Board index FlightGear Support Flying

FG best developed airliner

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: FG best developed airliner

Postby Octal450 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:06 pm

OK @Thorsten, then I am mistaken.
I understand how this works but I guess you can't believed everything you hear. Thanks for clearing that up.

The IDG version is not in FGAddon yet, but will be one day.

Rename to just A320Family

Beware its very complex!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:17 pm

camileck wrote in Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:05 pm:My point is what are the criteria of selection of airctafts available from Launcher (FGAddon) so that sometimes more advanced (better developed) aircrafts are not the default ones? (ofc apart of those with license conflict)

that's easy... the criteria is that someone has done the work to enhance the craft and then done what is necessary to either gain access to FGAddon so their updates can be applied OR they have found someone who has access to FGAddon and is willing to look over their work and commit it to FGAddon for them...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:15 pm

My point is what are the criteria of selection of airctafts available from Launcher (FGAddon) so that sometimes more advanced (better developed) aircrafts are not the default ones?

Assuming we talk indeed about variants of FGAddon aircraft:

The innocent reason - an aircraft is in development and not ready yet and hence kept on an external repository.

The less innocent reason - the person who has done additional development doesn't believe in team work within the FG project and decided not to collaborate with the original author/maintainer or decided not to comply with project standards and hence keeps development on his 'own' repository. While still GPL, FG usually respects the attitude of the developer and merges additional development only with the consent of the developer.

Assuming we talk about genuinely new developments:

People hold the copyright on those and may license them in any way they want - generally the project also respects this even if the license is GPL.

Since usually (rarely) developments are rejected on FGAddon either because they're technically dangerous (override user settings, interfere with the environment simulation,...) or violate copyright (contain commercially licensed material,...), in the vast majority of cases better developed aircraft are not on FGAddon because the author of the additional development never asked for it to happen and we didn't force it against his intentions.
Thorsten

Postby Bulldog 1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Necolatis wrote in Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:47 pm:When you have unzipped it, you must remove the '-master' part of the folder name.

Ok, now i enter the game but immediately it crash. Is there something i can do?

PD: All I could see looks nice, you and iT0uchpod maked a great job ;)
It's not the plane, it's the pilot
Bulldog 1

Postby camileck » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:38 pm

@Thorsten, @wkitty42, thank you so much, your answers clarify all the doubts and questions I had! :)

@Thorsten, if you felt offended or attacked in any way reading my post (you have not said anything about it yet), once again I would like to say I am very sorry, this was not my intention, it was rather continuation of discussion from my side.

FG does not stop to amaze me. Till now, my only contact with aviation were several airline flights every year, though, I was always interested about aircraft I am going to be passenger of, its performance etc. Then, by accident I found FlightGear in Ubuntu Store (open source and GPL ftw!), started reading about it, downloaded 2017.2.1 and now I spend every minute of my spare time reading about aviation, navigation, procedures, flight physics or mastering C172P :)
camileck

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 pm

Thorsten, if you felt offended or attacked in any way reading my post

No - I usually recognize curiosity when I see it and find it easy to deal with - it's other attitudes I have more problems with. So no worries - I never felt offended.
Thorsten

Postby camileck » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 pm:No - I usually recognize curiosity when I see it and find it easy to deal with - it's other attitudes I have more problems with. So no worries - I never felt offended.

Curiosity - that was key word standing behind all my questions in this topic, great you got it right! Regards!
camileck

Postby camileck » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Doing some research I found B777. Is it also worth to give it a try?
camileck

Postby tikibar » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:28 pm

So far, this thread has concentrated on study-level aircraft, which are in the process of being developed. There are others that, while not to the level of something you could use in flight training, are in very good shape, very flyable, and highly developed. The 777 is one of those. If you look at the MP map, you'll see that it is probably the most popular airliner in the multiplayer world, if that really matters.

Not to toot my own horn, but the airliners listed in my signature below are also in good shape (and you can get all of them directly from the launcher in recent versions of FG). I would say the 757 and the MD-11 are top of the list, with good external models and decent to good cockpit models. The systems for both are pretty advanced. The 767 and 747-8 external models are decent, but I wouldn't call them top-notch. The 767 has virtually the same cockpit as the 757 and the same systems. The 747-8 cockpit is decent with lots of working buttons and switches, and the systems are in good shape.

The 777 and all 4 aircraft I've been working on have YASim FDMs, so they come with the limitations associated with that. But for an aircraft where you'll be spending 95% or more of your time with the autopilot engaged, I consider those limitations less of an issue. If you fly too slow, they'll still fall out of the sky like you'd expect. If you land too fast, you'll go off the other end of the runway. They may not feel exactly like flying a real airliner, but neither does sitting in an office chair controlling it with a mouse.

So, bottom line: depending on what you're looking for, there are a few levels of well-developed airliner available to you. You've got the study-level stuff it0uchpods is working on or the 707 or Tu154b, you've got the armchair-pilot-with-a-dayjob stuff like the 777 or the 757 and 747-8, and you've got the toys, some of which work, and others not so much.
Boeing 747-8 (rename folder to 747-8i)
Boeing 757-200/300 (rename folder to 757-200)
Boeing 767-300/ER (rename folder to 767-300)
tikibar

Callsign: CHT0009

Postby Octal450 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:00 pm

+1 @tikibar
I think your statement summarizes the airliner situation in FlightGear perfectly. Well said!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Previous

Return to Flying