Board index FlightGear Support Flying

FG Crashes too, too often

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

FG Crashes too, too often

Postby GhostRider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Since the advent of FG3.0, I've noticed the number of FG crashes increasing many more times than in the past. It is so freaking frustrating. I've sent in crash report after crash report too no avail. It crashes anytime from takeoff to landing ("FG HAS STOPPED WORKING SEND REPORT") I switch between the 777 and 787 aircraft most of the time. I program routes thru route manager. I've noticed that if I use a RWY to takeoff from the metar data on the server, FG doesn't agree with wind direction, etc. and usually shows the glide slope tunnel "goal posts" in the opposite wind direction of the metar data
I, also have noticed that it takes "forever" to load an aircraft, never mind to load an Airport (installed, or otherwise). The sim is just not working the way it should. Please make some adjustments.

Venting a lot today,
WJM
GhostRider

Version: 2018.3.1

Re: FG Crashes too, too often

Postby junior-s » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:25 pm

What OS are you running? What are the messages displayed on the Terminal?
junior-s
Retired

Callsign: junior-s
Version: GIT

Postby Philosopher » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Also, do the crashes go away if you remove joysticks? That's something I've noticed... There seems to be a bug somewhere in the depths of Nasal core.
Philosopher

Postby GhostRider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:36 pm

Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (desktop computer). As of the terminal, I wish I could "see" what is happening. Where in the setup should I click on to see "the terminal window"? I wouldn't know how to run the sim without a joystick (too many keyboard strokes to remember). Most of the time the crashes occur with autopilot active.

Thanks in Advance
GhostRider

Postby Gijs » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:49 am

Enable the "Show console" option on the last page of the launcher. That should give you a black window (hidden below the other windows) while running FlightGear. Critical errors should be displayed there.

Alternatively, you may also pastebin the contents of the fgfs.log file from your FG_HOME directory (see http://wiki.FlightGear.org/$FG_HOME).
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:37 am

And with all crashes, monitor memory consumption and see whether you might be running out.
Thorsten

Postby GhostRider » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks, I'll follow those instructions.

WJM
GhostRider

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:44 pm

if you find anything conclusive, please do use the issue tracker to post a follow-up - otherwise, useful info may be getting lost over time here.

Philosopher wrote in Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 pm:Also, do the crashes go away if you remove joysticks? That's something I've noticed... There seems to be a bug somewhere in the depths of Nasal core.

To be honest, and as previously mentioned, I find it hard to believe that there really is a bug that's just showing up in one particular subsystem (like the JS bindings) - now, I have never experienced this, but I also don't happen to use a Joystick :D I think it's been 2 releases ago that the JS stuff was revamped by Stuart, so it's possible that there's something going on in the C++ code and the way it's interacting with the Nasal engine. But so far, my impression really is that the naHash related issues are due to aggressive compiler optimizations - we have previously seen issues exactly due to this, and due to Andy's sophisticated pointer hacks, which also did show up in hash.c - to see if this could be the case here or not, I'd suggest to come up with a minimal test case that reliably triggers a segfault (no scenery, no complex aircraft - anything else disabled). Once we have that, we can either disable all optimizations, or explicitly mark hash.c (or libnasal.a) to not use any optimizations at all - if that helps, we need to look at the generated IR/ASM code to see what's going on, or simply use volatile/compiler attributes to prevent the compiler from touching some of Andy's data structures/code.

I would be very surprised if we had a bug in the Nasal engine that only shows up when using Joysticks - after all, Nasal doesn't know anything about Joysticks at all. So such an issue should show up in a lot of other places, and not just joystick bindings. Currently, I find it much more likely to be either due to compiler optimizations or due to the way the C++ code is interfacing with the corresponding ghosts.

If anybody around can come up with a very compact test case that triggers the whole thing, I may get a joystick and give it a try to see if I can reproduce the whole thing.

However, regarding those "bug reports" - keep in mind that those are not intended to immediately "fix" a problem at all - they are sent to a single person, and they don't result in your installation being magically updated, even if one particular bug report should happen to be useful, processed and cause patches.

For the time being, those bug reports are not really peer reviewed with any priority.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Flying