Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Some aircrafts will not start the engines

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Some aircrafts will not start the engines

Postby Harrisson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Hi there ! I'm new here in the forum but i use FlightGear for some time already.

I have a little problem with two aircrafts : De Havilland Canada DHC 6 300 Twin Otter (wheels) and Cessna Citation II

They simply don't start the engines (I tested in manual and autostart mode, for the DHC I removed the exterior covers too). Everything works fine with other aircrafts (Cessna 172P, Tupolev, Boeings etc).

Everything loads too (airports, AI traffic, etc). Also, the lights of these aircrafts will not go on (and the battery indicator reads "empty").

First, I was using the latest version (2017.3.1), I though that maybe it was some compatibility issue (because I used them before) and installed 2017.2.1 but the same thing happens.

I'm running on a fresh install of Windows 10 and a fresh and clean install of FlightGear.

The airport is at Clermont-Ferrand (France). This error (or bug) is always there If I try to start at the runway or at the gates.

I hope I gave you all the information needed (but if you need some debug logs or anything like that just tell mehow and I will provide you).

And I thank you for your help =)
Harrisson

Re: Some aircrafts will not start the engines

Postby robelt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 am

If there is not error out put on the console, then the problem is that you have not run the checklist. Magnetos, Fuel and Payload, Main Ignition and soon. Make sure you see the aircraft help before starting the Engines.
Pilot : "Bogey1 is in range..."
Bogey1 : "The Pilot is in range..."
robelt

Callsign: Nemesis
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 am

Also, the lights of these aircrafts will not go on (and the battery indicator reads "empty").

Electric failure checked in the failure dialog by accident?
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 pm

fuses or breakers needing to be (re)set?

also remember that some craft save their state in the aircraft-data directory... if you have a craft that has drained its battery and you exit the sim with it in that state, it will still be drained when you start the sim with that craft... generally speaking, drained batteries are fully charged by using the craft's damage repair option if it has one... otherwise, some other form of charging or jump-starting the craft needs to be provided... battery charger or APU??

also, some craft may flood their engines if the primer is pumped too many times... and not getting the mixture set correctly if the craft uses such... then there's ensuring that the magnetos are enabled if the craft uses them...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Harrisson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi!

When starting the simulation, the DHC 6 300 Twin Otter (downloaded from the official hangar) has an external power supply, and we can choose the power from the battery or the external power (makes no difference, still the engines won't start). I will post screens of the checklist (FlightGear version 2017.3.1):

In this one, the first checklist, just remove the external covers (we can see the external power too)

And then the second:

Continuating the second:

And then the problems start: the checklist says to check this indicator, and it is not above the indicated valor (18V)

After this point, more problems: the indicated boxes should turn on when the caution light is on, but this is not the case (I think... because the voltage is zero ?):

And, finishing the "before engines start" checklist, the hydraulic pressure is at zero when it should be between 1300 and 1600 PSI.

I don't think the battery is drained out since I installed everything yesterday and I don't have any failure checked.

Not even the autostart option works.

I'm sorry if the screens made this post sooooooo long, I haven't found an option to hide them (like the "spoilers warning" option in some forums).

And I'm happy with your effort to help me, thank you very much ! I will keep trying by myself too - if I find the problem I will inform you.
Harrisson

Postby wlbragg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Hum, I installed the DHC 6 300 straight from the launcher, started the sim, noticed the aircraft was on the runway with tie-downs installed and the external power attached, hit autostart, after both engines were running I clicked on external power to remove it and took off.
You may be stuck in a bad save state and need to clear out the aircraft's cache.

When you start the aircraft and hit autostart what happens?
If nothing then you need to post the log so we can see what is going on.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Has caused the same phenomenon before... If you switch the battery on and the voltmeter doesn't show anything, you have an electric failure for sure.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Yeah, that definitely shut it all down. In this case it was Equipment/System Failures/Electrical was checked. It shuts the electrical down completely.
wlbragg

Postby Harrisson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm

wlbragg wrote in Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:48 pm:When you start the aircraft and hit autostart what happens?
If nothing then you need to post the log so we can see what is going on.

Hi, nothing happens.

Thorsten wrote in Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:02 pm:

Has caused the same phenomenon before... If you switch the battery on and the voltmeter doesn't show anything, you have an electric failure for sure.

And where can I check if the failure is on?
I haven't changed anything, but I want to check to be sure.

Also, I will run the sim with the aircraft and then I will look for the log - wich one should I send you ?
Harrisson

Postby wlbragg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Equipment/System Failures/Electrical

It's on the main menu.

The log is located at
C://Users/%username%/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/fgfs.log

I think these are hidden files.

