Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Aircraft won't start at gate

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Aircraft won't start at gate

Postby RustyPipez » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:16 am

I also have this problem. It happens with every airport for me, whether there are identical parking positions or not
RustyPipez

Postby OE-PH1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:57 am

RustyPipez wrote in Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:16 am:I also have this problem. It happens with every airport for me, whether there are identical parking positions or not

I am still struggling with the starting position problem. I became tired of hacks that won't work, so I have my own solution: I look up the GPS coordinates and heading from where I want to start from (for a first guess google-maps is your friend), then I enter them in advanced-options / position to make my aircraft come up on my desired location. Of ourse I save the once found coordinates for further use in a simple text file on my PC :D

Another possibility is to look into the groundnet files to find the coordinates.
I am a member of the A330 dev team
OE-PH1

Callsign: OE-PH1
Version: 2016.4

Postby Fritz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:52 pm

My solution is using log files. After landing and taxiing to a parking position, I save the log file. For the next flight, I chose the last arrival airport (this is important, see below!), and after the plane is placed on the runway, I load the log from the last flight and replay it (usually only the last seconds of course). So I always start at the spot where I left the plane, like in real life. This also works with small airports that don't have parking positions at all - on a generic airport I can simply leave the plane on the taxiway.

Sadly this isn't as simple as it may sound: The placement of the plane after stopping the log seems to be depending in some strange way on atmospheric pressure, so the plane may drop a little bit or is pushed up into the air by spring compression. In some cases, it can happen that the nose or tail is pushed up and the DC-3 ends up on its nose or the Super Constellation ends up on its tail (in these cases they can be put back on their wheels by changing load and balance). But the same problem can lead to your plane dropping from great heights and ending up on its back, when your log ends at a different airport than the one where you were placed when loading the log, so it is really important to select the correct airport when starting the simulator! Activating "live weather" can lead to similar problem, so I always choose my weather after loading and stopping the log file.

Another problem (I dare to call it bug) is that the horizontal position of the plane is altered slightly after playing the log. This can also happen if you don't save and reload the log. To reproduce, just taxi somewhere, position the main wheels exactly on a taxi line or something similar, and replay the log. At the end of the log, your plane will be exactly on the line, like you would expect. But after ending the replay mode, the plane will move along its x-axis. The Super Constellation always moves about half a planes length in a forward direction, while the DC-3 is less affected and tends to move to the aft, but not so far (perhaps because it's a tail dragger?). This can be repeated: Play the log again, and the plane will have moved even more! This is especially strange because the log itself always replays exactly to the correct position.

I haven't checked this phenomenon with other planes. Usually this isn't a real problem when loading and saving flight logs, but it can be a problem if you leave your plane very near to a building or a jet bridge. So you have to chose your parking location with a little care if your plane is affected by this problem!
Fritz

Version: 2018.3.6

Postby PINTO » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:37 pm

I use FFGo, which can fake the parking positions. Pretty easy.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby daweed » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 am

PINTO wrote in Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:37 pm:I use FFGo, which can fake the parking positions. Pretty easy.

+1 FFGo is actually the best "trick" to avoid park position problem...

FFgo simply read Long / Lat / Head and heading from groundnet (or parkings ) xml files and setup properties to start FGFS with --long --lat ... etc

=> if Fix is knowned & is existing, it should be submitted (if not done yet) to dev list.... , this problem exist since a long time now so it' would be nice to be fixed in the next release
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby elgaton » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:05 am

For your information, James Turner has fixed the bug a day or two ago, so aircraft will (again) start correctly at the selected gate in FG 2016.3 (which is due in four weeks).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby daweed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:34 am

elgaton wrote in Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:05 am:For your information, James Turner has fixed the bug a day or two ago, so aircraft will (again) start correctly at the selected gate in FG 2016.3 (which is due in four weeks).

That a very good news :)

Thanks to James
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:48 pm

Many, many thanks James!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby RJ5576 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:06 pm

FFGo doesn't seem to work; when I tell it to start me at a parking position, it starts me on a runway instead.
RJ5576

Callsign: RJ5576
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby PINTO » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:27 am

Did you tell FFGo to fake the parking position? If not, then yeah it won't work.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Postby RJ5576 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:09 am

I checked "Fake --parkpos" in the preferences, and it works now, but sometimes it works even when it's not checked.
RJ5576

Callsign: RJ5576
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby rominet » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:44 am

This is because FFGo not only offers startup locations defined in groundnet files (and thus available via --parkpos): it also offers X-Plane-style startup locations defined in apt.dat(.gz), which are by necessity passed to FG with --lat, --lon and --heading, not with --parkpos. So, no workaround is needed in such cases (which is for airports where the groundnet file has no defined parking position).

BTW, for a reproducible experience: whenever Fake the --parkpos option is changed in the Preferences dialog (after clicking on Save settings), you must explicitly choose an item in the parking pos/startup location popup dialog in order to see the effect of the change. After that, everything should work intuitively.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Trisnpod » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:35 pm

I can't get anything to start in parking position on v2016.2.1, is there a way to fix it? I tried deleting the navdata cache but I couldn't find the folder apdata (windows 10) and realised that was for an older version of flightgear anyway. And I don't really know what Jaxsin means in his post. :(
Trisnpod

Version: 2016.2.1

Postby PINTO » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:31 pm

Use FFGo or wait for 2016.3.1.

PINTO

Previous

Return to Flying