Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Unstable Flight

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Unstable Flight

Postby gypsy639 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm

I am running FG 2017.2.1 on my HP 15-ay052nr Intel Core 13 with 4 GB Memory. My ram memory never exceeds 3.89 (max usable memory) and when flying Cessna 172P after takeoff, plane becomes completely unstable and controls have no effect until inverted flight and ultimate crash occurs. I have tried every setting (R/L Rudder trim...L/R aileron trim) nothing works. My question: will a ram memory upgrade to 8 GB Memory solve that issue?
gypsy639

Re: Unstable Flight

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Hmm --> are you using a joystick or mouse or keyboard to control the aircraft? Is your performance not good enough to control the aircraft?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby gypsy639 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 pm

PS. I'm controling flight with a Thrustmaster T.Flight Joystick X
gypsy639

Postby gypsy639 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:11 pm

1-2 seconds after V1, all control is lost.
gypsy639

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:51 pm

How many frames per second are you getting? Drop down tab "Veiw" then open the "Veiw options" Tab, mark "show frame rate" with an X in the box, and report back...but also report back with your full specs' of your machine as this helps the forum help you! But you said you have 4Gb RAM which is hovering around 3.89Gb, this in my opinion is "sailing rather close to the wind" as the system will be turning on and off other functions and services and task manager is usually a little behind them in updating itself, so you could well be MAXING out the RAM, and not even knowing it, My task manager alone uses 23Mb of RAM when open. May I suggest you download and try RAZOR Cortex https://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/cortex as you can turn off alot of unwanted services that consume RAM in the background. But also I have the Trustmaster HOTAS X, I've never had any problems with mine, I know it's plug and play but download the official driver for it and install it as I found it does speed up the responce times on this joystick. Also another piece of good software to use to assign keys without the need to start writing (or re-writing) key bindings to the joystick is Antimicro https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro We all look forward to seeing your PC specs' as this will help a great deal as well in helping you to overcome this issue!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby stuart » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm

It's unlikely to be RAM related and more RAM is unlikely tohave any effect. From your description I suspect that one of the control axis is misbehaving - either elevator (so you're stalling and then spinning) or aileron.

A couple of things to try:
1) Unplug the joystick and try controlling with the keyboard. If that just about works (you will probably struggle to control the aircraft, but it shouldn't immediately become unstable), then it suggests there's something wrong with the joystick input or configuration.

2) Use the Joystick Configuration menu to check that the joystick is mapped to the correct controls. For example, it might be that the configuration mapping is wrong and your throttle control is applying full elevator as well.

3) Display the HUD to see what your inputs are doing. In particular look at the trim settings.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Hooray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 pm

I agree with Stuart - it would be a good idea to see if you are able to use the ufo, or even just replay another flight without seeing such issues.
As a matter of fact, from a troubleshooting standpoint, it would actually be great to include some pre-recorded flights (fgtapes) as part of $FG_ROOT (i.e. the base package), which may also be a good way to demo some features (e.g. if integrated with the tutorial/missions system)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby gypsy639 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Clive, the box “show frame rate” is checked. Where do I find the frame rate numbers? The full specs as I know the:

HP Laptop Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Ram 4.00 GB (3,89 GB usable)
Sys Type 64 - OS x64-based processor
gypsy639

Postby Hooray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:32 pm

First, do as Stuart suggested, please disconnect all input peripherals and report back here.
If in doubt, open the HUD and post a screen shot here.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby gypsy639 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi Stuart. I have tried disconnecting joystick and using keyboard and mouse. Results same. .

I have checked and rechecked the joystick config and mapping. HUD showed neutral trim settings. Tried rudder trim (L/R) with same results.
gypsy639

Postby Hooray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:46 pm

could you try the ufo ? or any other aircraft to see whether any of this is aircraft specific ?
Are you using any custom settings, or just the defaults ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:56 pm

gypsy639 wrote in Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:29 pm:Clive, the box “show frame rate” is checked. Where do I find the frame rate numbers?

small red numbers in bottom right corner of window... there's another box for the timings between frames... that one is on the bottom left... now, these may affect actual framerates, too... it might be better to just open the F10 menu, go to Debug and then down to Cycle On-Screen Stats... this will turn on a frame rate counter in the top left corner... close the F10 menu to see it... if you click on COSS a second time, there's graph that comes up (and really eats processing time)... click it again and a chart of values comes up... click it once more and they all go away...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:10 am

There's also a built-in performance monitor that would show any obvious suspects

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Use_the_system_monitor
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby gypsy639 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:37 am

Can't get screen print to display here on forum. I've seen that sys monitor and I have no clue what I'm looking at.
gypsy639

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:45 am

F3
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Next

Return to Flying