Board index FlightGear Support Flying

no f14 radar display in 2017.2.1  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: no f14 radar display in 2017.2.1

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 pm

you say they look identical but have you actually compared them to see?

on *nix one would do something like "diff -Naur file1.foo file2.foo"... the differences will be shown as patch lines with a '-' for removed lines and a "+" for added lines...

on winwhatever, one might use comp or similar... it has been a long time since i was on a DOS/winwhatever command line trying to compare files...

one might also use meld to load the files side by side... i'm guessing there's a meld for the various operating systems...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dilbert » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Yes , printed them out and compared line by line.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby dilbert » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Update. Got a false impression that when I first copied from org.flightgear. addon to my personal hangar, that the radar failed when I ran from the hangar.

Copied the installed f14b from org.flightgear.addon to my hangar. Uninstalled from "installed aircraft". Ran unmodified file from my hangar. Radar then worked.

Tried copying the unmodified file from my hangar back to org.flightgear.addon, and deleting from my hangar; but program failed to recognize it.

Apparently, copying the unmodified f14b to a personal hangar, uninstalling it from "addon aircraft", thence running from the personal hangar, somehow circumvents the nasal "bug".

At least, one can run the latest update with working radar; however,it will still require a personal hangar to do so. :)

Best Regards, Dilbert
dilbert

Re: no f14 radar display in 2017.2.1- revised

Postby dilbert » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:37 am

Revision:
$fgfs_0.log shows following failure:
General:4:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main/fg-props.hxx:801: Failed to tie property/sim/menubar/visibility to object methods
followed by:
src\GUI\FGPUIMenuBar:ex:56: Initiating old dialog commands:

however, not sure if this failure relates to problem. :?
dilbert

Postby hans05 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:05 am

I have similar problems. Unfortunately I am totally new to FlightGear so I do not really know how to report problems properly.
I try anyway:

FG version: 16.4.4
F-14 version: Downloaded from the creator the newest version (marked for FG 3.6++)
I have Bombable installed

When I have the aircraft in the org.flightgear.addon --> radar never works, target lock never works
When I copy it to fgdata (and delete it from org.flightgear.addon) --> first start of FG radar works, but after restarting FG not any more working. Now VERY strange: target lock in HUD IS working even if I see nothing on the radar

In my "case" in addition:
* I never see more than 2 SW but it should be 4 (FAD light selected). In the log I get the messages:
nasal:5:/build/flightgear-4YrQJ1/flightgear-2016.4.4+dfsg/src/Scripting/NasalSys.cxx:427:Strange 1 pylons ready, but only counts 0
nasal:5:/build/flightgear-4YrQJ1/flightgear-2016.4.4+dfsg/src/Scripting/NasalSys.cxx:427:Strange 2 pylons ready, but only counts 1
First message after enabling left switch in RIO-view, second messatge after anabling right switch.
* I CAN take off, search a target, lock target and release a missile. BUT I do NOT see any animation of it flying away :-( The SW counter in the HUD decreases to 1 and I even get the message where my missile exploded. But no visual effect, no missile, no smoke trail....nothing like what I can see in the youtube videos from other people.

I started to believe that Bombable might be the culprit but no change after disabling it.

Anybody any ideas?
hans05

Postby Necolatis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:03 am

Strange 1 pylons ready, but only counts 0

Sorry, that is my fault, should only temporary (some milliseconds) affect the pylons though, so it most likely not your issue. And should be fixed in next update from Richard.

About seeing only 4 SW. In the RIO seat as you probably know there are 6 pylon switches on left panel. The aircraft has 8 pylon positions though. The 2 outer switches switch between which store on the outer pylons should be active by flipping them up or down. (middle is safe). That's cause the outer pylon can carry 2 missiles.

The 4 middle switches is 1 for each pylon so they only have 2 positions, safe and armed. Mostly used when you want to fire AIM-54.

You only see 2 SW cause SW stands for Sidewinder AIM-9, and there is only 2 of those in FAD. Sparrow AIM-7 is SP. So try flipping those outer switches the other way and use key 'm' to switch from SW to SP, you should see SP 2.
Phoenix AIM-54 is PH on the F14D, but I think for the F14A/B they might showed up as SP also. You need to use the middle 4 pylon switches to arm those.

