Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Taxiing Problem

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Taxiing Problem

Postby GreatPilot8 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Whenever I taxi on a taxiway, it's like the taxiway line is a hole!
My Cessna's wheel bends & wings break off & today the whole plane
got thrown in the air above KSFO. Is this normal?
GreatPilot8

Re: Taxiing Problem

Postby wlbragg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:27 am

Yes and no, it's normal that the taxi line is raised as it is how it was draped over the scenery. Can't say I approve of the method but since I wasn't involved in trying to provide a solution for that issue I really have nothing to say about it other than it obviously isn't optimal.
As far as breaking the aircraft in any manner, no it shouldn't do that. But if the line is high enough off the surface and the aircraft has damage modeling and hits an obstruction hard enough, then yeah, it's going to break.

EDIT:

I was just testing it at KSFO and I was able to reproduce your issue when I had damage enabled.

Hum, I noticed that some of the raised taxi lines you are able to collide with and yet others you can't and simply pass right through. Someone else will have to explain that. I have no idea as to why that is.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:04 am

All lines should be co-planar with the taxiway mesh. They get raised by the shader to avoid z-fighting, but that doesn't affect collision detection.

However, if the line during the creation process is not co-planar by virtue of some error, then it is an actual obstacle (never encountered one of those, so they seem to be rare, but given how large the world really is, there are occasional mesh glitches for sure).
Thorsten

Postby w3bc » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:18 pm

Yeah. It's nasty. Taxi a PA28 out to RWY 7 at KDUJ. I dare ya! :) ...

My workaround is to avoid the centerline on taxiways, or use the grass. But it really ruins your day to complete a great flight and grease the landing, only to wind up in a calamitous upset caused by a silly little ol' PAINT LINE!!! :-( :x
w3bc

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:46 pm

w3bc wrote in Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:18 pm:Yeah. It's nasty. Taxi a PA28 out to RWY 7 at KDUJ. I dare ya! :) ...
[...]
My workaround is to avoid the centerline on taxiways, or use the grass. But it really ruins your day to complete a great flight and grease the landing, only to wind up in a calamitous upset caused by a silly little ol' PAINT LINE!!! :-( :x

agreed... looking at that first picture, that paintline is much much too high... ISTR someone saying something about them being placed centimeters above the runway which just didn't make sense to me... why not millimeters, instead... but yeah... this is what we have for now so be careful out there...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying