Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Manual Scenery Downloads  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Manual Scenery Downloads

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Since there seems to be no solution yet in a previous post titled "Download Scenery Automatically" I decided to use "Add-ons / Install Downloaded Scenery" which takes you to the world graphical interface where you can download scenery in .ZIP files, After downloading the .ZIP file I went back to Flightgear and clicked the Next button to install the scenery file but the dialog box would not open .ZIP files, it wanted a .TAR, .GZ or .TGZ file to install. Seems like there is a problem here to fix?

As a solution I have been extracting the .ZIP files and manually copying the contents of the Objects and Terrain folders to the appropriate Flightgear folders. Just wondering if my solution is a correct procedure? (doing this everything seems to work fine)
Ron Swerdfeger

Re: Manual Scenery Downloads

Postby wlbragg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes, as long as you have them in a folder and FlightGear is pointed at it and can see it, you should be good to go.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 am

wlbragg wrote in Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:28 pm:Yes, as long as you have them in a folder and FlightGear is pointed at it and can see it, you should be good to go.

Thanks for the helpful advice!
Ron
Ron Swerdfeger

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Ron Swerdfeger wrote in Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:43 pm:I decided to use "Add-ons / Install Downloaded Scenery" which takes you to the world graphical interface where you can download scenery in .ZIP files, After downloading the .ZIP file I went back to Flightgear and clicked the Next button to install the scenery file but the dialog box would not open .ZIP files, it wanted a .TAR, .GZ or .TGZ file to install. [u]Seems like there is a problem here to fix?

I only came across this issue because I was having trouble with automatic scenery downloads (which btw is now resolved...a defective router)

Just wanted to add that hopefully this could be added as a fix on the next release.

Ron
Ron Swerdfeger

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am

I believe James fixed it already on next.
Thorsten

Return to Flying