Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Bug in Cessna 172p tutorial

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Bug in Cessna 172p tutorial

Postby Samgordon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi,

There is a bug in the "Start Up" portion of the tutorial for the Cessna 172p aircraft. The engine doesn't autostart, and it can't be started manually either, even while following the checklist or the tutorial instructions. Outside the tutorial though the aircraft can be started manually and it also autostarts.

Sam
Samgordon

Re: Bug in Cessna 172p tutorial

Postby wlbragg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:47 pm

Welcome to the forums Samgordon!

I just ran through the entire startup tutorial sequence and it worked fine. Can you elaborate please. We need to be able to reproduce your failure in order to fix it.

Maybe you can start be providing your system specs and the version of FlightGear your using.

Next, please describe in detail every step you take and the settings of all the equipment you adjust as you go through the tutorial.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Samgordon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:30 am

Samgordon

Postby wlbragg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:05 am

Oh, that makes it a little easier to troubleshoot.
That is supposed to be LEBL Barcelona Spain. It's not working because you don't have the airport scenery that the tutorial is taking you to and you are starting up in a crashed condition and in water.
wlbragg

Postby Samgordon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:21 pm

The default airport is Sabadel airport. I don't know why the tutorial is taking me to somewhere where I don't have scenery or where it's actually taking me.

Thanks.
Samgordon

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:19 pm

the tutorial has no idea that you don't have the scenery for that area... there's no way for it to tell... to fix the problem, enable TerraSync and spawn in at that airport... the scenery will download and you'll be good to go then... the main thing is to enable TerraSync so your system will download the necessary scenery...

the default airport for 2017.3 is LEBL which is Barcelona–El Prat... Sabadell* is LELL... they're about 20km (12mi) apart... the tutorials for the 2017.3 release were split between the two airports because some things are easier/better done at one then the other... there was a question about larger commercial craft being able to spawn there and actually be able to take off or land... the c172p team decided to split their tutorials between the two airports... at that time, they were fixing up the tutorials and flights for each default airport as they were chosen... that's a lot of work so now it isn't done like that... take, for example, a scenic flight tour... someone has to actually go fly that and write everything down so it can be put into the tutorial so that you can come along and actually follow it and fly the same tour...

the new upcoming release of FG (currently in RC status) has PHNL in Honolulu as the default airport... the c172p will take you from PHNL to LEBL and LELL when you run its tutorials so folks will still need to downloaded the scenery... it is just a tutorial, after all... they can be done pretty much anywhere... the question is about maintaining and recoding them when the default airport changes... the team decided to get the tutorials done, have them well detailed, and then to just leave them as is until such time as they must be changed for some reason... it would be rather more confusing for the tutorial to tell you to start your engine and then taxi to the left down the taxiway and turn right onto the runway when the airport parking you may really be in has the taxiway going straight out in front of you and the runway on the left ;)

so, remember... each craft may have its own tutorials... some do not... the tutorials may be written for some airport that you may not have ever been to... when you start them, you will transport to the new location... if you don't have the scenery already, just wait for it to come down the pipe and then start the tutorial again...

BTW: welcome to FlightGear! we're glad to have you come aboard :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Gijs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:51 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:19 pm:the tutorial has no idea that you don't have the scenery for that area... there's no way for it to tell...

I guess the tutorial could check whether the aircraft is actually in a non-crashed state when the tutorial starts. If crashed, it could print a message explaining one possible cause could be the lack of scenery. This probably doesn't help everyone, but at least people will have a clue as to what's going wrong.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:23 pm

that's an idea that might be worth implementing :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Samgordon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:13 pm

Samgordon

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:41 pm

You mean that it thinks your a monkey working to get a banana?

Does the tutorial continue if you don't put the brakes back on?

You may have confused it by setting the brakes off before it asked you to.
Last edited by wlbragg on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlbragg

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Gijs wrote in Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:51 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:19 pm:the tutorial has no idea that you don't have the scenery for that area... there's no way for it to tell...

I guess the tutorial could check whether the aircraft is actually in a non-crashed state when the tutorial starts. If crashed, it could print a message explaining one possible cause could be the lack of scenery. This probably doesn't help everyone, but at least people will have a clue as to what's going wrong.

i asked about this and the general feeling is that this is better implemented sim-side instead of every craft having to code it into each of their tutorials... as i understand it, the check would take place when the tutorial is selected but before it actually starts... if the check for non-crashed passes, then the tutorial runs as usual... if the check does not pass, FG would pop up a notification box suggesting that the user ensure they have downloaded the scenery for the airport... the notification box text should name the airport, too... especially since some tutorials will transport you to another airport than the one you were at when you selected that tutorial...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 pm

@wkitty42, you may be cross posting as this is not the issue being discussed here currently.

I am aware of the developer conversation however and that was the original issue to this thread. It has since evolved.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:10 pm

@wkitty42, please disregard my last post. I see now what you were conveying.
wlbragg

Postby Samgordon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:48 pm

It doesn't continue if I don't put the brakes back on. In fact, the moment I lelease the brake, whether when the tutorial is talking or later, it says "Apply the brakes by pressing b." For some reason the "b" key also does't work. I'm sure it will be reproducible.

Thanks.
Samgordon

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:03 pm

OK, it worked here. I didn't think it did but it actually did.

What it wants you to do is to use the Shift+B to release the "Parking Brake" then it wants you to apply the "regular" brakes by pressing only b. They do work, If you look at the brake pedals, not the parking brake you'll see them move. Hold the b down until it acknowledges you did it.
wlbragg

Next

Return to Flying