Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Altimeter Calibration

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Altimeter Calibration

Postby GinGin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Pressure setting is only on altimeter.
But from GPS, you can use the GPS altitude and put the same altitude in your altimeter to have a rough idea of a good local QNH .
Or you take the QNH from a METAR airfield no far from where you are flying
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Sorry don't understand 'you use the dialog' . The GPS under Equipment tab doesn't have pressure setting.

Well, obviously if you'd like to set the altimeter, you'd use the altimeter dialog rather than the GPS dialog to do so. And I assure you the altimeter dialog has pressure settings.
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:58 pm

I am sorry if this sounds rude but am I talking at cross purposes. Thorston, I know what the term dialogue means but not in the context your using it. I know there is an altitude dialogue or more accurately a numeric box. As I said these planes don't have a 'dialogue box which was the point of my question.

GinGin as I have said, I know how to do it if there is a pressure setting feature on the particular altimeter but in the two planes there is the button to set it but no function.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:26 am

sounds like they may not be fully modeled...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:19 am

As I said these planes don't have a 'dialogue box which was the point of my question.

Well, I actually corrected your misspelling of Lionceau, looked at the altimeter of both planes in-sim and tested the dialog whether there's anything disabled, and the version on FGAddon has an altimeter without a QNH window, but the standard 'Instrument Settings' dialog allows me to set QNH and that affects the altimeter of both planes correctly.

So you're quite wrong in the claim - they can be operated just fine.

If you can't set QNH via the dialog, you likely have some alternative version of these planes - in that case you need to contact the author for further support, I can only look at the FGAddon version.
Thorsten

Postby tdammers » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:55 am

Robertfm wrote in Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:47 pm:Well I am currently flying the Lioneau and have checked the knob actually moves the big needle in either direction. I am sure the Piper is the same. As for converting this is done with a chart which actually shows pressure in various ways its called SensorsOne Altitude to Pressure Conversion table. As for the rest of your post, I know when to change pressures, according to Real Life Training material it's once every 100nm or so, Ie New ATIS. I use the Live weather meta data which shows changes regularly on FG. I concede the real planes may have the calibrations but we are talking this Sim.

OK, just checked the PA28 from IDG (which is what I'd recommend you use, it's pretty damn good).

Here's what the altimeter looks like close up:

As you can see, there's a little window inside the altimeter, on the right hand side, showing the current QNH setting (which is the standard 29.92 in this screenshot).

In this screenshot, I have adjusted the QNH to match the airfield elevation (which happens to be approximately 0), and the little QNH scale correctly changes to 30.45, which happens to match the local QNH.

You can also see the QNH popup that appears when you hover over the QNH knob.

Obviously, even at 1080p, the QNH scale is impossible to read in a full-cockpit view, but the popup still works fine:

tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Which version is this plane. The one I use is from the main sim list. As for viewing it I have zoom set to a button so that isn't the issue.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:19 am:
As I said these planes don't have a 'dialogue box which was the point of my question.

Well, I actually corrected your misspelling of Lionceau, looked at the altimeter of both planes in-sim and tested the dialog whether there's anything disabled, and the version on FGAddon has an altimeter without a QNH window, but the standard 'Instrument Settings' dialog allows me to set QNH and that affects the altimeter of both planes correctly.

So you're quite wrong in the claim - they can be operated just fine.

If you can't set QNH via the dialog, you likely have some alternative version of these planes - in that case you need to contact the author for further support, I can only look at the FGAddon version.

The plane is from FGaddon list. I have never mentioned the Instrument dialog box, merely the function not being where it actually should be. As for the misspelling, so I missed off a 'c'. Pretty petty remark Thorsten. Why do you take every observation as a personal slight, it really doesn't encourage people to ask questions.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:57 pm

I have never mentioned the Instrument dialog box, merely the function not being where it actually should be.

Well, I did - because that's apparently what you have to use and the fact that you asked the question indicates that you didn't know that (so naturally I didn't expect you to mention it, otherwise you would not have asked in the first place).

As for the misspelling, so I missed off a 'c'. Pretty petty remark Thorsten. Why do you take every observation as a personal slight,

Yeah...

So I can't load the plane because FG doesn't find it with your spelling, I spend an extra minute finding out what plane might be meant, go the extra mile to load both planes and check whether altimeter setting is broken in one of them - so in fact I do my job pretty thoroughly and follow a bug report based on incorrect input data - and as a result i'm petty.

Actually, I did not take your observation as a personal slight - I followed it up and tested it. You however seem to take the answer as a personal insult - it doesn't really encourage people to answer your questions or take your bug reports seriously.
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:28 pm

As you soon as you put Lio in aircraft search tab it shows up, so can't see how the 'C' made any difference. As for Instrument settings that is not what you said. As I pointed out saying Dialogue box meant nothing. If you had said Instrument settings then of course I would have know straight away.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:29 pm

As you soon as you put Lio in aircraft search tab it shows up, so can't see how the 'C' made any difference.

There's tons of things you can't see - one of them being the existence of a commandline in a bash context to start FG (rather than the launcher).

As for Instrument settings that is not what you said. As I pointed out saying Dialogue box meant nothing.

Yeah, I said 'dialog' and refined as 'altimeter dialog' which has 'pressure settings' - clearly I've never used the words 'Dialogue box' (I trust you can read my actual wording in this thread). I'm sorry if I had misplaced my confidence that you'd be able to figure out what a 'dialog' is and link the Altimeter mentally with 'Instruments' - apparently that was not the case.
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:54 pm

This is a fruitless exchange, you use words that don't relate to what it's called in FG itself, then it's my fault. Please do us both a favour and do not bother to respond to any post I may make.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Please do us both a favour and do not bother to respond to any post I may make.

There's actually a number of people who have tried to answer you in this thread, and by and large you missed the meaning of pretty much everyone, so the next person tried to chime in an help you, with the pattern to be repeated for a while.

So you might entertain the thought that you are actually not doing a good job explaining what your problem is - which is not everyone else's fault, and in particular not mine - and the fact that you managed to somehow read a 'Dialogue box' which I've demonstrably never written anywhere suggests that you might want to read the answers people give to you more carefully as well.

If you want to make this personal in any way - that's your business. I've been answering questions in this forum long before you joined it when I happen to know a probable answer and I'm not going to change my habits because you are unhappy.
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:36 pm

You are right you have been on these forums a lot longer than me and I have read numerous threads where you have taken this high handed attitude and upset other knowledgeable posters. I don't claim any expertise which is why I ask. My original post on this matter was quite clear. You could just have said, use Instrument setting but you didn't. That came from another. End of conversation.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm

You could just have said, use Instrument setting but you didn't. That came from another.

Ah, the joys of reading properly (see above...)

No - 'instrument settings' actually came from... me (!) when I realized you had no clue what I was talking about. And, well - if you didn't know which dialog I mean - how hard would it really be to ask 'Sorry - which dialog do you mean?' Rather than let us all guess what you didn't understand...

I don't claim any expertise which is why I ask.

I don't mind you asking - I mind you not reading what people answer you and then complain that they answer somehow wrongly.

I have read numerous threads where you have taken this high handed attitude and upset other knowledgeable posters.

Forgive me if my confidence in your ability to determine who did what in a thread is somewhat shaken by the teensy fact that you invented an answer I have not given and continued to invent a poster which supposedly gave the answer I actually gave.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Flying