Don't know about your radar issue though.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby dilbert » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:34 pm

In my case, the one and only error I'm consistently seeing in fgfs_0 is as follows:
\fg_os-osguviewer.cxx:203:PNG lib warning:iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile.

Don't know if it's material. Get similar type warning flying the OV-10, so if it is a problem, it might be with 2017.2.1, not the aircraft.
dilbert

Postby hans05 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 pm

@Necolatis: I am trying to use "FAD light" and NOT FAD (without the light). In "FAD light" there should be AIM-9 on S0/S1 and S8/S9, so there should be 4 SW in that setting. I just follow what is in the tutorials in youtube and everybody there gets 4 SW, just poor little me gets only 2 SW. So maybe I am the only one having THAT problem and its not related to the radar (then sorry for being off topic!).

Edit:
Ah, but your explanation still got me somewhere: I shoot the 2 SW I get, then I switch to RIO view, turn the two switches to the upper positions and voilà: I get another 2 SW :-)
Just confusing that in the youtube videos they always have 4 SW right away and also slightly annoying to have to switch to RIO after two shots when in a fight.....
But thanks a lot anyway Necolatis :D
hans05

Postby Necolatis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:38 pm

If they get SW 4, their aircraft is probably an old version or something.

slightly annoying to have to switch to RIO after two shots when in a fight

I understand, in the real aircraft you had another person doing that for you. :)
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Thorsten » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:39 am

It's the kind of thing that screams 'key-binding'...
Thorsten

Postby dilbert » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am

I'm totally puzzled:
Used the old F14b (radar working), started at KFSO, then turned to point at an AI aircraft, quit, then checked fgfs_0. Logged 19 lines of code.
Did exact same thing with add-on F14b (radar didn't work) and logged about 300 lines of code. Can anyone tell me what's going on here ? :o
Seems really strange, considering both models are 25.2 MEG.....
dilbert

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:54 am

dilbert wrote in Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am:Seems really strange, considering both models are 25.2 MEG.....

Here is a link to the latest version that might help. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7w23p3ky36990 ... 8.zip?dl=0

To install this remove your current f-14b directory from all aircraft folders that are referenced in your launcher.

Then remove all f14 files from %APPDATA%\flightgear.org\aircraft-data\

Then unzip the archive into your aircraft folder.

Running 2017.2 I have no problems with the radar. However the key bindings have slightly changed in the last year so make sure to read the aircraft help (or use the cockpit switches).
Richard

Version: Git

Postby dilbert » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks Richard. The reason for the code line difference was that the old version was running as f14a. Noted that current F14a also shows only 19 lines in log. However, radar also failed to display in F14A HUD.
Just put add-on F14b back running.
Radar in TWS and running in back seat. Range 5 miles. Lower right panel on AA. Armament switches down. FAD light selected. Get tone and weapon display on screen when master arm switch on. Toggle y/Y. Still get no target and target ID on HUD.
What additional, new key bindings now exist that might affect HUD display? Appreciate the alternate source info for the latest model. I'm temporarily ok running older version from my hangar; however, would like it better if the regular add-on version worked-which is the reason for my posts.
Best Regards
dilbert

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Just looked and the help is wrong; y/Y do not select the next target - it is always the closest target that is selected. Whilst I was implementing this logic it became obvious to me that I really should instead add a better simulation of the fire control computer and allow targets to be designated as per the aircraft.

Do you use shift-M to cycle the armament?

The model I provided is a pre-release version of what will go into FGAddon. I'd appreciate it if you could test with this version - as that way we can get rid of any faults prior to the release to FGAddon.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby dilbert » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Yes, I use M. Here's the odd thing: when I first came up I had SW-2. After I cycled, it stuck on G; and clicking M would no longer change it.

I have since uninstalled the add-on version, and I now have your latest version installed and running from my hangar. Odd thing is that it came up with armament still stuck in "G", which seems like an fgfs problem.

Hot dog-the radar is working perfectly. :D :D

Now if can find out why armament selection is stuck in "G" will be batting 100%

Ah yes. Forgot to delete the flightgear.org f14 files, which explains (fgfs) why HUD was stuck displaying "G"

Restarted after deleting them.

Two outboard armament switches are down (really like the way they're now uncovered).

TWS, 5 miles, AA, FAD lite.

Weapons display now working perfectly. :D

Everything's made for love.

Thanks again for the download and help :!:

Best Regards, Dilbert
dilbert

PreviousNext

Return to Flying