Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Cessna 172 won't move ... me too ... and more

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Cessna 172 won't move ... me too ... and more

Postby sf_bev » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:44 pm

I'm a gosh darn new newbie, and have experienced the bug where the Cessna 172 won't move, and it's been compounded for me. Running FlightGear 2020.3.11. New computer 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400 @ 2.60GHz, NVIDIA 1660 GPU, AV8R-01 joystick, Win10 64 bit. 8GB RAM. I added ABQ International Airport, and was unable to taxi the plane. Not tied down, etc. Parking brake off. Engine revs as I move the throttle, but it does not taxi. I've tried the things to get the plane flying after reading other posts, and was successful 1 time (but only 1 time so far). Unfortunately, I almost immediately crashed the plane while trying to get lift off the runway. Now, when I try to Fly, I immediately crash, then the voice comes on saying if I need help, run a tutorial (e.g. it actively crashes before I get a chance to do anything, complete with crashing sounds). I can repair the plane, but I can't get it to taxi at all to find my way back to the runway. I can go to the airport (ABQ), which once again sets me up with a whole plane at the head of a runway but the plane won't taxi. If I go back to one of the built-in runways, I can taxi, fly, etc. and all is right with the world.
Any ideas to help?
sf_bev

Re: Cessna 172 won't move ... me too ... and more

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:51 am

Well, you've said a lot here and it is really difficult to understand exactly which comment is an issue.

have experienced the bug where the Cessna 172 won't move

This one is actually easy. The only time this happens is when you try to relocate once the sim has started using the "Go to airport" in the menu. All you have to do if this happens is turn off the "Allow damage" in the menu. If you still want to allow damage, then turn it back on and wait a second or two and it will be unlocked and should be able to taxi or take off. In other words cycle the "Allow damage" off then on.

after reading other posts, and was successful 1 time (but only 1 time so far). Unfortunately, I almost immediately crashed the plane while trying to get lift off the runway.

This sounds like you did the above procedure successfully and then was unable to control the aircraft. That is on you and requires you practice all phases of flying an airplane.

Now, when I try to Fly, I immediately crash, then the voice comes on saying if I need help, run a tutorial (e.g. it actively crashes before I get a chance to do anything, complete with crashing sounds)

I don't understand what your trying to explain with this. It crashes when, why , how? You need to explain exactly what steps you took before it "crashed". "When I try to Fly" isn't enough, what action were you taking when the crash happened? Taxiing, rolling out on the runway, just sitting there when the sim started and it just crashed for no reason, ect?

I can repair the plane, but I can't get it to taxi at all to find my way back to the runway.

Again, why did you have to repair it, where did you repair it that you had to "find my way back to the runway"? There were steps that were taken here to get you to the point that the aircraft had to be repaired far enough from the runway that you had to find your way back?

I can go to the airport (ABQ), which once again sets me up with a whole plane at the head of a runway but the plane won't taxi.

If I go back to one of the built-in runways, I can taxi, fly, etc. and all is right with the world.

Now I am totally confused, what is the difference between ABQ and a "built in runway"? The aircraft is working correctly now at a certain runway but not at a different runway?

Please don't think I am being difficult, I truly don't understand the issues or the procedures you are taking to cause the issues you are experiencing and trying to describe.

Maybe I should ask you a series of questions.

Can you start the sim at any airport and have the aircraft behave properly?
Is it only when you try to relocate the airplane once you are in the sim using the menu option for relocating to another airport that you then have trouble with the plane not moving?
What is causing the crashing?
Is it the repairing after a crash that is causing the aircraft to be stuck and not move?
Last edited by wlbragg on Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby sf_bev » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:46 am

Thank you so much for trying to help me. In carefully clicking through steps to be able to type out clearly what I was doing, I discovered I was selecting a VOR as a starting location! (Stupid newbie!). I have no idea how I switched to that, but I'll start over and try to start at the airport.
I'm not ignoring your questions, but in trying to answer I realized I'd made a huge mistake. I'll correct that and see where I stand.
THANK YOU!
sf_bev

Postby sf_bev » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:23 am

A quick follow-up. I was able to successfully taxi and get enough lift to get in the air from the Albuquerque International Airport (KABQ)!
If you had not been patient enough to ask me all those questions, I would likely not have realized my stupid error. Thanks again.
I'm slowly learning!
sf_bev

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:20 pm

No worries, I'm glad you found out what was causing your problems.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Return to Flying