Board index FlightGear Support Flying

trains using terrasync?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

trains using terrasync?

Postby dilbert » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 am

2016.4.3 WIN 10 Intel I3 Nvidia Geforce 210
Using Terrasync
ICE3_train demo
railway_demo
Steam_train_demo

Using UFO have thoroughly examined area around KAKQ, 21 miles at 84 degrees from EGXZ (vicinity of EGX4), and area around EDDF with demos selected under AI; but find no trains. Do these demos only work with downloaded scenery and not Terrasync alone?
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Re: trains using terrasync?

Postby AndersG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:07 pm

steam_train_demo worked for me. I mostly have just Terrasync scenery and FGData from git. I don't know whether the AI scenarios load their models from FGData/Models or from <scenerydir>/Models or search both.

Use the Phi web interface with the modification posted in the other AI groundvehicle thread to see where the trains are - it is easier decide if they truly are invisible then. The models are small! (And the trees must be gigantic...)

IIRC, my cockpit view add-on here also includes AI entities, but I have not tried it recently so I might be wrong. The XML file should be loaded as an preferences overlay (the --config=<file> argument to fgfs).
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby dilbert » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks Anders. I make it a practice of operating with the code as it comes in the download, with rare exception. Will revisit locations at very low altitude to see if I can find any very small trains visible.
Best Dilbert
dilbert

Postby Johan G » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:43 pm

A slight bit off topic:

AndersG wrote in Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:07 pm:The models are small! (And the trees must be gigantic...)

Would possibly the trees seem about three times too large when compared to the trains and the trains seem to be in about 1:3 scale when compared to the trees?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby dilbert » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 pm

I just revisited Wakefield using the UFO just below tree top level. I found no trains or buses. What I did find was a large plain at one end of the airfield ( the other end is in the woods). Exploring the plain I found a straight gray road with an adjacent black line (looking suspiciously like a rail roadbed sans track) extending diagonally across one side of the open plain, beginning just off the woods (20) end of the runway and extending out onto the plain, with directional bearings 318/138. There are also some T-line towers in the same general vicinity. The trains and buses scenario was selected under AI. Are you exclusively using Terrasync or do you also have installed scenery for this area? Not sure it would make a difference. But I can't figure why you see the train and I don't. I'm strictly using 2016.4.3 as downloaded with no installed scenery and Terrasync.
dilbert

Postby AndersG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Johan G wrote in Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:43 pm:A slight bit off topic:

AndersG wrote in Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:07 pm:The models are small! (And the trees must be gigantic...)

Would possibly the trees seem about three times too large when compared to the trains and the trains seem to be in about 1:3 scale when compared to the trees?

I haven't looked at the train models in Blender - are you suggesting they are dimensioned in feet?
They didn't look that much out of size compared to the UFO I was using - but OTOH who knows how large or small that is...
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby dilbert » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Am traveling in the UFO slightly below tree top level, so I should see the trains, even if very small. All I see is a wide open plain with some trees, a few barns, a road with a possible railway roadbed adjacent, extending from just off the end of runway 20, through the woods, and then out into the plain in an area where there are some T-line towers close to the border of the plain. I certainly would see a train-even at 1/3 scale or less; and don't, so my problem appears to be something other than scale. Best Regards, Dilbert
dilbert

Postby AndersG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Try my cockpit-view.xml that I linked to above. It adds a model-cockpit view that you can move between all AI and MP entities using the key q/Q. It positions you at the origin of the MP/AI entity so it is not a very nice view but it verifies that the MP/AI entity exist and it is usually possible to see if it has a visible 3d model. I rarely use the view so there could be rough edges and unexpected failures.

Here I can see the steam_train_demo models but not the railway_demo ones, although the AI entities are there (I get a moving view but don't see any model).
AndersG

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:21 am

i can attest that your cockpit-view addon works since i've used it to watch AI craft fly from their POV... i'm unclear, though, on where to originate my sim for testing each of these scenarios and to try to see what is or is not going on...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dilbert » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Thank you Anders for your link to your cockpit view routine, which I may employ at some future time.

My real objective is to determine why the demo doesn't work in my present, as downloaded, version of 2016.4.3.
I note that FlightPlans>Railway_1.xml and Models>Transport/Diesel_T153.xml, and the like are all present, which indicates to me the proper code is in place, and that the demo ought to function . I also assume that the demo functioned satisfactorily in some earlier version. Based on what I see when attempting to run, it doesn't function at all; rather than there merely being a visibility problem-though it might be. Best Regards

P.S. It's a little off the demo subject, but I tested about 25 aircraft for visibility in MP-most all the transports and
single engine jets-, using two computers and placing aircraft in front of each other on the runway. Out of all the
aircraft tested I could only see the actual model for the F14, JA37, and 777. For the rest I got the blue and yellow token
Last edited by dilbert on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dilbert

Postby Johan G » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Johan G wrote in Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:43 pm:Would possibly the trees seem about three times too large when compared to the trains and the trains seem to be in about 1:3 scale when compared to the trees?

AndersG wrote in Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 pm:I haven't looked at the train models in Blender - are you suggesting they are dimensioned in feet?

Rather the other way around, sort of. To not get furter off topic I started the new topic Are random vegetation trees too large?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby dilbert » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Was apparently at wrong Wakefield. However, now checking area in vicinity of 53.68N and -1.5059W . See a large industrial complex with what appears to be a railway roadbed immediately adjacent-it also has periodic station platforms along the route. No trains visible in area and no noticeable change when I select and deselect the trains and buses demo.

KSFO airtrain works fine and is visible.

Found train at Frankfurt HBF by sitting at BHF in the UFO at ground level and then clicking the demo. The trains spawn at the station. However, the cars are disconnected and tumble in every direction as they are traveling. Followed down
to cooling towers near airport. Still don't know if they can be spawned anywhere along route. Scale of cars seems reasonable :)

Rechecked Wakefield using similar method: prepositioned UFO facing small rail station (it has a platform on each side of the track and a green pedestrian crossover bridge) adjacent to industrial complex; then clicked demo and waited for train to appear; which it failed to do after six or seven minutes. Is this the right
place for the train to appear? And, if so, how long is It between appearances?
Also checked downtown area for buses, but found none. There is an open green shed that looks
somewhat like a bus station, but no buses emanate from it.
Still no luck with steam train demo.
dilbert

Return to Flying