Board index FlightGear Support Flying

I am new, i know nothing. Any help is appreciated!

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: I am new, i know nothing. Any help is appreciated!

Postby V12 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:59 am

I'm working on bug fixes default FGADDON version.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:38 pm

jestepp65 wrote in Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:09 am:How do i use the radio frequency?

F12 will bring up the "radio" tab or click on "equipment" tab then "radio settings" I'm guessing that you are referring to setting up for an ILS approach? If so I can explain how to do this for the 777-*** range but can't say it'll work on any other aircraft as they are all different! The procedure is as follows: Do as above to get your "Radio" settings, Then look for "Nav 1" (the following setting are for a ILS approach into EGKK (Gatwick) 26L Every approach has different frequencies and radials!) in the frquency box (left one) put in 110.90 then click left arrow to move this from the "stand-by" to "active" frequency. Look to the right of the "Nav 1" and you will see another box which is the "radial" box this is the approach heading delete whatever is in that box and replace with 257.61 now all is set. All you have to do is once roughly lined up and about 6 miles out is press the APP button on the top panel below the LOC button and it will follow the glideslope down. Be careful though as there is a "bug" that if the runway you are landing on has the same frequency both ends and you attempt a FULL ILS landing that on touchdown the plane WILL try and do an "about turn" on itself as it picks up the other ILS. No doubt Thorsten will correct me if this bug has now been fixed. Most pilots will just use the ILS to line up with and manual land at allany opportunity! Hope this helps?
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Clive2670 wrote in Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am:When you start at your departure airport click on the LNAV button to turn it on, your plane will now follow the flightplan when you click the autopilot button after you have taken off. ( The autopilot WILL not work until you are in the air above 400ft)

i'm waiting for an autopilot that will actually work like the ones in real life... the pilot/co-pilot set their lat/long and their destination and from there on are really only needed to control the throttles and brakes... at least while on the ground... we had craft in the (60s?)70s/80s that would roll from the gate to the runway and take off all without any human intervention once the AP was enabled... today's craft, with auto-throttle may very well also have auto-brake like many of today's cars have with their cruise control... the only reason they need a human is when the ATC holds them somewhere...

we already have ground nets for the AI craft to follow... a manned craft should also be able to follow them with the human working only the throttles and brakes as needed...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ken horton » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 pm

Hi jestepp65, you just keep asking because I know even less than you and I can hopefully "cadge" some of the answers you receive. I flew Microsoft Simulators for many years but on their later O S's and now the windows 10 updates the simulators work less and less well and most not at all so i finally decided to change over. Flight Gear was a great culture shock, you don't have an easy ride,I may be wrong but there are no quick buttons added in the cockpit so you can engage the ATC, GPS. Map etc , you can't enlarge the instrument dials in order to read them ( I know there is the HUD ) but finally I am now going to have to learn just how to fly a plane like a real pilot and not rely on short cuts and I am dreading the idea !
The RAF term "Sprog pilot " I doubt is used today but this is most certainly my call sign .At 85 I am bound to make a hash of most flights for quite some time, but I have managed to get a 707 off the ground but was completely lost and swanned around looking for an airport and finally switched off in defeat.
ken horton

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:36 am

you can't enlarge the instrument dials in order to read them

You can just zoom the view in though... it's on the mousewheel.

At 85 I am bound to make a hash of most flights for quite some time, but I have managed to get a 707 off the ground but was completely lost and swanned around looking for an airport and finally switched off in defeat.

Maybe start with a nice and slow GA aircraft, master VFR flight and then augment it by tuning into navaids - and only once you have an understanding of how that works, go for instrument navigation.

If you lose track of where you are in a fast aircraft for just five minutes, you could be anywhere already.
Thorsten

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:56 pm

ken horton wrote in Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 pm:At 85 I am bound to make a hash of most flights for quite some time, but I have managed to get a 707 off the ground but was completely lost and swanned around looking for an airport and finally switched off in defeat.

Hey Ken 85 should be no barrier to success!!! I'm " A kid" at onlt 47! but rest assured even with over 2150 hours now in the 777, I still make a "pigs ear" of landings! ( Not too often thankfully, and mostly they are just slightly off the centre line or forgetting to use thrust reverse etc) I think if you ask even commercial pilots that fly everyday, they would be self critical of almost every landing they do, As I think any pilot , simulator or real, always strives to make "The perfect landing" everytime! Even the autoland feature on the 777 makes a right mess of it, See my video of a autoland at LSGG (Geneva) as proof that even autopilot makes a mess of landing, Here, https://youtu.be/Tx2ls0a_sAM
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:58 am

Even the autoland feature on the 777 makes a right mess of it, See my video of a autoland at LSGG (Geneva) as proof that even autopilot makes a mess of landing

I'm not sure about real autopilots, but a human pilot is usually much better at flying than most of the simulated autopilots. It's lots of work to code an even halfway capable AP.
Thorsten

Postby eric » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Clive2670 wrote in Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am:I have over 1800 hours flying the 777.

