Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Problems on gates

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Problems on gates

Postby SidarDeha » Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 pm

deleted message
Last edited by SidarDeha on Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SidarDeha
Retired

Re: Problems on gates

Postby TheEagle » Mon May 23, 2022 7:44 pm

SidarDeha wrote in Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 pm: Adding [aircraft] to scenery as "scenery objects" only makes problem.

No, it doesn't - the real problem is that whoever placed the static aircraft didn't pay any attention to the parking spots, or the one who did the groundnet didn't care about the static models …
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby FlugHund » Mon May 23, 2022 8:36 pm

A flight simulator aims for reproducing real life scenarios and situations. Inside a flight simulator it should be possible to simulate departures and arrivals from and to any in real life available parking positions. There's absolutely no reason – flight simulator wise speaking – to place any static object on any runway, taxiway or parking position. Placing objects there is what e.g. architects do to make their models look more alive. Even for game designers this is ok. Where 'pilots' have missions like to depart from a certain parking position and the other ones are never used and just have to look pretty or busy and just serve as eye-candy.
This rises the question, I think, whether the FG-project still aims to be a simulator or slowly drifting into the gaming sector?
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby MariuszXC » Mon May 23, 2022 8:57 pm

Wait a sec...

FlugHund wrote in Mon May 23, 2022 8:36 pm:A flight simulator aims for reproducing real life scenarios and situations. Inside a flight simulator it should be possible to simulate departures and arrivals from and to any in real life available parking positions. There's absolutely no reason – flight simulator wise speaking – to place any static object on any runway, taxiway or parking position....

There are static objects, and then there are static objects.
If someone decided to e.g place a flower pot on a centerline ;) I would probably have similar thoughts as you, but if a scenery designer decides to place stationary AC models at some gates it simulates real life scenario of some gates being unavailable. This further requires more care while taxiing to the available ones (watch out for that wingtip strike..), which to me looks just enough real-lifeish for a simulator :)
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby FlugHund » Mon May 23, 2022 9:20 pm

MariuszXC wrote in Mon May 23, 2022 8:57 pm:[...] but if a scenery designer decides to place stationary AC models at some gates it simulates real life scenario of some gates being unavailable. This further requires more care while taxiing to the available ones (watch out for that wingtip strike..), which to me looks just enough real-lifeish for a simulator :)

SidarDeha wrote in Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 pm:We have AI options and if we want to see traffic we can turn it on.

EDIT: There could be scenarios made available per airport to simulate obstacles for taxiing and parking. But to place objects there by default is not simulator like.
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog

Postby SidarDeha » Mon May 23, 2022 9:32 pm

deleted message
Last edited by SidarDeha on Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SidarDeha
Retired

Postby Isaak » Tue May 24, 2022 4:25 am

MariuszXC wrote in Mon May 23, 2022 8:57 pm:Wait a sec...

... but if a scenery designer decides to place stationary AC models at some gates it simulates real life scenario of some gates being unavailable. This further requires more care while taxiing to the available ones (watch out for that wingtip strike..), ...

I do agree ... when flying offline and without AI traffic. When flying with e.g. VATSIM, these static planes at a gate are a PITA, especially at airports with only a few free stands, as this practically makes these airports unsuitable for online flying. E.g. Boston (KBOS) is a place I never fly to for this reason: nearly every gate is occupied with static aircraft there. EDDF is also not fun for this reason. There has been talk to add a certain flag to static planes, so users are able to hide/disable them. But this requires a core code change that hasn't been made yet.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby MariuszXC » Tue May 24, 2022 7:46 am

Isaak wrote in Tue May 24, 2022 4:25 am:I do agree ... when flying offline and without AI traffic. When flying with e.g. VATSIM, these static planes at a gate are a PITA [...] There has been talk to add a certain flag to static planes, so users are able to hide/disable them. But this requires a core code change that hasn't been made yet.

I agree, different setup would be the preferred one in different use cases.
Since this has already been discussed (and presumably made its way to the devel list) I think that it would be a good candidate for submission to any upcoming Hackaton event.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Return to Flying