Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Postby natew » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:33 am

jaxsin,

I went to the homepage: http://www.flightgear.org/ where it says "Flight Gear 2016.1" and I clicked the download button which takes me to the main downloads page. I then clicked on the link for MacOsX: https://sourceforge.net/projects/flight ... g/download which looks like it is actually 2016.1.1. So I think I actually installed 2016.1.1, but the main page calls it 2016.1

This is consistent with my error message which says I have 2016.1.1
natew

Postby Necolatis » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:50 am

2016.1 is is a short way of saying 2016.1.1, there is no version called 2016.1 only.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby natew » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:57 am

Well this is interesting: when I try to add the catalog http://www.daveshangar.org/catalog.xml it works just fine, yet when I add the official one (http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml) I still get that error about the version being wrong.

Perhaps it likes listing 2016.1.* and 2016.2.* explicitly more than just listing 2016.*.*?
natew

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 pm

i have 2016.*.* in my catalog file and it works just fine... in fact, i've had to manually add the last three or four to my catalog to alleviate the warnings/errors about it... in fact, if you specifically open that xml file from the server, it also has 2016.*.* from the original creator of the file...

there should be five version entries in the file... i've listed them here on separate lines for clarity and ease of reading...
Code: Select all
<version>3.4.*</version>
<version n="1">3.5.*</version>
<version n="2">3.6.*</version>
<version n="3">3.7.*</version>
<version n="4">2016.*.*</version>
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby natew » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:56 am

Hmmmm... Well does anyone have any other ideas why I get that error on the official catalog?
natew

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:51 am

have you tried replacing your existing catalog with the one from the server?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby natew » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:05 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:51 am:have you tried replacing your existing catalog with the one from the server?

wkitty42, I'm not sure what you mean. This is what I did:

I downloaded 2016.1.1 from the website on a Mac. I opened the launcher, went to the settings page, and clicked "Configure add-on aircraft and scenery." Then I clicked the "+" button next to the Aircraft Hangar locations text field and entered the URL "http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml" (is that what you meant when you suggested replacing my existing catalog with the one from the server?). One time I did this and I got the endless download issue that someone else on this thread mentioned, every other time I got the error "The provided hangar is for a different version of FlightGear. (This is version 2016.1.1)"

When I do the same thing with "http://www.daveshangar.org/catalog.xml" it works just fine.
natew

Postby natew » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:16 pm

I also tried navigating to the default download location and did the following:
cd org.flightgear.official
curl http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml > catalog.xml
mkdir Aircraft

In hopes that the next time I loaded flightgear it would just pick up that new catalog, but it doesn't look like flight gear was able to find it automatically.
natew

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:20 pm

you should not have to enter that goneabitbursar url in the hangers box unless you already added another one... it should be the default one... i've never entered anything in there at all...

on the replacing, i would do it how i consider to be "TheEasyWay<tm>"... go to the url in a web browser and then use the "save page as" option and overwrite the existing catalog file... make sure you do this when FGFS is not running... i don't know if that can be easily done on a mac or not...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby natew » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:11 am

That's interesting, when I first opened it there were no hangar URLs in that box and the only planes available to me were the 173, the UFO and I think one other thing. My org.flightgear.official folder is completely empty (no catalog or anything) and I don't know if the folder even existed before I tried to add the official hangar.
natew

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:54 am

that is interesting... in mine there are no visible hanger urls, either... there is a description, though...

This hangar provides aircraft officially supported and
      maintained by the FlightGear project,
    under a free-software license.

as i've never been into that section of the launcher, i don't know if there are two fields in there or not... one for the url and the other for the description... maybe i'll try adding daves and see what happens...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Müller » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:36 pm

Through the URL I could not download anything, nor catalogo.xml had error-failed-
So did a xml catalog and put in my Documents\FlightGear ;
-Aircraft Airport
-Models Custom Scenery
-Objetcts TerraSync
- catalog.xml
(I think the order of folders is this)
  A lot of times I tried to install the catalog by copying and pasting the URL into "+" Insert URL in "Aircraft hangar locations" but had error, failed, but it was resolved in the way described above.
Now I can baixcar download aircraft by Aircraft Center, not all, some have errors-failed-, or have to "wait" message and does not come out of it, is always in the "wait".
Another thing, I can not change the aircraft through the Aircraft Center, always gives crash.
I'm not on the computer that I FG so I can not give details.
  QT launcher is a great and promising innovation, and the time to start working without errors will be extraordinary due to innovation as mentioned above.
I use FG 2016.1.1
Last edited by Müller on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby ranar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 am

I cant seem to download the aircrafts. I have downloaded the program of the main page and running 2016.1.1 I have followed the instructions on this thread but I keep getting the "connectToHost: open() failed" So im stuck with one plane unless I download them all individually can anyone help me out?

Im running windows 10 if that helps
ranar

Postby Müller » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:16 pm

I can download here:

And here I can not download:
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby rominet » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:52 pm

That is why this thread should not have Aircraft Center in its subject. The Aircraft Center (in-sim, labelled as experimental, and not currently developed anymore) is not the same beast as the built-in Qt launcher (featured in Müller's second screenshot).

@ranar:

You can certainly download other aircraft using one of the methods I mentioned in this message.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

PreviousNext

Return to Flying