I'd check the failure dialog first.
wlbragg

Postby Harrisson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pm

For the failure: the options I have are like this

And the log:

general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:451:Created multi-app mutex, we are in writeable mode
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:447:CrashRpt enabled
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:474:FlightGear: Version 2017.3.1
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:475:FlightGear: Build Type Release
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:476:Built with Microsoft Visual C++ version 1900
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:478:Jenkins number/ID 223:223
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2888:platform default fg_root = Path "../data"
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:532:Reading global defaults
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:542:Finished Reading global defaults
input:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\globals.cxx:790:Reading user settings from Path "C:/Users/Harrisson/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/autosave_2017_3.xml"
navaid:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Navaids\NavDataCache.cxx:261:NavCache at:Path "C:/Users/Harrisson/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/navdata_2017_3.cache"
navaid:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Navaids\NavDataCache.cxx:264:NavCache read-only flags is:0
navaid:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Navaids\NavDataCache.cxx:1347:NavCache: no main cache rebuild required
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:1220:init package root at:Path "FlightGear/Aircraft"
gui:4::0:libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
gui:4::0:libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
navaid:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Airports\xmlloader.cxx:52:reading groundnet data from Path "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/bin/FlightGear/TerraSync/Airports/L/F/L/LFLC.groundnet.xml"
navaid:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Airports\xmlloader.cxx:62:parsing groundnet XML took 0
input:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2165:aircraft = org.flightgear.fgaddon.dhc6
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:602:Loading aircraft from package:org.flightgear.fgaddon.dhc6
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:213:found aircraft in dir: FlightGear/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/dhc6
aircraft:4:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:373:Aircraft does not specify a minimum FG version: please add one at /sim/minimum-fg-version
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\locale.cxx:83:Detected user locale:fr-FR
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\locale.cxx:237:Reading localized strings for 'en' from Path "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/data/Translations/default/sys.xml"
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\locale.cxx:237:Reading localized strings for 'en' from Path "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/data/Translations/default/atc.xml"
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\locale.cxx:237:Reading localized strings for 'en' from Path "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/data/Translations/default/tips.xml"
general:5:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\locale.cxx:203:System locale not found or no internationalization settings specified in defaults.xml. Using default (en).
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:aircraft = org.flightgear.fgaddon.dhc6
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:airport = LFLC
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:parkpos = Gate_S_13
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:disable-auto-coordination =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:enable-terrasync =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:enable-fullscreen =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:disable-rembrandt =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/skydome=true
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:timeofday = morning
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:season = summer
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:disable-real-weather-fetch =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:metar = XXXX 012345Z 15003KT 19SM FEW072 FEW350 25/07 Q1028 NOSIG
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497: option:launcher =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2522:Using default download dir: Path "FlightGear"
general:4:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\globals.cxx:390:read-allowed path not found:Path "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/bin/FlightGear/AI"
general:4:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\globals.cxx:390:read-allowed path not found:Path "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/bin/FlightGear/Liveries"
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2547:Using TerraSync dir: Path "FlightGear/TerraSync"
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:556:EmbeddedResourceManager: selected locale 'fr-FR'
opengl:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Viewer\fg_os_osgviewer.cxx:377:Using stock OSG implementation of GraphicsWindow
astro:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\scene\sky\cloud.cxx:343:initializing cloud layers
general:4:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:575:Enabling ATI/AMD viewport hack
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:735:Configuration State
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:736:======= ==============
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:738:aircraft-dir = "FlightGear/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/dhc6"
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:739:fghome-dir = "Path "C:/Users/Harrisson/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org""
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:740:download-dir = "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/bin/FlightGear"
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:741:terrasync-dir = "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/bin/FlightGear/TerraSync"
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:743:aircraft-search-paths =
FlightGear/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:744:scenery-search-paths =
D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/bin/FlightGear/TerraSync
D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/data/Scenery
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\GUI\gui.cxx:121:NVIDIA Corporation
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\GUI\gui.cxx:124:GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\GUI\gui.cxx:127:4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.13
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\GUI\gui.cxx:137:4.60 NVIDIA
view:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Viewer\splash.cxx:678:Splash screen progress loading-aircraft-list
terrasync:5:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\simgear\simgear\scene\tsync\terrasync.cxx:446:Starting automatic scenery download/synchronization to 'D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/bin/FlightGear/TerraSync'.
view:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Viewer\splash.cxx:678:Splash screen progress loading-nav-dat
view:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Viewer\splash.cxx:678:Splash screen progress init-scenery
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:701:General Initialization
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:702:======= ==============
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:711:FG_ROOT = "Path "D:/Programmes/FlightGear 2017.3.1/data""

There are more in the log but the message will be so big I cannot post it.
Harrisson

Postby dg-505 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Seems that something is maybe wrong with the electrical system for some reason.

Can you do the following:
In the In-sim menu (hit F10 if it's not visible) go to "Debug"-->"Browse Internal Properties"
Then scroll down and navigate to "systems"-->"electrical"
Make a screenshot of the dialog window and post it here.

Maybe this gives us some useful information

Have a nice day
Joanthan
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505

Postby Harrisson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi! The screenshot is here:

Seeing it, something seem really wrong...
Last edited by Harrisson on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrisson

Postby bugman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Quick question, where did you get your aircraft from?

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Harrisson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:13 pm

bugman wrote in Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pm:Quick question, where did you get your aircraft from?

Regards,
Edward

Hi Edward, when opening FlightGear, there is a window to modify the settings and to select the aircrafts, then there is an option to add one hangar (FlightGear aircraft distribution from fgaddon) and then I downloaded from there.
Harrisson

Next

Return to Flying