Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Command line starting parameters seems to not work anymore

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Command line starting parameters seems to not work anymore

Postby camileck » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:19 pm

I have been practicing approaches (or just starting in-cruise) using following starting parameters but they seems to not work anymore. I have also tried with exact positions parameters but it did not work either. Then I tried with auto-coordination option and it worked so it seems that only position related flags do not work. Have you experienced this issue? Most probably it started after upgrading to 2018.2. Is it something with my installation or is it general problem?

Ubutu 16.04
FG 2018.2

camileck

Re: Command line starting parameters seems to not work anymo

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 pm

it isn't your installation... it is a part of what is being worked on to specify where you want to spawn in at... technically speaking, use the location tab and put your lat/lon in there... i haven't tested today's new code, yet, but the other day, i found that the location tab wants "lon, lat" instead of "lat, lon"... so for you, in the location search bar, you would put in "15.943665, 51.140221" without the quotes... then the tab will change and show you the map of the area... in the bottom 1/4th of the map will be another box where you set your offset, altitude, speed and other related settings... so you won't need any of those location related settings in the "Additional Settings" box any more... in fact, the launcher will complain if you put them in there ;)

PS: when you put them in the launcher, they're no longer ""command line"" options :mrgreen:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby camileck » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am

Thank you for your reply! I found offset setting following your suggestion but cannot see
another box where you set [...] altitude, speed and other related settings

camileck

Postby zakalawe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm

At present you can't enter speed or altitude for a runway offset, only for a navaid offset (try using a VOR or NDB). I can extent the Ui to allow setting a speed for runway approach though, but it won't show up until 2018.3. You can still enter --vc in the additional args box however, in this case, in the current version.

However, about your original question: you enter an offset distance but no offset bearing and no base position (airport or navaid) - what do you expect this to do? Since to my understanding this has never worked; an offset is always relative to a base position, usually a navaid or runway or lat,lon? Whereabouts do you start?
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby camileck » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Thank you for your reply zakalawe. Answering your question - inserting following options into the Settings text box and selecting airport+rwy in Location tab always worked for me:
–-offset-distance=5
-–altitude=1500
–-vc=120

Nevertheless I finally managed to start FG in on-approach using offset setting from Location tab and speed + altitude using Settings text box.

As always I got a great help here, thank you!
camileck

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:06 pm

camileck wrote in Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am:Thank you for your reply! I found offset setting following your suggestion but cannot see
another box where you set [...] altitude, speed and other related settings

errrg... which 2018.2 are you using? .1 or .2? if 2018.2.1, please try 2018.2.2... i don't remember when it was added but i know it is or will be there before too long...

it'll look something like this but i'm running the latest code in the repo so some things may not be exact...

"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby zakalawe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:42 pm

camileck wrote in Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:50 pm:Thank you for your reply zakalawe. Answering your question - inserting following options into the Settings text box and selecting airport+rwy in Location tab always worked for me:
–-offset-distance=5
-–altitude=1500
–-vc=120
Nevertheless I finally managed to start FG in on-approach using offset setting from Location tab and speed + altitude using Settings text box.

Okay, this is a slightly interesting case to support. I've added a speed (VC) setting to the airport-runway page on the development version, I'm not sure if I can add altitude as well, trying to avoid overloading that page, but I can try.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:49 pm

altitude is already there if you're talking about the above picture as being the "airport runway page" ;)

or are you speaking of in the in-sim airport selection page?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Flying