Board index FlightGear Support Flying

(SOLVED) C172P keeps flying up, then falling down, repeat

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

(SOLVED) C172P keeps flying up, then falling down, repeat

Postby nulln » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 am

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running? Ubuntu 16.10
- what FlightGear version do you use? The latest from the default APT repositories on Ubuntu
- what graphics card do you have? Intel HD Graphics, I believe. (Thinkpad X230)
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport? No. Just the C172P.
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from? This plane came with FlightGear.

To elaborate, while flying the C172P, the plane keeps "swerving" up, on a really steep angle, then sinking down, again at a really steep angle, and repeating that process.

This happens regardless of throttle or flap settings (So yes, having the wind flaps completely up, down, or somewhere in the middle, causes this problem for me).
How do I fix this? Am I flying it wrong? I use Autostart, take off at full throttle, decrease throttle to around 80%, and (try to) cruise.

Fixed by using mouse for elevator (the thing that makes you pull up & push down, for newbies who've stumbled across this thread, having the same problem). Press tab until it says something along the lines of "mouse flight controls, press tab to change", then move the mouse up & down.
Last edited by nulln on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
nulln

Callsign: N323DD
Version: 2017.1.3

Re: Cessna C172P keeps flying up, then falling down, and rep

Postby Parnikkapore » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 am

Tip: The FlightGear in the Ubuntu repository is the one-year-old 3.4 version. use the PPA.

A video showing your mouse cursor would help... I assume you're overcontrolling. Try pulling on the mouse dead slow when the speed hits 55...
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Re: Cessna C172P keeps flying up, then falling down, and rep

Postby nulln » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:38 am

Parnikkapore wrote in Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 am:Tip: The FlightGear in the Ubuntu repository is the one-year-old 3.4 version. use the PPA.

A video showing your mouse cursor would help... I assume you're overcontrolling. Try pulling on the mouse dead slow when the speed hits 55...

I installed the PPA and tried to apt-get upgrade flightgear, turned out I already had the latest! I think I used the install guide from the site, but my memory is a bit bad.

As for the mouse thing, I was actually using a Logitech racing wheel and had the elevator mapped to d-pad up & down... Using the mouse fixed it as it didn't go fully up or fully down like the d-pad control was. Thank you!
nulln

Callsign: N323DD
Version: 2017.1.3

Return to Flying