Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Download Scenery Automatically  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Download Scenery Automatically

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 pm

On the last 2 versions of Flightgear ver. 2017.3.1 and 2017.2.1 when I enter a new airport scenery does not download automatically, I end up in the water even though I have "download scenery automatically" checked in "Setting". I have been downloading the scenery manually but is there a way to get "download scenery automatically" to work?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Swerdfeger

Re: Download Scenery Automatically

Postby Alant » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:21 pm

In my experience it does download, but not always quick enough to be available when the simulator starts.

Leave the simulator running until the scenery download log says that the download is complete (this can be 15 minutes here), and then start FG again.

I do not use the terrasync method as I find the 15 minute delay unacceptable, so have downloaded (and updated)the scenery that I need.using the terrasync.py script. Terragear will do the same.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Clive2670 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 pm

I always use Terramaster from Portreekid I find it works well, but you have to download tiles before flying here is the web address: https://github.com/Portree-Kid/terramaster
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for all the advice, but still curious why "download scenery automatically" will not work, there is no indication or progress indicator of downloading scenery no matter how long I wait in the water at a new airport. It used to work several versions ago before the new startup menu interface.......trying to get it to work for a person that loves to fly but is not familiar enough with computers to download manually or use the other utilities.

Thanks again for your assistance!
Ron
Ron Swerdfeger

Postby Alant » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm

The download progress is available from the menu.
File --> Scenery Download.
To ebnable automatic download check that the Automatic Scenery Download box is checked. Select Apply if you make any changes.
To see the progress select the Information or Log boxes.

Alan
Alant

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice, but still curious why "download scenery automatically" will not work, there is no indication or progress indicator of downloading scenery no matter how long I wait in the water at a new airport.

Probably the log file might give a clue. It may be that the connection is simply blocked by something just as well.. Hard to tell without details.
Thorsten

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Ron, it's easy just click my link for terramaster, when portreekids page comes up just click the left box on "Terramaster" this will open a new page then click on the green box, then click on "download zip" when downloaded click on the file this will unzip the file. When it opens, left click and drag the "terramaster.jar" file to your desktop (this will make it easier to find the executable file next time) You should have java already on your pc so shouldn't need to download any other files or apps. Create a new folder on your desktop and rename it (something like terramaster scenery) Now double click (left) on the .jar file you moved to the desktop.......wait up to a minute then you will see a (semi flat) world appear You can change this to a sphere if you want, Then click on the gear icon at the top this will open another box where you do the settings for terramaster. In "scenery path" point terramaster to the folder you created on your desktop, then below that box use the arrow in the dropdown box of the scenery source and click on HTTP, tick terrain, objects and buildings in the "sync" area lastly log level finest. Now you can download the tiles you want Click on syncronise shared models button, Click on as many or as few as you need or require, these will show up blue, one awaiting download will be yellow, and those done and complete will be green. when all green that you want, these are now permanently downloaded to your PC. Now start flightgear and in the qtlauncher click the addons tab and in there point flightgear to YOUR folder on your desktop with the scenery in it, But remember if the tiles you need for the Country you start in and the Country you land in are not downloaded you will either start "in water" or come into land "on water" Also you can now uncheck the terrasync box in the qtlauncher if you wish as once you have the scenery there is no need to download it again!!! Feel free to ask anything else and myself (or plenty of other members) will be pleased to help!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Just thought guys.....Should we point Ron down the %appdata% route and do a reset on a few things in the hope it might "kickstart" the terrasync into working? Any thoughts?
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm:Probably the log file might give a clue.

yup, it just might...

Thorsten wrote in Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm:It may be that the connection is simply blocked by something just as well.. Hard to tell without details.

there is that, too... we just had someone else who has been trying to get on FG's multiplayer stuff but cannot because their ISP uses port 5000 for their own use and that breaks it for MP use... if there's a firewall or other monitoring mechanism in the path that someone else has control over, there's not much to be done but it is nice to track down the actual source of the problem...

perhaps a traceroute to flightgear.sourceforge.net would provide some information... using the domain name will tell us if DNS is working and resolving to an IP number... then the actual trace should tell us if we're actually making it all the way to the server...

there have been some wide-ranging problems recently... comcast had problems when level3 was absorbed by centurylink and they made a few config changes... plus OVH is having problems now with their quad-redundant power backup having failed...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Clive2670 wrote in Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:58 pm:Just thought guys.....Should we point Ron down the %appdata% route and do a reset on a few things in the hope it might "kickstart" the terrasync into working? Any thoughts?

no... it is doubtful that clearing that area will do anything for terrasync... granted, the scenery is downloaded into there but clearing %appdata% was a very ugly thermonuclear solution for a simple problem that required only a butter knife to fix...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Alant wrote in Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm:The download progress is available from the menu.
File --> Scenery Download.
To ebnable automatic download check that the Automatic Scenery Download box is checked. Select Apply if you make any changes.
To see the progress select the Information or Log boxes.

Alan

Checked this out and File --> Scenery Download was enabled, the Information button says,
KBytes downloaded: 0.

The Log button says,
Starting automatic scenery download/synchronization to: C:/ Users/daddy/Documents/Flightgear/TerraS...
Warning no DNS entry found for 'terrasync.flightgear.org' 'ws20',
Can't find Terrasync server. TS disabled.

Hope this helps troubleshooting the problem.

Ron
Ron Swerdfeger

Postby bugman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Where are you getting your DNS info from? That is an old message for a DNS issue fixed a long time ago. Do you have a DNS server or cache that needs flushing?

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 pm

bugman wrote in Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:49 pm:Where are you getting your DNS info from? That is an old message for a DNS issue fixed a long time ago. Do you have a DNS server or cache that needs flushing?

Regards,
Edward

I use a very reputable Internet Service Provider and just preformed a dns flush but problem still exists:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig/flushdns
Windows IP Configuration
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
Ron Swerdfeger

Postby Alant » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:22 am

Firewall - is Flightgear blocked?
Alant

Postby Ron Swerdfeger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 am

Alant wrote in Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:22 am:Firewall - is Flightgear blocked?

No blocks by firewall or internet security software.
Ron Swerdfeger

Next

Return to Flying