Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Postby Thorsten » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:54 am

I'm a commandline sort of guy - have been for the last 12 years, unlikely to change in the future...
Thorsten

Postby jaxsin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:35 am

ah ha, yes $FG_HOME/Aircraft/org.flightgear.official/catalog.xml is the right place for that file. For those that don't have FG compiled with Qt and therefor can't launch the Qt5 launcher, try this

Code: Select all
curl -o $FG_HOME/Aircraft/org.flightgear.official/catalog.xml http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml

load flightgear and profit (of course, define $FG_HOME), you can probably do something similar with windows, at least you would see the planes in-sim. Not sure if that would fix the http access errors when downloading the aircraft or not from in-sim. Will try that next when I am back in windows and update.
jaxsin

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:16 pm

jaxsin wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:35 am:I just installed Arch linux so I could have an easier development environment and what do you know, fgfs --launcher doesn't load the launcher, just the default c172p in KSFO. I was under the impression this was built for linux first *pounds forehead on keyboard

the new --launcher requires Qt5... you mention an easier development environment so i guess you are building your own fgfs... if you use the download_and_compile.sh script from FGMETA, it should download the necessary packages (via apt-get if that works on Arch) but that depends on how you run the script...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby elgaton » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:31 pm

jaxsin wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:35 am:I just installed Arch linux so I could have an easier development environment and what do you know, fgfs --launcher doesn't load the launcher, just the default c172p in KSFO.

The default Arch Linux build does not include the launcher, read from this post onwards for an explanation and for the SimGear/FlightGear PKGBUILDs I use that have the launcher enabled.

I can send an updated PKGBUILD and/or get in touch with the maintainer to enable it, keeping in mind that would introduce a dependency on Qt5 (I'm personally in favor of it, but there were mixed opinions in the past). Since you're already the second person asking for it (and the Qt launcher will gradually obsolete older ones such as FGRun), I guess I can proceed?
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby jaxsin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

@elgaton I was only asking so I could figure out how to get it to work while still using FFGo as my default launcher.

Though since I do plan on setting up a build environment for FG, I will use your PKGBUILDs and ENABLE_QT for completeness, if these aren't, they would be worth posting on the AUR, no?
jaxsin

Postby elgaton » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:52 pm

jaxsin wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm:if these aren't, they would be worth posting on the AUR, no?

Of course (I'm just unsure whether I should put them in the AUR or submit a change request for the official PKGBUILDs due to the dependency).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby turtle » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 pm

So the work around is to just download the big zip file, correct? I would suggest to the thread owner to update the first post about it not working. I'm glad I had the spare time to read the post about the download not working, as that would have been frustrating to leave it for hours for nothing.

Thorsten wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:47 am:
Personally I also prefer the download page (well, before I had to work with the repositories anyway).

I couldn't agree more. It was so easy to find an aircraft especially if you had a high resolution monitor.
turtle

Postby Necolatis » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:58 pm

turtle wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 pm:I would suggest to the thread owner to update the first post about it not working.

It works for me on Windows, which was the whole point of making this thread, to help others get it to work also.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby rominet » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:37 pm

Necolatis wrote in Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:53 pm:This seems to be true, but the devs rely so much on this new feature that they removed the nice and userfriendly flightgear.org download aircraft page, and replaced it with a list of ZIPs:

The previous way had different download pages for various FG releases. I'm sure users of FG < 2016.1.1 will appreciate the user-friendliness of having to learn how to download from SVN tags (or maybe switch to other hangars, *cough*). Good thing is, the FGAddon wiki page mentioning many ways to interact with the repo was very well written, last I checked (thanks, bugman!).
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby jaxsin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:52 am

Necolatis wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:58 pm:
turtle wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 pm:I would suggest to the thread owner to update the first post about it not working.

It works for me on Windows, which was the whole point of making this thread, to help others get it to work also.

if you mean windows 7, then yes this seems to fit my understanding of when things went south with windows 8 and the more restrict it got, remember secure boot?
jaxsin

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:53 pm

Works for me on windows 10:
*Never use a Family account. Use a typical account.
*Set the download directory to FG_Home
*The list is displayed,but when downloading the % ramped up then say FAILED. I can't download the specific aircraft from now on.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby turtle » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:17 pm

Necolatis wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:58 pm:

That's the thing, I have the exact same Operating System and it didn't work. I appreciate you trying to help getting it to work for others, but the endless download is probably going to annoy people looking for a quick fix. I think adding a side note, my give people a clue it's not a confirmed fix.

Jasxin, did you get it to work besides downloading it from the index?
turtle

Postby jaxsin » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:10 am

Turtle, no I have not found a way to get it to work in windows. You can verify if you have the same permission issue as I do, run FG with the --console switch under windows cmd line client

Code: Select all
fgfs.exe --launcher --console

You can also edit the properties of the shortcut and add --console to the end of the target box.
If you get an http error in console when you try to add the hangar then it is the same bug that persist and is very inconsistent. I have spent quite a few hours trying to track down permissions and setting them correctly. Checked logs etc etc, nothing I did ever solved the issue, only glimpses of it working, which was odd. Mostly for terrasync though.

Really, unless some windows users want to start sharing details and build some sort of db to help debug this issue it won't go anywhere. I don't blame him, but, it was posted some time ago that he (a dev) would see about updating SGPath to use something different, more in line with the msdn from microsoft. Maybe possibly looking at a solution. Still nothing in this department that I am aware of. It's just the way it is I am afraid. There was updated code to help spit out more debug info for HTTP errors. I checked to see if it helped on my end without much luck. So I have got zero information to post. Neco is the only one that has a working windows install, terrasync and all. I'd ask him for specifics :)

*Set the download directory to FG_Home

what does this mean exactly? FG_HOME is wherever you put it. It's a variable that is settable last I knew

Edit: I just installed windows fresh last weekend and just got around to installing FG again. Guess what guys? It doesn't work out of the box! I can install the catalog.xml as I stated in my previous post, but the http permission error is still there when trying to actually download anything in-sim or in-launcher. If anyone here is having issues downloading anything inside of launcher or in-sim from aircraft center post your FG logs. Would be better to run the updated 2016.2 to get the more robust http debug info that was added in recently.
jaxsin

Postby natew » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:30 am

Hello,

I can't seem to get this to work. I recently downloaded FG 2016.1 from the flightgear homepage. I'm running on a mac, so I skipped the step you mentioned of setting the downloads folder. I continued on to set the URL for my aircraft hangar and when I enter "http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml" it says:

"The provided hangar is for a different version of FlightGear. (This is version 2016.1.1)"

I haven't looked found any documentation for the xml file, but I would assume that based on the beginning of the file:

<version>3.4.*</version>
<version n="1">3.5.*</version>
<version n="2">3.6.*</version>
<version n="3">3.7.*</version>
<version n="4">2016.*.*</version>

It would support any version matching 2016.*.*

Could someone help?
natew

Postby jaxsin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:02 am

natew, where did you download 2016.1? because the official version is 2016.1.1 or 2016.2.0 for development version
jaxsin

PreviousNext

Return to Flying