Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Newbie: Flight Log? Tutorial twitches?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Newbie: Flight Log? Tutorial twitches?

Postby CatOnMyLap » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi, new to FlightGear (18.1.1 on Win10) after ~40hrs of FSX(steam) and no flying experience. Bear with me.

First off, thanks to all the people who create and maintain this. The installation and basic configuration was well documented, easy to follow and just worked. I have some twitches with CH Pro yoke and pedals (mostly the Win 10 config box seems to intermingle the axes of the two devices, but everything actually works as expected in flight). I've been working through the manual and the tutorials. So I'm not complaining, and quite possibly missed something (I've got maybe 8 hrs of reading and trying things); corrections welcome!

1: Does FlightGear have any kind of pilot log book? Not the Flight Recorder (which looks like it's more for replay and analysis), but just the "normal" log of date / times / to / from &c?
Searches found:
And not much else, and nothing that would take data directly from FlightSim.

2: Couple of the Tutorials, e.g. "Radio Tuning" and "Straight-in Landing", tend to start with the plane off (especially on Reset).
    Minor nuisance for Radio Tuning, because the focus is pulled to the radio stack on each directive, and getting the battery and avionics turned on can be a game of tug-o-war.
    Rather more exciting for first landing! I managed to get the plane running &c (didn't remember the Autostart menu, but did remember the start sequence!), aborted and tried to come around for a second attempt, but lost the airport in the process (eventually used the map to track it down and tune in). The tutorial half-recovers when you get back near the starting point, but it's no longer coordinated with the state of the plane.
I'm guessing the workaround is "Use autostart for tutorials" (either config or from the pull-down menu), but I didn't see that suggested for any of the tutorials. Just a thought that these could be a bit friendlier to newbies.

At any rate, I bent virtual planes (landing gear) on two of my first three landings -- LELL's kinda tough for first landings! -- but have been doing fine since.

3: Tutorial "Flying the Pattern" either has voices talking over each other (similar voice giving both tutorial directives and tower comms simultaneously) or no directives at all if I disable the Tutorial Voice. Turning off the radio does not seem to stop the general tower comms from coming through.

FlightGear 2018.1.1; Windows 10 Pro (all updates);
CPU 4770k (no OC); GTX 1060 (6GB) (Nvidia dr v. 223.21.13.9135)
Dual (or triple) monitor
CH FLIGHT SIM YOKE USB and CH PRO PEDALS USB (as listed by Win10 and matching FG config files - still reading and testing the xml vs GUI)
CatOnMyLap

Re: Newbie: Flight Log? Tutorial twitches?

Postby PINTO » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 pm

On mobile, so sorry for the short reply, but check http://fgtracker.ml for the tracking website. It relies on being connected to an official multiplayer server.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (link to repo) (link to thread)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: 2016.3.0

Re: Newbie: Flight Log? Tutorial twitches?

Postby CatOnMyLap » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:34 pm

PINTO wrote in Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 pm:... check http://fgtracker.ml for the tracking website.

thx for that. Registered, said Hello to a dozen or so ppl, did a few touch-n-goes. Great!
CatOnMyLap

Return to Flying