Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Postby jaxsin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:40 am

ranar wrote in Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 am:I cant seem to download the aircrafts. I have downloaded the program of the main page and running 2016.1.1 I have followed the instructions on this thread but I keep getting the "connectToHost: open() failed" So im stuck with one plane unless I download them all individually can anyone help me out?

Im running windows 10 if that helps

No, it doesn't help. In fact it makes it much worse if you are running windows 10. Forget about using this until it is fixed. 2016.1.1 is the most broken version. I have still not seen this fixed in development versions either. There is a huge bug that is causing some major headaches for windows users and developers, and from what I have read there is no solution yet. As in, not one person on here or the mailing list has a fully working windows 10 aircraft center in-sim or Qt launcher that works 100% as designed and implemented. Someone prove me wrong... then start providing some answers so we can eliminate false positives and find the real issue

Edit: James announced he is ready to move towards libCurl on the mailing list. Good news? One can only hope
Last edited by jaxsin on Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaxsin

Postby Hooray » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:18 pm

someone should really go through this thread and copy relevant instructions, and screenshots, to a dedicated wiki article
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby jaxsin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Well there is some conflicting information and it looks like things may start to change on the development end. I'd wait and see how it plays out.
jaxsin

Postby D-2596 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Necolatis wrote in Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:36 am:For Linux/Mac skip step 4 and 5. Those are only for Windows.

1 - First, make sure you have Flightgear stable release version 2016.1.1.
2 - Start up flightgear from the default shortcut, do not use FGRun or other launchers. (fgfs.exe --launcher)
3 - Go into settings and then "Configure add-on aircraft and scenery"
4 - At the top there is a button "Change...", click on it.
5 - Choose the folder "c:\Users\[win username]\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org" and click "Select folder". (as the default folder wont allow downloads to work[a win only bug I believe) [notice this will also move your Terrasync folder to there]
6 - Under Aircraft hangar locations, click the "+".
7 - Enter: "http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml" and click "Next". (and wait for it to finish)
8 - Click "OK". Then click "Quit"
9 - Start up flightgear again (same manner as point 2)
10 - Uncheck "Only show installed aircraft". And enjoy seeing 400+ aircraft in your launcher, ready to download and fly. :)
11 - We are not finished yet, hold on.
12 - Select an installed aircraft and click "Run"
13 - In the menu "File", select "Aircraft Center (experimental)"
14 - Click "OK" to the question.
15 - Scroll down and select an aircraft, and click install.
16 - Wait for install to finish.
17 - You now need to refresh the page, just click on "installed" tab at top.
18 - You should see your newly installed aircraft now, and a button underneath the ratings. Click that button and enjoy.

Ofcouse you only need point 1 to 10 if you want to install/run from the new launcher, else do to point 18.

Once you have done this, you don't have to use the new launcher anymore. It should just work.

My FG is going to crash if I do step 7 :D
D-2596

Postby jaxsin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:09 pm

FYI:

James has now committed the use of libCurl and as such on my windows box the in-sim aircraft center is working beautifully. Please allow Jenkins to complete a daily build before checking to see that this feature works for you as well.
jaxsin

Postby Hark3n » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi,

First post here.

I'm on Linuxmint and my launcher crashes when I try to add the default hangar.

Adding the hangar with a URL I get the following error in the command line.

doing refresh of "http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml"
Segmentation fault

If I try the Restor Default Hangar button I get this.

doing refresh of "http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/2016.1.1/catalog.xml"
catalog download failure:http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/2016.1.1/catalog.xml
failed refresh of "http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/2016.1.1/catalog.xml" : 8

void AddCatalogDialog::onCatalogStatusChanged(simgear::pkg::Catalog*) cat status: 8
void AddCatalogDialog::updateUi() failed with code 8

Is this a bug in the system, or is there another way around this?
Hark3n

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:10 am

@Hark3n: what version of FGFS are you running?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hark3n » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:42 am

I'm running the latest from the PPA, 2016.1.1
Hark3n

Postby rominet » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:19 am

These features are under active development/fixing. I think you would obtain best support by posting to the flightgear-devel mailing-list, which is read by the developer of the built-in Qt launcher (James Turner).
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:28 pm

I can't proceed the step 7 (of course win7 with 2016.1), the wait step don't ends ever. I downloaded aircraft allways from the web or ftp, but this simplier methode don't work for me by a first try (something worrying since it's aimed for all users who don't want to install aircraft in many steps; beginners)
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby jaxsin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:36 pm

@Catalonic What version are you trying? 2016.1.1 will not work! While a nightly should work as it uses cURL and this fixes the error that causes the incorrect assumption that the program is waiting for download to complete. trust me, it is not doing anything
jaxsin

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:49 pm

@jaxsin: Thanks but the first step: [b]First, make sure you have Flightgear stable release version 2016.1.1.[/b] The problem was experienced on that version. I'll try it with the nightly build but i think the first post need to be corrected.
Catalanoic

Postby jaxsin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:49 pm:@jaxsin: Thanks but the first step: [b]First, make sure you have Flightgear stable release version 2016.1.1.[/b] The problem was experienced on that version. I'll try it with the nightly build but i think the first post need to be corrected.

there is no need for this tutorial if it works in the nightly. I already had the catalog locally, so when the fix came in and I updated FG to the nightly, FG just started working. Qt launcher and in sim aircraft center both work. Reports of issues are always welcome
jaxsin

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:52 pm

OK Thanks for the help, worked for me with nightly. But no clue which version are the aircraft from that list or how can I update it in the future. I hope these fixes will be included on the next stable version.
Catalanoic

Postby FlightJunkie » Sun May 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi, is it normal that it takes forever for the process to finish?
FlightJunkie

PreviousNext

Return to Flying