Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Boeing 777 (Manual Startup)

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Boeing 777 (Manual Startup)

Postby AVA117 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:36 pm

About this issue the Boeing 777 seems to have errors during Manual Startup. For example I spooled up Engine #2 after powering up the strobe lights and other lights? too seems to come on and you are not suppose to turn it on unless you are going to takeoff, And also one more thing can't I power the hydraulics without turning on the engine? Because I'm pretty sure in real life you are not allowed to turn on your engines while at the terminal itself (hence why we have pushback) but I can't really turn without turning the engines on.

Sorry just love realism so much lol, But I do thank everyone who improved the Boeing 777 over the years.

EDIT:

The hydraulics problem has been solved with a simple modification with the Hydraulics.nas file of the Boeing 777.
To install it just go to your aircraft directory > Boeing 777 > Nasal then paste the file there overwrite the old Hydraulics.nas file.
I'm using FlightGear 2017.1.2 (Will be upgrading to 2017.1.3 tomorrow)
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1gb2gg3kiakl ... s.nas?dl=0 (Credits to: BEL ISAAK)
All thanks to BEL ISAAK
Last edited by AVA117 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AVA117

Callsign: AS2002 AVA117 SPA695
IRC name: N/A
Version: Latest

Re: Boeing 777 (Manual Startup)

Postby CaptB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:04 pm

You technically can turn on the lights at any moment provided there is electrical power provided at least by the battery.

You would turn on the nav lights when starting the cockpit prep, then the beacon prior to engine start and then taxi lights for taxi. Normally you would not turn on the strobes and takeoff lights until you are ready to lineup the runway.

At some airports it is allowed to turn on the engine at the gate, it depends on local regulations and sometimes aircraft type(turboprops), as to hydraulic power, this is provided by the APU, electrical pumps(PTU or engines) and also in emergencies a RAT.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby AVA117 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:35 am

That's weird even if I turn on the APU , Electrical Pumps the hydraulics still displays "Fault" on their respective knobs. (Even if I try to test control nothing responds) I really have to turn on the engines, Speaking of turning it on some lights (especially the strobe lights) turns on by itself.
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the entire preceding post; it is just above yours
AVA117

Postby CaptB » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:16 am

Thy Primary Hydraulic Pumps do not have an auto state and will not turn on automatically when the engine is started. You should have three of your Electric Demand Pumps set to OFF and one to AUTO to start, then after engine start you turn on all the hydraulics manually. The strobe lights I have not yet confirmed but to tell you the truth I am not that familiar with real life B777, so I can't comment on how that works/should work until I read some FCOM.
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby Isaak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi, I 'm looking into the 777's hydraulic systems at the moment. I already made a small change locally to turn on steering when the pushback is connected, but I 'd like to do it better and provide hydraulic power when the APU is running, but only for the systems that in reality are available on APU power only. I've already been in contact with Hyde (main active developer of the 777 at the moment) about this, but it 's some months ago since I heard from him.

Regarding the lights: as I recall it right only the strobe lights are switched on after an/the engine(s) has started. I don't know if this happens in reality, I 'll take a look into it and check if I 'm able to correct it.

I have no commit rights to the 777 though, so I 'm not able to push any changes yet. I 've gone through Hyde in the past.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby AVA117 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:05 am

I see, Thank you for looking in to my case! :)
AVA117

Postby Isaak » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 am

Regarding the steering issue: I have made some adjustments to the hydraulics.nas file to make it available as in reality: when using the APU or ground power and enabling the central hydraulics system, nose and main gear steering, alternate flaps operation, flight controls (elevator, aileron and rudder) and alternate (= manual) braking will be available. Normal brakes (incl autobrakes) will only be available when the right hydraulics system is functioning (=> when engine 2 is running); the thrust reversers will only be available when the hydraulics system of the corresponding engine is functioning. You can download the modified hydraulics.nas file here. Place it in the nasal folder inside your 777 folder. I 'll get in touch with Hyde to ask him to commit my modifications to the official repo. If you want to test it: connect and enable one or both ground power unit(s) or the APU and enable C1 and/or C2 ELEC switch.

For your information: This website contains a lot of interesting information regarding the 777's systems and operation.

I haven't yet looked into the strobe lights auto-operation, will get in touch with you later.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby AVA117 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:36 am

Thank you so much! :) Will do.
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AVA117

Postby AVA117 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Hey thank you so much for uploading your modified .nas file! It worked as said now I'm able to pushback and align with the taxiway without having to power my engines.

Boeing 777 devs should look this up :)
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote that entire post; it is just one post above yours
AVA117

Return to Flying