Board index FlightGear Support Flying

cross atlantic flying  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

cross atlantic flying

Postby simonseddon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

what do i have to put in NAV 1 and ADF to fly from KSFO to EGKK i am new to this and need as much help as possible thanks
simonseddon

Callsign: BRAVO82

Re: cross atlantic flying  

Postby redneck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Well, first of all, since you're new, you should start with short flights in the c172P. Get a feel for how it handles at slow flight. Learn to control altitude with throttle and speed with pitch. Then, move on to patterns. Then, move on to VFR cross-country flying for both the day and the night, using dead reckoning with pilotage checkpoints. Then, learn radio nav. Track to a station. Intercept a fix. Track a localiser or ILS. Once you have done this, you may want to continue making your way slowly up to twin prop and finally jets. Then, learn how to use the route manager. Then, setup a route from KSFO to EGKK that follows jetways, and has a waypoint about 20 nm out from the threshold with a turn of no more than 30 degrees to final, just to keep things simple.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby lolalilo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:44 pm

simonseddon wrote in Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm:as much help as possible

so see the wiki http://wiki.flightgear.org/ before asking question that a lot had asked before you...
and remember that, Roma havn't been build in one day ;)
lolalilo

Postby MAKG » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:36 pm

There is no single navaid that works 1/3 of the way around the world. VORs are only good to a few hundred miles.

You're asking how to run a marathon before you have learned to crawl.

And why pick a 10 hour flight for your first? I'd rather figure out I screwed up after 15 minutes, rather than a whole day.
MAKG

Postby Sealbhach » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Simon, you would need to use the Route Manager, plug in your destination and waypoints and press LNAV and the autopilot will follow the route.

For extra realism you should use the North Atlantic Tracks.

To plan your route you could use this site: http://mpmap02.flightgear.org/

If you hit the nav tab and then the eye symbol it will show you all the navigation aids in the selected area. If you are using Flightgear from Git, you can use the Map to plan your route.
Sealbhach

Return to Flying