Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Postby Necolatis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:36 am

For Linux/Mac skip step 4 and 5. Those are only for Windows.

1 - First, make sure you have Flightgear stable release version 2016.1.1.
2 - Start up flightgear from the default shortcut, do not use FGRun or other launchers. (fgfs.exe --launcher)
3 - Go into settings and then "Configure add-on aircraft and scenery"
4 - At the top there is a button "Change...", click on it.
5 - Choose the folder "c:\Users\[win username]\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org" and click "Select folder". (as the default folder wont allow downloads to work[a win only bug I believe) [notice this will also move your Terrasync folder to there]
6 - Under Aircraft hangar locations, click the "+".
7 - Enter: "http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml" and click "Next". (and wait for it to finish)
8 - Click "OK". Then click "Quit"
9 - Start up flightgear again (same manner as point 2)
10 - Uncheck "Only show installed aircraft". And enjoy seeing 400+ aircraft in your launcher, ready to download and fly. :)
11 - We are not finished yet, hold on.
12 - Select an installed aircraft and click "Run"
13 - In the menu "File", select "Aircraft Center (experimental)"
14 - Click "OK" to the question.
15 - Scroll down and select an aircraft, and click install.
16 - Wait for install to finish.
17 - You now need to refresh the page, just click on "installed" tab at top.
18 - You should see your newly installed aircraft now, and a button underneath the ratings. Click that button and enjoy.

Ofcouse you only need point 1 to 10 if you want to install/run from the new launcher, else do to point 18.

Once you have done this, you don't have to use the new launcher anymore. It should just work.
Last edited by Necolatis on Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Re: Tutorial: How to get aircraft center to work

Postby Necolatis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 am

Btw. for windows users this also solves the terrasync issue that files cannot be deleted and therefore not updated once they are downloaded.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Re: Tutorial: How to get Aircraft Center to work

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:28 pm

so you are using the Qt5 launcher to reconfigure settings that are otherwise conflicting with the integrated Aircraft Center ?
Have you considered posting a heads-up to the devel list ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Necolatis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Not quite, I just use that launcher to get the package system going. Once the catalog has been installed, the aircraft center works fine. They don't conflict, they work together as I see it.

Not sure there is need to post to devel, I already talked to them about the problem with the files that cannot be deleted, so I think they know the rest also.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby jaxsin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:45 pm

refresh of Catalog started:http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml
HTTP::Connection: connectToHost: open() failed

Not going to happen for me, that address points to a 404

Nor do I believe this fixes the terrasync issue about "permission denied" on the cache files, I do not use the default directory, but still have issues. If you solved it by using the FG AppData default folder to hold terrasync files, then maybe that is a clue. But I haven't found a solution a yet.
Last edited by jaxsin on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaxsin

Postby Necolatis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:49 pm

jaxsin wrote in Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:45 pm:HTTP::Connection: connectToHost: open() failed

That error you will also get if the launcher has trouble writing the files it needs to write. I know it sounds like a network error, but I had the same until I changed the default download folder. So did you do step 4 and 5 and change the folder to $FGHOME? I think that will solve your problem.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby jaxsin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 pm

http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/2016.1.1/catalog.xml

This link is dead, I am pretty sure atm this is the reason for the above
jaxsin

Postby Necolatis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:58 pm

Thats also not the correct link, try this:

http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby jaxsin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:27 pm

Well you was correct, you will get the same error...

jaxsin

Postby Necolatis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes, but it seems you get that error even when you changed default download location to $FGHOME.

That's new to me. Not sure how to solve that, sorry.

Wait, maybe try to quit the launcher after you changed that location, and then see if it works when you start it back up, is only thing I can think of right now.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:26 pm

i updated to a newer version of 2016.2.0 earlier and kept my eye open for this specifically... i had modified by local catalog.xml file to add the new 2016.2.* version to the list... when i started fg to begin a new round of my long-term testing (endlessly circling KSFO at 300ft@155kts) i saw the following right before noon eastern time USA (UTC-5 i think)...
Code: Select all
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/main.cxx:415:FlightGear:  Version 2016.2.0
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/main.cxx:416:Built with GNU C++ version 4.8
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/main.cxx:418:Jenkins number/ID 0:none
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2509:set from command-line argument: fg_root = /home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/flightgear/bin/../fgdata/
input:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/fg_init.cxx:469:Reading global preferences
input:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/fg_init.cxx:471:Finished Reading global preferences
input:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/globals.cxx:632:Reading user settings from /home/myuser/.fgfs/autosave_2016_2.xml
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/simgear/simgear/package/Catalog.cxx:214:creating catalog from:Path "/home/myuser/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.official"
navaid:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Navaids/NavDataCache.cxx:257:NavCache at:Path "/home/myuser/.fgfs/navdata_2016_2.cache"
navaid:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Navaids/NavDataCache.cxx:1119:NavCache: no main cache rebuild required
io:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Network/HTTPClient.cxx:84:refresh of Catalog started:http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/globals.cxx:352:skipping duplicate add of scenery path:/home/myuser/.fgfs/TerraSync
navaid:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Airports/xmlloader.cxx:52:reading groundnet data from Path "/home/myuser/.fgfs/TerraSync/Airports/K/S/F/KSFO.groundnet.xml"
navaid:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Airports/xmlloader.cxx:62:parsing groundnet XML took 25
io:4:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/simgear/simgear/io/HTTPClient.cxx:145:HTTP Connection handleError:110 (Connection timed out)
io:4:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/simgear/simgear/io/HTTPRequest.cxx:328:HTTP request: set failure:110 reason Connection timed out
io:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/simgear/simgear/io/HTTPRequest.cxx:193:request failed:http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/official/catalog.xml : 110/Connection timed out
io:4:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/simgear/simgear/io/sg_netChannel.cxx:240:Network:12: errno: No such file or directory(2)

i immediately opened the link in my firefox browser by hiliting it in the terminal and right click->open link... the file arrived in seconds with no problems... work has been being done on the http recently and this work may be affecting this... or not...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby someguy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:37 am

After using the tutorial above, my Aircraft Center seems to work, and the entire catalog appears in the launcher's aircraft selector. Thanks. Since I could not previously get the Run button to work for alternate versions of certain aircraft, such as the dhc2 with floats, I tried adding the dhc2 from the catalog in the launcher window. Instead of replacing the existing one, now I have two Beavers: the one I installed in my hangar folder is still limited to the wheels version, but the other one allows either version to run. Hovering over the Beavers in the launcher, the old one shows the folder where it resides, but the new one shows no tooltip on hover. A file search found only the original folder. I have no idea where it is! Anyone? Bueller?
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby daveculp » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:19 am

As a test I downloaded the B-1B from the aircraft center. It put the model in:

/home/dave/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.official/Aircraft/
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby jaxsin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:14 am

someguy wrote in Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:37 am: I have no idea where it is! Anyone? Bueller?

Step 5 is where you will find it if I understand correctly, a subfolder obviously of flightgear.org
jaxsin

Postby Necolatis » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:22 am

It seems like its put in under the first aircraft folder that you have listed, no matter what download location you have chosen. (at least on windows)
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Next

Return to Flying