Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Missing Airports

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Missing Airports

Postby bbuske » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello all,

I am doing a tour for my VA, which leads along the US-Canadian border. However, their is one airport at the start of the route, that seems to be missing. At least it is missing on the map and you can't plot a route to it. I have not checked if it exists in the simulation. The airport ICAO is CCX3 (Brockway).

During the flight to another airport, namely Rogers (a small airstrip) I have found another airport, that is in the sim but does not appear on the map either. I have no idea what its name is. I found it by accident, when approaching destination. This one I have grabbed on a screenshot:

If the image doesn't show, right click it and choose open image in new tab.

Cheers
Last edited by bbuske on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

PPL(A) (2009), CPL(A)(2011), ATPL(A)(2015)
bbuske

Re: Missing Airports

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Hmm - for a start try searching for the airport name in the launcher, "Brockway"? Perhaps it has another code?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby bbuske » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:49 pm

No. I have tried that. Also, this was a VFR flight.

When I have followed the course and instructions correctly and the airport did not show up, was when I opened the map to have a look. According to the map, there was no airport nearby. Hence I went on doing the second leg of the route, landed and then went on to check for the airport in the launcher. It is not there. However, the airport exists, with that ICAO code, because I checked the website of the Canadian Airport Authorities before flying, in order to get some NAVAIDs and Frequencies, just in case. Check: https://www.airport6.com/en/a/CCX3/

Also there is that second airport (see screenshot), which is in the sim, but not appear on the map either.
Last edited by bbuske on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

bbuske

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:19 pm

There's actually airports missing in FG - there's a huge airbase in Morocco that's been designated as a Shuttle TAL site and it's simply not there in FG (I've checked by coordinates and looked at the area from high above - nothing)

Not sure why, but it's close to impossible to do anything about it, so you best pretend the airport is closed for renovation and fly on to the next one.
Thorsten

Postby bbuske » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:43 pm

That's what I have done.

Interesting enough. I would assume (without any deeper knowledge), that the data of the airports is being pulled out of some database. Possibly even a public database and that the airport is missing there. On the other hand, that would mean, that one could probably add those airports to it. Most databases about airports offer an option to request a new airport being added or adding one by yourself.

I can even understand, that such a small airport might probably not have been added in such a database simply because it is quite insignificant. Yet, in the example of your shuttle TAL, there is a way bigger airfield involved in it. But as I said, I lack the knowledge of how and where data for airfields, etc. are pulled into FG. So I have no clue, if and how this can be fixed.
Ben

bbuske

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:55 pm

On the other hand, that would mean, that one could probably add those airports to it. Most databases about airports offer an option to request a new airport being added or adding one by yourself.

Adding the airport to the database is not the problem (likely it's been done by now) - the hard step is to re-build all the terrain (you can't just re-build the particular airport without creating seams in the terrain), which has been a process running for months.

Ideally we'd like to be able to re-run world terrain quickly, but there's too few people working on it and it's a really tough problem.
Thorsten

Postby bbuske » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Ahhh OK! That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Well, I can imagine that rebuilding a global scenery such as this one will be an immense work and very time consumptive.

If there is anything I can help you guys with, let me know. I do know HTML / CSS as well as JavaScript, PHP and mySQL, as I am a full-time web developer (I know my signature says otherwise, but I really do only fly airliners on some occasions due to bad pay and the desolate state of equipment. Pretty much only as a hopper if someone is missing out). I also know some C / C++ and Java. I am running an IT business here in Caracas. Now, I don't know what you need either... more manpower, more computing power? etc.

I had thought about getting involved more with FG... I also like the idea of making / revamping cockpits, as I am quite a cockpit geek. I am lacking the 3D modelling required, though I know XML. I just need some time to get into it I guess... :)
Ben

bbuske

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:20 pm

More manpower mostly - I don't know this first-hand, but the issue is that with so much data over the world, the toolchain is bound to hit snags here and there and hangs - so these situations need to be identified and fixed.

If you want to get involved (which would be terrific) - try asking for Torsten Dreyer on the mailing list (or write him a PM, his forum name is Torsten (similar to me, but note the lack of 'h') - he's currently in command of the scenery efforts. He can give you a much better picture of what would be needed than I can.
Thorsten

Postby bbuske » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Yes,

I can imagine that. There is a lot of computing power needed and not to mention the huge amount of data. Plus, it is pretty certain, that our two airports are not the only ones missing... so a solution would be nice for future solutions as well. If people find missing airports or whatever parts of the scenery, it would be easier to add it.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I have sent a PM to Torsten. I had though at first it was you lol but then I did realize the missing "h".

Cheers
Ben

bbuske

Return to Flying