Board index FlightGear Support Flying

How to erase all data of settings inside the game

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

How to erase all data of settings inside the game

Postby LH381 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:06 pm

This subject is really out of place, but I couldn't really find anything closest to it so I just decided to post it here. May I ask how to hard reset literally everything in the simulator. Everytime I restore the defaults, the stereoroscopic view options which I accidentally changed to horizontal split still stayed despite me reseting everything. (absolutely messed up the whole sim causing menus to be impossible to close) Even on reinstallation the view option that I left still stays. Does anyone know a way where I can erase absolutely all date of downloaded aircraft and settings?
LH381

Re: How to erase all data of settings inside the game

Postby polly » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:18 pm

For me, erasing aircraft-data folder and autosave_[xxx].xml ( where xxx is the release ID ) does that. You'd find those files wherever your OS saves personal Flightgear data, mine is at ~/.fgfs. Maybe search on fgfs.log to find the folder.
Maybe rename and stash the files elswhere in case you need them after all.
polly

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:28 pm

this post has the answer... change the name of the autosave file for the version of FG being used... https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?p=338195#p338195
it beats reinstalling ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby LH381 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:17 am

Sorry, I don't know where it saves it. However, the closest I can find was the download location. Is it possibly that one?
LH381

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:07 am

if you are on windows, use the search thing in the start menu and type in "%APPDATA%" without the quotes... this is normally a hidden directory... a window should open with the contents of that directory being shown... look for the flightgear one... i'm not sure how it is named... inside it you should find the autosave_xxxx.xml file along with other stuff that FG maintains itself...

another option is to start FG with the "--ignore-autosave" command line option... again, without the quotes... this will, as indicated, cause FG to load with the defaults only and none of the automatically saved settings... set what you want and when you exit FG the autosave file will be updated with the new settings...

FWIW: i found both of these answers in the FG wiki ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ervo1 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:40 pm

LH381 wrote in Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:06 pm:This subject is really out of place, but I couldn't really find anything closest to it so I just decided to post it here. May I ask how to hard reset literally everything in the simulator. Everytime I restore the defaults, the stereoroscopic view options which I accidentally changed to horizontal split still stayed despite me reseting everything. (absolutely messed up the whole sim causing menus to be impossible to close) Even on reinstallation the view option that I left still stays. Does anyone know a way where I can erase absolutely all date of downloaded aircraft and settings?

I have the same stereoscopic horizontal split problem which I can not get rid of. Not even reinstalling flightgear. Pls help me with a step by step fix. (I am not a computer wiz.) Thks.
ervo1

Postby Gijs » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:49 pm

Hi and welcome!

If you are using the launcher interface, go to the Settings tab and add this to the field of "Additional settings" (on a new line if there are other commands already present):
Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/rendering/osg-displaysettings/stereo-mode=OFF

If, instead, you are running FlightGear from the command line, you simply append this line to your commands.

Regards,

Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:24 am

And don't mess with the stereo settings again :) I think we need to change that menu choice so it isn't persistent. Quite honestly I am surprised we don't get support calls for this more often.
Last edited by wlbragg on Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby ervo1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:57 pm

Gijs wrote in Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:49 pm:Hi and welcome!

If you are using the launcher interface, go to the Settings tab and add this to the field of "Additional settings" (on a new line if there are other commands already present):
Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/rendering/osg-displaysettings/stereo-mode=OFF

If, instead, you are running FlightGear from the command line, you simply append this line to your commands.

Regards,

Gijs

Thks Gijs. Issue solved.
ervo1

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:42 pm

And don't mess with the stereo settings again :)

Please don't take that the wrong way. I'm glad you got it fixed. I have actually done it myself a long time ago. It's not appropriate for a newer user to easily have access to something that can hang them up like that. It is too tempting without a thorough explanation to try those setting out. I want 3D or stereo and would certainly try it in any program if I didn't know better.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Return to Flying