start at all. I just keep hearing the sound you hear when you first turn the key (it keeps 'coughing').

So this kind of keeps me from learning the basics to really get into Flight Gear. There is also an issue which may be related to the same bug as the above: Whenever I start (tutorial, or otherwise), I hear a crashing sound. When I look at my plain from helicopter view, I can see part of my left wing is missing. I guess even when I do get the engine to start, this might cause me some trouble trying to get the plain to lift off. Also the scenery does not load (not the default Los Angeles scenery, nor any manually added scenery).

I hope this is a simple common bug which can be solved. I am eager to get started.

rmvanderspek

Re: Not able to fly due to location/scenery?

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:22 am

You need to install scenery for the tutorial location (not sure where it currently is...) - then you'll be on a runway rather than in the water and everything will work much better :D

not the default Los Angeles scenery

Huh? LA has never been default senery.
Thorsten

Postby rmvanderspek » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:00 am

Thorsten wrote in Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:22 am:You need to install scenery for the tutorial location (not sure where it currently is...) - then you'll be on a runway rather than in the water and everything will work much better :D

not the default Los Angeles scenery

Huh? LA has never been default senery.

Haha, sorry, I meant San Fransisco. Allmost the same :-P.

Anyhow, than my problem is installing the scenery. If I install scenery manually it does not appear. And also using the TerraSync gives me issues... :-(

rmvanderspek

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:20 am

Right... proxy or firewall not permitting contact to TS?

How do you try to install scenery manually, i.e. what steps do you do?
Thorsten

Postby rmvanderspek » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:01 pm

First I download the Scenery I need:

I get zip-files. Via the add-ons option in Flight Gear the zip-files are 'grayed out' (non-selectable), so I unzip and than tar and compress to obtain the tar.gz extension.

Than I start FlightGear, click Add-ons, Next. I select the tar file. I click Open. Than I can see Flight gear decompressing and copying the files. It seems to go smoothly. Afterwards the location for scenery is added to the Additional scenery folders. Than I reboot the application.

When I check the location that's been added to Additional Scenery Folders, I verify that the expected folders are present:

rmvanderspek

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:17 pm

That looks about right - so is the airport you're trying to use part of the scenery chunk you installed (it's fairly easy to miss the lat-lon scheme sometimes it counts upward and sometimes it counts downward...)?

If you do nothing and just use a vanilla install - do you get to start on the default airport (probably PHNL Honolulu in recent times)?
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:21 pm

yes, the default airport is PHNL in Hawaii...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:33 pm

@OP,
This might help with downloading scenery:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraMaster
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby rmvanderspek » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:40 pm

That looks about right - so is the airport you're trying to use part of the scenery chunk you installed (it's fairly easy to miss the lat-lon scheme sometimes it counts upward and sometimes it counts downward...)?

The airport is in Drachten, The Netherlands. I am quite sure I have selected the right quadrant. Is there any way to check to make sure?

If you do nothing and just use a vanilla install - do you get to start on the default airport (probably PHNL Honolulu in recent times)?

When I leave default settings (Honolulu) I get the following scenery:

rmvanderspek

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Okay, now that's weird. So you never seem to get any sort of terrain?

I pass this on to the mailing list, this looks serious.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 pm

@rmvanderspek, is there anything in your FlightGear/data/scenery folder? Or is it empty?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby rmvanderspek » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:23 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 pm:@rmvanderspek, is there anything in your FlightGear/data/scenery folder? Or is it empty?

If you mean this folder than yes:

rmvanderspek

Postby wlbragg » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:36 pm

There is a possibility the space between Application and Support in "Application Support" is causing the issue. Try removing the space in the path and changing the folder structure.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby xDraconian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 pm

@rmvanderspek,

To run Tutorial #1, you need the terrain contained with /w160n10/w156n19
Based on your screenshot, it appears that you have it downloaded it into /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Scenery
Assuming you are running via the Launcher:
    Add /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Scenery to Add-ons > Additional Scenery Folders

I'm anticipating that this will resolve the issue with the terrain not loading.

Scott
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:49 pm

it appears that you have it downloaded it into /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Scenery

Yes, that does look like you have scenery in that location and your not pointing to it by your screen shot examples.

The path I pointed out, I can't tell if there is valid scenery in it or not, but do beware of spaces in path names, I have had that bit me before.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Next

Return to Flying