Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Why am I crashing?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Why am I crashing?

Postby BJW » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:31 am

I'm using the default Cessna 172P and the tutorials seem to be coming out of the Barcelona airport. The only tuts I've been able to completely get through without them sticking are pre flight, start up and take off. When I want to come out of tutorial mode I go to select airport and pick Prague then I can practice not in tutorial mode.
As explained in my first post a few days ago I am completely new to flight sims and on a very slow metered Internet connection, so not sure if I will be able to conquer this quite complex programme. Although today for the first time I got off the ground and actually stayed up for a few minutes, yippee
BJW

Version: 2017.3.1

Postby BJW » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 am

As I explained in my first post a few days ago I am completely new to flight sims and not too technical. The plane is the default Cessna 172P and the tutorials are using Barcelona airport.
When I want to come out of tutorial mode I go to load the airport Prague and practise there.
I’ve not been too successful with the tutorials, so have been reading other posts and whatever info I can find on the net. Today for the first time I finally go into the air and stayed there for some time, now I have to learn the next bit, but I must be improving. It just seemed strange that the welcome to the tutorials comes on as soon as the programme loads up and that didn't seem right.
BJW

Postby hans05 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:04 am

BJW, have you downloaded FG from the official web page or do you have a version on DVD that you paid for?
hans05

Postby dilbert » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Hans makes a very good point.
If you had downloaded from the official site, your version should be 2017.3.1. Check the installer to see.
If the default airport is Barcelona, you may have an earlier version, as I think 2017.3.1 uses Prague.
Assuming you don't have any scenery or airplane files to be carried over, suggest you follow the
procedure described above for obtaining a wiped clean installation, download the installer for
2017.3.1 from the FlightGear official site and reinstall. Being stuck in the tutorial is not a normal situation. I entered the tutorial, then pressed escape and quit; after which I restarted to see if perhaps the "launcher" , or starting routine, would put me back in the tutorial; which was not the case. So the "official" version does not seem to have the problem you described.
By the way, when you post, it's customary to supply your FlightGear version, hardware configuration,
and operating system, which makes it easier for those helping you troubleshoot. The best way to do this
is to update and include the information in your profile. That way it will appear to the right of your posts without your having to re-enter it every time.
Best Regards :)
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby BJW » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:00 am

I've been trying to reply to last post (twice ) but my answers to the questions are not appearing. Does the website go down occasionally?
BJW

Postby dilbert » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:16 pm

You might have unintentionally left your posting having failed to click "submit", which can happen sometimes. The website is very reliable.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:39 pm

of there may have been a new post and you didn't see the red notification about that which makes you have to click the [SUBMIT] button again... or if writing small posts, you have to wait for a minute or two... when you try to post within the time limit, it'll tell you and you have to wait and click [SUBMIT] again... hopefully the timer will have run out... if not, you get to wait and click again :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby BJW » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:39 am

I’m a beginner and just getting into the basics. Using the basic Cessna and the tutorial appears to be using the Barcelona airport, at least that’s what it says. When I want to come out of the tutorial mode I go to airport and select Prague airport and I seem to be able to practice there all right. Probably not the correct way to go about it.
I’ve tried to post this reply several times over the last couple of days, but the reply is not appearing in the Flying group. So I posted that problem in the Forum group and was advised to clear cookies and history from my browsers which is what I have done. Although I was trying to reply on two different devices. So hope this reply gets through.
BJW

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:07 am

this one came through, alright...

yes, in the sim you can ""teleport"" to an airport by selecting it from the F10->Location menu... that works fine for the most part... you could also shut down the sim and reload the launcher to start at another airport you would choose from the launcher's location tab... doing it this second way ensures that all the systems and subsystems that make up FG are fully cleared and restarted clean... using the ""teleport"" method may not restart all subsystems cleanly... a lot of this is being worked on and cleaned up but it will take some time... for now, it works well enough for most folks ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby sim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Don't use any tutorial! Better to load the c172 when starting flightgear and sort out where the problem is.
Are ailerons elevator rudder all moving fully using your stick?
Are you sure FG sees the correct stick xml. Simple way to check is open that xml by right clicking it and choose "edit"
Read which number button or buttons operates flaps and ensure those buttons do work the flaps once FG is started.
That should eliminate the stick as cause of crashing or difficulty controlling the plane :wink:

Barcalona sounds odd place for tutorial. To make sure your Flightgear is genuine version only download FG from the official Flightgear website. . :shock:

If your computer is low spec with integrated graphics rather than a dedicated graphics card.
The latest FG version may be too demanding.
There are older FG versions that will run better on low spec computers and are still fun to fly!

This video flies earlier Flightgear ver 2.6.0
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:58 pm

sim wrote in Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:14 pm:Barcalona sounds odd place for tutorial.

Barcelona and the surrounding area is exactly the right place for the tutorial(s) that come with the c172p and FG with the default airport at Barcelona/El Pratt... the c172p team was redoing the tutorials for each new default airport but it became too much work really quickly... then, because the craft is not always updated in FG when a new FG version is released, it is too easy for users to find themselves in the water with no scenery when they start a tutorial that changes their location as is done with some of the c172p tutorials... since the users likely do not have that scenery downloaded and installed, there's a problem and complaints of "something's broken"... so to alleviate the complaints and bug reports, there's a new plan being worked on to handle the tutorials in a different way so that they don't have to be changed every time the default airport changes... that plan will be announced at a later time when all the details are worked out and it is implemented :)

i guess you also know that FG <2017.3 is pretty much unsupported at this point, right? it is always best to get the latest FG because there are a lot of bugs fixed and newer modifications to the craft likely will not work in the old versions... especially when things like the multiplayer protocol are upgraded as well as enhancements to the craft...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby BJW » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:40 am

Sorry for the multiple posts couldn’t see posts coming up didn’t notice the small NEXT underneath the thread. The FG software was downloaded from the official site about a week ago.

However, I have now performed, I think for a second time a clean uninstall and downloaded the software from the official site again. It takes me about five hours on a slow internet.
But couldn't uninstall as suggested because another programme ArcSsoft Theatre something or other took over, so I uninstalled through the Windows Add & Remove programme. and deleted the other files as advised, So now I will re-install and see where that takes me. Thanks everyone.
BJW

Previous

Return to Flying