Is there a way through FlightGear to see how many hours you have on a particular plane (or overall), or do you have to keep track of it yourself?
Control tower to a 747: “United 239 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o’clock, three miles, Eastbound.”
United 239: “Approach, I’ve always wanted to say this… I’ve got the little Fokker in sight.”
eric

Callsign: WJT103
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby Johan G » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm

eric wrote in Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm:Is there a way through FlightGear to see how many hours you have on a particular plane (or overall) [...]

Not offline.

In theory it should be possible to implement something in Nasal that help keep track of it. IIRC some aircraft have working hobbs meters. Might not work if FlightGear crashes though...
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:07 am

eric wrote in Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm:Is there a way through FlightGear to see how many hours you have on a particular plane

some craft have a hobbs meter... it is saved in the aircraft-data directory in each craft's specific xml settings file... for overall, you can parse the xml files and add the hobbs meter values together... i'm not sure if the value is the number of seconds or what but AFAIK they're all the same unit of time...

the c172p has its stored in the <time><hobbs></hobbs></time> block... it has at least two entries, one for each engine that the c172p can has modeled...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby eric » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:31 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:07 am:the c172p has its stored in the <time><hobbs></hobbs></time> block...

Thanks. I found it for the c172p but I didn't see it in any of the other aircraft.
Control tower to a 747: “United 239 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o’clock, three miles, Eastbound.”
United 239: “Approach, I’ve always wanted to say this… I’ve got the little Fokker in sight.”
eric

Callsign: WJT103
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:33 pm

eric wrote in Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm:
Clive2670 wrote in Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am:I have over 1800 hours flying the 777.

Is there a way through FlightGear to see how many hours you have on a particular plane (or overall), or do you have to keep track of it yourself?

Yes eric there is I use flightgear tracker & planner https://fgtracker.ml/modules/fgtracker/ If you register your "callsign" then in multiplayer use this callsign only it will track all of your flights including departure / arrival airports, with the individual flight times for each flight, and log your "total flight time" and "effective flight time" (Effective is the actual hours flown, not standing at the gate idling) It will show up how many hours you have flown in each aircraft as well. Hope this answers your question(s)
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:58 am:
Even the autoland feature on the 777 makes a right mess of it, See my video of a autoland at LSGG (Geneva) as proof that even autopilot makes a mess of landing

I'm not sure about real autopilots, but a human pilot is usually much better at flying than most of the simulated autopilots. It's lots of work to code an even halfway capable AP.

Hi Thorsten, I never normally use autoland anyway, just thought I would do a quick video for Youtube to show the autoland option on the 777, I prefer to land myself, as I like to try and make the perfect landing if I can (most times anyway) But thanks for your comment
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby daweed » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 pm

That should be wonderfull, if we could update fg addon... but that's no possible, only fix submission can be send ... and no one know when update is done... that's probably why each time for each project new version repo appear. When someone made a fix, or an improovement on a scenery, on an aircraft, they want to share with evryone,

How could it be done immediatly without a new repo space as few people have update right on fg addon ?
This is not an attack, just a fact, i know and i am aware why using this way of update ... but that probably the reason why versions and deposits grow like mushrooms
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:27 pm

How could it be done immediatly without a new repo space as few people have update right on fg addon ?

If you think about it for ten minutes, you can figure out plenty of good reasons why it should *not* be done immediately and why submitting to FGAddon rather than commit rights for everyone make a lot of sense.

Let me give you a start with this:

1) Development beginners usually aren't licensing experts. Someone who does have a firm grasp of copyright and licensing needs to look over any new content and verify that it is legal to commit - otherwise the repository will be little more than a stash of pirated content a few years from now.

No joke - the temptation to 'just' use this sound file from the commercial sim or 'just' the picture from the website of the instrument manufacturer is always there. People need to demonstrate they understand that this is a no-go before accessing the repository.

2) Fixes aren't necessarily real fixes - especially those by beginning developers have a tendency to just hide issues - some extra pair of eyes from someone who understands FG internals and gives feedback aren't a bad thing here.

3) Development among different people relating to the same aircraft (project) should be co-operative and not competitive. So it makes basic sense that submitted patches go through the responsible maintainer and are not just applied by everyone.

I trust you can come up with a few reasons more if you sit down and put yourself into the position of having someone else screw with your work...

but that's no possible, only fix submission can be send ... and no one know when update is done...

Riiight...

In reality I somehow don't see all these dozens of messages 'I'm trying to reach the maintainer of XY' from people who try to submit to FGAddon but for some reason can't. I do see lots of people who never try, rather create their own repository and go around telling that one can't get things committed to FGAddon.

So that's basically a myth - in the last year, people who wanted to maintain an aircraft on FGAddon and have really tried to go through the maintainer have either been granted commit access pretty soon or have found someone reviewing their contributions pretty soon.

Of course, if you don't like hearing 'you can't use this texture because it's copyrighted, please replace it' or 'you need to re-structure this code like this', a repository separate from FGAddon is the best choice for everyone - because some kind of contributions the project really does not need.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Flying