Board index FlightGear Support Flying

How to remove aircrafts from the Qt launcher aircraft list?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: How to remove aircrafts from the Qt launcher aircraft li

Postby VicMar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:26 am

He is the man most likely to make a change like this. He along with some other developers is the reason why FlightGear is so good.
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.2.1

Postby gkick » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:09 am

Wow,Wow,Wow, lots of posts but does the originator have an answer? No instead lots of do this or that or why do you want this? Thats not helpful chaps. I would suggest if you do not have an answer do not respond and do not ask why the person wants this. And I agree fullheartetly QT Launcher is not userfriendly, FGRUN was to an extent and really commandline is for freaks, gurus, nerds but not the average user who expects a decent GUI which FGRUN was within limitations. QT Launcher is just one big mess, in fact I have never seen a crappier interface before. So the next question of course is how do you remove airports from that clutter and why isnt the stuff sorted in alphabetical order, tsk tsk
gkick

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:06 am

Wow,Wow,Wow, lots of posts but does the originator have an answer?

Yes they do, currently, what they want isn't available.

No instead lots of do this or that or why do you want this? Thats not helpful chaps. I would suggest if you do not have an answer do not respond and do not ask why the person wants this.

It might be helpful to find out more about what the user is looking for any why. Maybe with more background info someone might be able to suggest alternatives that fit as a solution.

And I agree fullheartetly QT Launcher is not userfriendly,

I disagree, I find the QT launcher every bit as useful and user friendly as any other launcher.

QT Launcher is just one big mess, in fact I have never seen a crappier interface before.

Someone worked hard on this FREE GUI for you and others to use. I don't think it is "messy" at all. It works really well on my setup. Maybe your not using it correctly.
Instead of being rude and dissing on the free work product of a valued contributer to the FlighGear project you should instead provide a polite critique of what you would like to see and what doesn't work well for you. Or even better dive in and show us how it should be done seems how you seem to know better.

So the next question of course is how do you remove airports from that clutter and why isnt the stuff sorted in alphabetical order, tsk tsk

At this point, even if there was a way and I knew what it was, I really don't think you deserve a helpful response, tsk, tsk!
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby gkick » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:26 am

Ok, suppose if you only know vanilla, Qt Launcher is fine and your setup is not of relevance to the original question. Nonetheless there was no critique, only an opinion obviously not meeting yours. And obviously you are completely unaware of other discussions taking place of the usefulness of QT Launcher and the benefits FGRun had to offer or alternatives which by the way were and are developed free just as this funny dialog box you love so much, may be if you really want to be helpful, put a sort button on it, so I do not really understand your problem.
gkick

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:57 am

You gave your opinion, I felt it necessary to provide mine.

I've been following and working on this project for years, I have a better than average feel about contributors, the product and its development.

so I do not really understand your problem.

My entire problem is with your attitude, specifically...
QT Launcher is just one big mess, in fact I have never seen a crappier interface before.

It's just rude. If you don't understand that then there is nothing more to say here.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:35 am

Wow,Wow,Wow, lots of posts but does the originator have an answer?

Yes, the answer is that such a feature doesn't make too much sense. That's an answer with which I happen to agree.

No instead lots of do this or that or why do you want this? Thats not helpful chaps. I would suggest if you do not have an answer do not respond and do not ask why the person wants this

This isn't a service hotline where people are paid customers expecting results. This is an opportunity to get tips and tricks from other users or to politely give feedback to the developers.

It in fact makes a lot of sense to ask why someone wants X or Y, because it usually is the case that X or Y can be accomplished in a different way that may be easier.

Or, to put it in another way - it makes more sense to identify the underlying problems and solve them than to go through lists of potentially conflicting feature requests. Understanding what exactly people want to accomplish is a step towards this goal.

I would suggest if you want to be a hotline customer, you buy a commercial sim and go to their helpdesk.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 pm

one of the main core team members writing code, these days... he brought us the new launcher for one... you may know him as zakalaw ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Zequinha wrote in Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 pm:Who is James?

This sums up everything fairly well: https://www.openhub.net/p/flightgear/co ... 7118748530

All-time Commits: 2307
12-Month Commits: 301
30-Day Commits: 0
Overall Kudo Rank: KudoRank 8
First Commit: 23-Dec-2008
Last Commit: 05-Mar-2017

Note that Curt is the only one to ever exceed James' degree of activity: https://www.openhub.net/p/flightgear/co ... rt=commits

And that Erik is the only remaining active core developer to approach the degree of recent activity: https://www.openhub.net/p/flightgear/co ... est_commit

Thus, it is basically correct that James is the one primarily shaping the project these days (de facto, he is leading the project given his activity and the hats he is wearing/roles filling) - for better or worse obviously, given his degree of activity it goes without saying that a certain degree of regressions/breakage is to be expected.

But no matter if people agree or disagree with him, or if they appreciate everything he is doing, he's helped enormously improve the project, not just in terms of single features or subsystems but on an architectural scale, and particularly from an infrastructure standpoint (think cmake build system and build server adoption, superbuild etc).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby gkick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:50 am

Lots of words, lots of emotions but as usual no real answer, do a survey FGRun vsFGrun, very simple really, if I am wrong no problem, whats your take and really one person does not make the project
GK
gkick

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 am

do a survey FGRun vsFGrun, very simple really, if I am wrong no problem, whats your take and really one person does not make the project

Yes, it's very simple - different people have different opinion about the usefulness of some features and good design. You're confusing your personal opinion with a general truth (which it isn't, there was a forum survey on the topic and we do know the numbers).

Which is why...

really one person does not make the project

You're so right - one person does make the Qt launcher, which however is fully optional (and underneath just a fancy way to assemble a commandline).

You're free to use any other launcher you prefer (there's FGRun, FFGo and a couple of others, less fancy ones). You're even free to code your own launcher if you don't like any of the handful that are around. Or to maintain and develop FGRun.

You're just not free to complain that the service doesn't meet your expectations.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Without claiming to be complete, the following list of existing launchers is taken from the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/The_FlightGe ... _Situation

Fgrun
KFreeFlight
MacFlightGear
FGTools
JFlightWizard [2]
fgkicker
FGWalk [3]
FGo!
FFGo
FG Flier
FGStartup
FGX
Yaflight
Temporary Yosemite Launcher
Integrated Qt5 launcher for Mac
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Previous

Return to Flying