Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Unknown airport?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Unknown airport?

Postby LearningToFly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:38 am

Sorry - this may not be the correct place to post this...

I thought it would be fun to try to fly into my local "airport", so I looked it up - Montargil, Ponte de Sor, Évora, Portugal - and the airport code is LPMO, it says - http://www.gcmap.com/airport/LPMO . However the FlightGear UI doesn't know it, and when I use it on the command line I end up at Boston, US.
All this a little rum seeing as how it's a specific training airport and, likely as not, the one where I will, if I decide to do so, take my flying lessons.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction for creating this airport - hopefully it isn't too difficult a job.
LearningToFly

Callsign: WL1890
Version: Personal

Re: Unknown airport?

Postby eric » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:33 pm

I found an alternative ICAO, LPSO, for this airport here: https://skyvector.com/airport/LPSO/Ponte-De-Sor-Airport

But I don't see that in FlightGear airport data either.
Control tower to a 747: “United 239 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o’clock, three miles, Eastbound.”
United 239: “Approach, I’ve always wanted to say this… I’ve got the little Fokker in sight.”
eric

Callsign: WJT103
Version: 2018.1.1

Re: Unknown airport?

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:11 pm

apparently this airport, LPMO, was not included in the x-plane gateway when flightgear last imported the apt.dat from there and built the current world scenery... i'd be checking on x-plane's site and seeing what they have...

XPLANE: Search Airport Scenery

LPMO doesn't exist over there on the x-plane site but LPSO does and was just added 2017 Feb 01...

digging deeper, LPMO is located off the N2 down in Evora District whereas LPSO is north of there also located off of the N2 near Tramaga... straight line distance is about 15 miles... following the N2 north around the lake and up to LPSO is about 17 miles... i think that big lake is called Albufeira da Barragem de Montargil... at least that's what google maps and google earth are telling me...

either way, one or both have to be in the x-plane gateway so flightgear can get them the next time it updates the apt.dat and builds new world scenery...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying