Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Rain don´t stop above cloud level

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Rain don´t stop above cloud level

Postby TheEagle » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:40 pm

[quote="FoxtrotCC";p=405443]share them over network.[7quote]=
How many clouds are on the FG sky with multiple overcast layers ? I'd say a thousand or even more - you'd need three floats for each (lon, lat, alt) = 4 bytes * 3 = 12 bytes, *1000 clouds = 12 kB - you might think that is very little, but - this is almost as much as the maximum MP packet size in FG (or even more ?), and it needs to be sent many times per seconds - for your internet connection it might be no problem to have 250 kB of traffic per sec, but the MP server has to be able to handle 100 pilots or more at a time - 25 MB per sec ! i guess you get it … :wink:

[quote="FoxtrotCC"]If your settings where low and you don´t have/see that visual trick, it rains on the outside and the planes animation & sound stops. Correct?/quote]
Almost - the rain on your windshield and the rain sound are independent from each other - you can disable sound and still see rain drops on your windows and vice-versa.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Re: Rain don´t stop above cloud level

Postby FoxtrotCC » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:28 pm

TheEagle wrote in Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:40 pm:
FoxtrotCC wrote in Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:24 pm:share them over network.

This is taken out of context. It was never my theme or topic to let it rain beneath a (single) cloud (with basic weather) and share them over network.

TheEagle wrote in Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:40 pm:...you might think that is very little...

No, I don´t do that.

Thorsten wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:55 am:
@FoxtroCC: both the sound and the droplets on your windows depend on /environment/rain-norm (usually), which seems to always represent the rain intensity at ground level

That's the issue - the 'seems'. It's a property that originates being read off from a METAR report. If it's set, BW will produce rain and it'll be made invisible above the lowest cloud level, regardless of whether this makes any sense of not.

That explains everything.

Greets Foxtrot
FoxtrotCC

Version: 2020.3.19

Previous

Return to Flying