Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Altimeter Calibration

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Altimeter Calibration

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:43 am

More resorting to name-calling....

It never really solves anything though - it just indicates that you've realized you're wrong, but you can't admit it, so a front has to be opened.
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:54 am

Wrong about what I asked a specific question and you took it off at a tangent. As for name calling, and your link wasn't. Why don't you just stop.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:40 pm

Wrong about what I asked a specific question and you took it off at a tangent.

It's called 'explaining some context'. It's a polite thing to do when you realize the original specific question is based on fundamentally flawed assumptions. Usually 'Doesn't work that way' without any context is not perceived as a sufficient answer by people.

As for name calling, and your link wasn't.

No, it actually was not. It's called 'explaining some context' :D There's nothing impolite about the link or its content - it explains the phenomenology and supposed background of some behavior found in the internet.

Why don't you just stop.

Largely because I don't see a reason to. It's in fact quite easy to make me stop - just admit that you've misquoted me a couple of times, apologize for the name-calling and we're done :D Nothing special - just a tad of common decency will do (note - I didn't even include 'Thanks for the answer' into the list).
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:04 pm

A number of posts were split off to the new topic Glider instead of IDG PA28.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby david.megginson » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:22 pm

If the altimeter is correctly set up, it should show field elevation ± 75 ft (though such a big error is rare) when set to the reported altimeter setting for the field.

So if the METAR reports A2992 AND the pressure hasn't changed since the report And the field elevation is 725 ft MSL AND the altimeter is set to 29.92 in Kollsman window, the altimeter should read between 650 ft and 800 ft to be legal for flying in controlled airspace — realistically, it will usually be ± 25 ft, so it will read between 700 ft and 750 ft.
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him
Version: next

Previous

Return to Flying