Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Parkings not displayed when selecting location

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Parkings not displayed when selecting location

Postby bob755 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am

If I choose an airport from "Location" when starting FG, I don't see parkings for any airports and the radio button at the bottom is greyed out.
However, if I select an airport from the FG main menu I can see the parkings on the airfield chart.
bob755

Re: Parkings not displayed when selecting location

Postby BEL ISAAK » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 am

Which version of Flightgear are you using? What are your system specifications? This might help in sorting the issue out.
BEL ISAAK

Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby bob755 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:10 am

FG version 2017.3.1

PC: Dell Precision M4800, 16Gb RAM Intel i7-4900MQ@2.8GHz, NVIDIA Quadro K2100M, W7 Porfessional

I've no other problems of this kind.
In fact I notice that even the airport select chart display in FG does not always display the parkings when the option is checked. It seems random.
bob755

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I would try clearing your FlightGear cache in C:/Users/XXX/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org
Jonathan
Custom Venezuela Scenery
Programmer at the it0uchpods Design Group
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 pm

bob755 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am:If I choose an airport from "Location" when starting FG, I don't see parkings for any airports

which airport(s)? it is very possible that not well known airports simply do not have ground nets and parking defined... also, i'm guessing you're seeing this in the launcher???

bob755 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am:However, if I select an airport from the FG main menu I can see the parkings on the airfield chart.

same airport? i'm guessing this is in the F10->Location->Select_airport menu in the sim? where you specifically have to turn on the parking display in the Airport Chart button?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby bob755 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm

I've already tried clearing the cache.
I've tried several airports and no parkings available in the launcher.

same airport? i'm guessing this is in the F10->Location->Select_airport menu in the sim? where you specifically have to turn on the parking display in the Airport Chart button?

Yes. In this case the parkings are displayed.

I'm using custom Git scenery with the command line option --fg-scenery=

You can try LFMT of LFPO and tell me whether you see the parkings. I checked and there are groundnet.xml files for these airports thart contain the parkings.
bob755

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:48 pm

bob755 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm:I'm using custom Git scenery with the command line option --fg-scenery=

i would suspect a/the problem there, first... you'll have to ask them for help...

bob755 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm:You can try LFMT

bob755 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm:of LFPO and tell me whether you see the parkings.

both airports look fine in the sim's Location->Select Airport dialog, too... both display their parking spaces with no problem...

bob755 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm:I checked and there are groundnet.xml files for these airports thart contain the parkings.

here's what i have in my terrasync Airports/L/F/M and Airports/L/F/P directories for those airports' xml files...
Code: Select all
-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 9517 Sep  1 16:38 LFMT.groundnet.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser  279 Apr 18  2016 LFMT.ils.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser  911 Apr 18  2016 LFMT.threshold.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser  199 Apr 18  2016 LFMT.twr.xml

-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 7540 Sep  1 16:38 LFPO.groundnet.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 1051 Apr 18  2016 LFPO.ils.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 1345 Apr 18  2016 LFPO.threshold.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser  202 Apr 18  2016 LFPO.twr.xml
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby bob755 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks for confirming.
I also have the same files. From what I can tel, l the groundnet files are also used for the FG sim map so I don't understand why the launcher is having problems.
bob755

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm using custom Git scenery with the command line option --fg-scenery=

Well, what happens if you don't use custom GIT scenery and use plain terrasync?

Basically, if any custom addon doesn't work but a standard FG install does, you very likely need to contact that provider of the custom addon for a fix.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:03 pm

bob755 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm:Thanks for confirming.

confirming what? i'm not sure if you're talking about the screen shots of the launcher showing the parking spaces or the files or both...

FWIW: i didn't click a parking space but they do work as i use them all the time...

bob755 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm:I also have the same files. From what I can tel, l the groundnet files are also used for the FG sim map so I don't understand why the launcher is having problems.

if your launcher is showing you the parking spaces like i show above in my screen shots, then your launcher should not be having a problem...

inside the sim, the F10->Location->Select_airport menu doesn't let you click on the parking spaces... you have to type it in the field exactly as it is displayed... while you are typing, it is looking so every letter you type makes another search until it finds a match... some airports have all their parking spaced named the same... in those cases, the sim will select one of them for you... generally the first one in its list, IIRC... slowly over time this is being corrected in the ground net XML files which are, IIRC, released via terrasync with other scenery related data files...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby bob755 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 am

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:03 pm:confirming what? i'm not sure if you're talking about the screen shots of the launcher showing the parking spaces or the files or both...

Thanks ofr confirming that you see the parkings for the same airports

if your launcher is showing you the parking spaces like i show above in my screen shots, then your launcher should not be having a problem...

As I explained, the parkings are not showing in the launcher and the Parking radio button in the launcher is greyed out. However they do show from the Location-> Select Airport menu in FG.
I know one can't click them but if they show up on the map, one can enter them in the Parking field

The reason I want to select the parking location in the launcher is becuse the plane I'm using has problems when the loaction is selected from the FG Location menu.

I'll probably end up reinstalling FG
bob755

Postby Thorsten » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:29 am

... which probably won't do anything if the issue is with the custom scenery.
Thorsten

Postby bob755 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 am

Thorsten wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:29 am:

... which probably won't do anything if the issue is with the custom scenery.

Yes, because I will revert to the FG scenery which I removed.
bob755

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:08 pm

bob755 wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 am:
wkitty42 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:03 pm:confirming what? i'm not sure if you're talking about the screen shots of the launcher showing the parking spaces or the files or both...

Thanks ofr confirming that you see the parkings for the same airports

ok... except that those are from the launcher... are we talking about the same launcher??

bob755 wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 am:

As I explained, the parkings are not showing in the launcher

you seem to be saying that my screen shots above are what you see... my screen shots are of the launcher... the launcher is NOT FGRun any more... FGRun has been abandoned and is no longer supported...

bob755 wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 am:and the Parking radio button in the launcher is greyed out. However they do show from the Location-> Select Airport menu in FG.
I know one can't click them but if they show up on the map, one can enter them in the Parking field

i think you're gonna need to share some pictures... i showed screen shots of the launcher with parking available...

bob755 wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 am:The reason I want to select the parking location in the launcher is becuse the plane I'm using has problems when the loaction is selected from the FG Location menu.

what kind of problems? the code should be using the same pathway to position the craft so it is unlikely that going a different route to select a parking place will work...

bob755 wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 am:I'll probably end up reinstalling FG

it shouldn't be necessary to go to that extreme but if you do, don't forget to wipe the %appdata%/Roaming/flightgear.org directory after uninstalling FG... check that directory name, though... i may not have it right at this time of the morning...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby bob755 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:38 pm

ok... except that those are from the launcher... are we talking about the same launcher??
you seem to be saying that my screen shots above are what you see... my screen shots are of the launcher... the launcher is NOT FGRun any more... FGRun has been abandoned and is no longer supported...

I said the launcher not FGRun. So we are talking about the same launcher.
I replaced all the custom scenery with FG Scenery and the parkings are now showing up in the launcher when choosing an airport.
I've noticed that sometimes they are not displayed on the airport chart when searching for an airport from the menu Location-> Select Airport menu in FG.

The parkings always seem to be displayed for the airport that was chosen in the launcher. This time LFPG was selected in the launcher
bob755

Next

Return to Flying